1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***Official Franco Ercoles Bespoke Thread (Brooklyn/Manhattan)***

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

the collar band is slightly crooked.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know if you're joking or not, but if it were buttoned on my neck and not on my kitchen counter it wouldn't be.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shirt and Tie Yellow Hook
    Suit Franco Ercoles
    Shoes Carmina x Epaulet

2 people like this.
  4. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

First fitting with the Man Himself! Thank you again for a wonderful experience!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Best,

DL-

1 person likes this.
  5. yosef777

yosef777 Member

I have been using Ercole for about two years and they have completed a variety of items for me from suits, jackets to overcoats. All of the work has been very good in terms of quality and service but as of this past January or so things have taken a considerable downturn in terms of service. I have had similar (un helpful) responses from both of Jeremy's replacements when I inquire as to what is going on with my orders. (This maybe attributed to their young age and lack of interest/knowledge of the sartorial matters but it is inexcusable IMO.) When I am in Manhattan my items are left in Brooklyn, when I am in Brooklyn things are left in Manhattan. When I email and text to inquire/confirm for appointments I get no response unless I follow up (and even then it does not not always occur). When I call, I get apologies and obstruction from his assistant and I usually have to call back instead receiving a return phone call as promised. I feel like I am responsible for keeping track of my orders or else they would be lost. I have used several other traveling tailors and although they are slower (understandably as they only visit every few months) at least they are professional in regards to there customer service. I have spoken to Frank and I hope he addresses the issues but I am not confident it will happen and therefore am going think twice before I patronize him as a tailor again.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. patrickBOOTH

Very true, the new help is downright awful. Won't stop me from using Frank, but I need to be on top of things to get anything done.

7. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Same experience here

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Good help is hard to find

9. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Same experience. I am in the process of trying Formosa via NMWA. I don't currently view the timeline as any different if you see Frank in Manhattan and you travel for work. His sporadic Manhattan schedule and the issues detailed above combined with regularly being out of town for the one day/week his in there makes for a long timeline. Its not his fault I have to travel, but the total combination leaves something to be desired. On the positive side, he is relentless at making sure you have exactly what you want in a finished product.

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Anyone who is about my size that wants an inexpensive intro to what Frank can do, check my signature. I have posted a few GREAT Sportcoats to just clean out the closet a bit.

11. patrickBOOTH

You mean, the hottest dad bod on the block? I don't think many fit the bill! ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Using IG as proof, I think Rob's stature is a noted step up from the dreaded dad bod, to perhaps the (my own term, admittedly not a good one) Dad who actually looks to enjoy physical activity bod lol.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

A couple questions.

Is it still possible to get good work there, if I stay on top if them?

I want to get some fall trousers. Any ideas on say about a12 ounce mid grey flannel for when it gets cold?

And another pair with at least 16 ounce wool - tweed? - when it gets really cold?

Thanks

14. Grammaton Cleric

My recent experience has been that it's incredibly difficult and frustrating to drive anything despite staying on top of them. There appears to be virtually no concept of customer service and Frank is increasingly unresponsive and somewhat arrogant in dealings. He continues to be a nice guy during in person encounters, but good luck getting him to follow through on much.

It's nice to see how their business has grown over the past few years, but that growth has come at a cost. I'd stay away.

15. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Thanks for update.

Any thoughts on potential replacements? I like getting decent trousers for around $550-$600. MTM don't tend to fit as well.

Is Gilberto a solid option?

16. Grammaton Cleric

Formosa via NMWA - I believe trousers are about $600.

Never tried Gilberto, sorry.

1 person likes this.
  17. NJDutch

NJDutch New Member

Coming out of lurking to share my experience so far if that's okay with you goodly gentlemen.

This thread was enormously helpful when doing research for where to go for a bespoke suit for my wedding. It was quite a roller coaster ride towards the last pages (yes I read most my the thread) what with the bad help and increasing prices etc! But having seen similar issues everywhere I thought I'd give ercole's a shot anyway.

I reached out via their site for pricing and got an auto email from Frank, which I replied to to no avail. Not ready to give up I messaged the Manhattan shop and quickly got a response from Scott.

Somewhere along the way I came to my senses and decided to go with made to measure.

I came in purposely to let an expert handle everything and not regale him with crap (meant endearingly of course) I read on a forum. From that angle Scott was great. He took some quick measurements to make sure mtm would work for me. Once I gave the go ahead he took full measurements to get things going.

Here's how the made to measure program works there:
    Scott took my measurements, picked fabric, lining, style etc. Then it gets sent out for a sample suit to be made. Then once that's ready you come in to try on a suit made from fabric they choose, just to see fit and required adjustments. This way the final suit is almost perfect when it comes because they send along the updated info from sample suit adjustments.

Best part is you now have a whole extra suit that you can choose to buy (cheaply) if you want. Smart idea form a marketing angle as it's hard to pass up a suit made for you! I went for it.

Went in to try on sample suit and I talked all needed alterations to that suit and pattern for final suit.

Few weeks later I picked up the finished sample suit and did first try on of final suit, which was close to perfect. Will likely try that on again once finished but so far I'm really happy with the service, process and results. Might have them do a shirt and tie too!

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought the made to measure process deserved some attention. After all, this is the thread that put me on ercole's doorstep anyway.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. PASstudy

PASstudy Senior member

Thanks for the post. I went bespoke for my wedding suit (T-14 days) and I agree, Ercole is fantastic to work with. The communication can be spotty but the work is great. Their previous front man (Jeremy) was great at communication and keeping up a presence here. Now not so much but from what I've seen the shop is doing just fine. I would say to share pics of the suit if you have 'em. I'll prolly be headed back in spring for a jacket.Congratulations!

1 person likes this.
  19. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Anyone use them for bespoke shirts and can compare them to the other makers?

20. patrickBOOTH

I do, never used other makers however.