• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***Official Franco Ercoles Bespoke Thread (Brooklyn/Manhattan)***

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, shut up and let the tailor do his job! First fitting is for the tailor, not you to screw up.

Well it looks like I'll be keeping my mouth shut for the most part. My only concern is if the fit is too tight or too baggy for my taste I would like to speak up. Some of the stuff you guys discuss is over my head and I just want the suit to look good.

bant

Reaction score

Well it looks like I'll be keeping my mouth shut for the most part. My only concern is if the fit is too tight or too baggy for my taste I would like to speak up. Some of the stuff you guys discuss is over my head and I just want the suit to look good.

It's your suit dude - fine to give a little guidance on the look you're going for, but don't micromanage.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quote:
Certainly don't keep quiet, and let your opinion be known. Forex isn't entirely correct, and neither is pBooth - the true answer lies somewhere between their respective positions.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

That's fine, you should have had the general discussion with Frank already about your preferences on general fit. Outside of nitpicky stuff that exists on the interwebz, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My first suit was really wonky for the first fitting. The back was way too tight and the sleeves were way short. Obvious stuff like that they notice immediately, which seems to be your concern, so I wouldn't stress. They cleaned it up twice. It's still slightly tighter then my second (which was pretty much perfect for the first fitting), and it could likely be cleaned up further, which they are more than happy to do (kettle bells caused my lats to expand between items, and I stopped recently so I haven't bothered to have them clean it up). But if you see it pulling anywhere, or you want it to be a little more snug, just ask Frank his opinion. I have about a bunch of random things, and I'm a total noob at this stuff. I always learn something new, and he either convinces me that it's a bad idea or agrees that we should try it.

You are in good hands there, but don't be afraid to ask a question if you have it; as long as it's honest and polite, the worst thing that happens is you learn something.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is true about Frank. He prefers close to loose. I had to really pull his leg to get the chests I like on my suits.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
anyone get an overcoat from him?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have one.

b601ecdb.jpg

728b714d.jpg

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYI has I believe. No surprise there...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Not bad. Was thinking of a fawn covert coat ...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
yeah but it's very thick and warm. I kinda want a medium weight "topcoat" for days when a suit is not enough and my two other coats are too much.

So, I would change yours in the follownig ways:

-Rake the lapel points up a bit
-Narrow the wrap a hair
-bring the show buttons in by an inch or so
-line up the pockets with the bottom buttons

Other than that, it looks good. And really, I can't say anything bad about the way it lays, my changes are purely stylistic.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw him yesterday and I actually mentioned to him the top buttons getting moved in closer. It is something that has been bugging me. The pockets on all of my stuff post this coat have been lowered. I too realized they were a bit high. It is very drapey, I didn't want that too pinched look. Comfy chest.

If you get a fawn covert coat would you get it with a ticket pocket? I see them with ticket pockets so often I am thinking they should be there, but for a city coat I am not sure that you would want it.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
no ticket for me

etkl

Reaction score

anyone get an overcoat from him?

They just made me a SB coat with a detachable (button-in) belt. I don't know how to post pictures but if you want to see what it looks like (with the belt), there's a picture posted on the FrancoErcole tumbler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads