1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***Official Franco Ercoles Bespoke Thread (Brooklyn/Manhattan)***

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, Dec 7, 2010.

1. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

My mistake, thought it was a touch higher.

2. JL724

JL724 Senior member

I haven't used Steed, but I have used a fair number of their much more expensive counterparts on the Row and I think the quality of NSM garments is every bit as good. Fit is where the English tailors excel a bit, but if you are patient and work with Mina to get your pattern down, I still think they are the absolute best value in bespoke tailoring right now and Steed compared to the other English tailors is a great value as well.

Ercoles seems to produce some ok stuff, but their new price point and location don't even make them a consideration for me personally. If anything, I think they are a step below (which is a completely subjective and stupid term, but I will use it anyway) from NSM and the good English / NYC shops.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. haganah

haganah Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/t/286016/best-bespoke-tailoring-in-new-york-city/0_100#post_5176455

There have been a lot of threads in the last several years here and elsewhere with that connotation. I thought he was an absolute sweetheart and my fiance wanted me to use him after dealing with the woman in his office.

I have spoken with Mina, Ercole, Raphael, Steed, and David. The guy at Winston Tailors. Even Carl at CEGO. Also got my father measured at Proper Suit. Every single one was Fine to deal with if not very kind. In fact i would say David was more responsive to me than Ercole. I am not that different in real life than i am on here and as you can tell, i can be very forward when i find something disagreeable. Unless i only manage to catch people on their good days there is no bonus i would give to people for being "nice". Being nice is a minimum for me and i wouldnt work with them regardless. I am too fricking stressed to deal with assholes for a bargain.

Ok that was a long diatribe from me :)

My point was made...at that price point Ercole isnt for me. If they drop, i would love to consider it.

4. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

If the choice was between NSM and Ercoles before, do you think the new price is really a big swinger in the decision? Location/convenience I can certainly understand, along with your opinion of their product (obviously more important), but they've been relatively close in price for a while now (I wasn't around for the $1500 days unfortunately); at least close enough to where it wouldn't stop me from paying a bit more for NSM if that's who I wanted to go with.

Honestly, if you have the budget, and you are between NSM and Ercoles, just get something made by each and go from there; unless of course neither of Ercoles locations really work for you.

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

You would be paying less, not more.

6. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Yes now, but I'm saying previously, before the latest price increase from Ercoles. In Haganah's case, he made the decision to go visit Ercoles based on the price right before they raised it, when it was slightly less than NSM. I'm just saying that price difference wouldn't have stopped me from choosing NSM.

7. haganah

haganah Senior member

Let me clarify one other thing. Timing is a big factor. It's a lot harder to work with any of the guys outside the US if you need something quicker. Ercole would win hands down if timing is a priority. If it isn't, you don't have a long relationship with them and haven't nailed down what you consider your "perfect fit"...not sure what the reason would be to pick Ercole over NSM.

8. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Timing I could certainly see as an issue, traveling tailors certainly are at a disadvantage on that front. But if you feel strongly that NSM is superior for a new customer, then you should go with them and take the hit on timing (or is this for a wedding where you don't have that option?). I was between NSM and Ercoles when choosing, neither are convenient for me as far as location goes and timing wasn't a big issue. I don't want to get in to an NSM vs Ercole debate and I prefer some stuff from each to the other based on what I've seen. Plus, I've only had stuff made from one of them, so my thoughts on the other don't really carry much weight. If you are interested in my reasoning, feel free to shoot me a PM. Best of luck either way.

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Without :deadhorse:, I'm in the same boat.

In my experience, the only way in which Chan and NSM aren't superior to Ercole is turnaround time.

10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Is this your first ever avatar change? I'm shocked.

1 person likes this.
  11. JL724

JL724 Senior member

The choice was clear before (NSM) and it is even more clear now that Ercole has raised their prices. Ercole may be in NYC, but it is ungodly inconvenient to get to. I would rather wait for a traveling tailor for 4 months, then venture out to their shop.

Don't get me wrong, they make a very nice product at a great price point for what you get. IMHO, there is just a better alternative that works for me.

12. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Sorry, the second part of my comment was intended for haganah, you made your stance perfectly clear.

13. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I felt it was time to fully acknowledge the influence that Lino has had not just on me but on the #.

2 people like this.
  14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

The train ride does suck to Southern Brooklyn. 13th Avenue is not Bay Ridge though, its Dyker Heights, for about 7 Avenues. Bay Ridge ends at the BQE and is nestled into the corner that is bordered by the water and the BQE. Robert Moses intended to preserve Bay Ridge as an upper middle class community by separating Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Sunset Park (three VERY working class neighborhoods) and in that he succeeded. Enough geography, how bout some pics of newer Ercole stuff?

15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Rob, I'll be up there tomorrow if you feel like calling in sick haha.

16. NewYorkIslander

If I called out during the first week, I'd better be dead.

17. jacksonvillian

jacksonvillian Active Member

I get the argument for Benson and sunset, but have you been into the 80s in Dyker? Those people don't work. It's like shore road but with yards and grass instead of a still distant, dirty river.

Also, I think when people say the train ride sucks they really mean that the walk from the train sucks. Which is very true, but there is a shop in Midtown about 10 feet from the E/M 53rd street stop.

I used to ride my bike to and from the train station, but I got jacked yesterday so, alas, no more bike. Maybe if I write in Guiliani on the ballot, he'll personally find and return my possessions to me. Worth a shot.

Also, if you really want to go to Brooklyn but don't want to walk: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-the-worlds-lightest-electric-vehicl?ref=live

18. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Yea Dyker heights is really ballin'. Have you guys ever been in the neighborhood during xmas time? The xmas decorations are really over the top and nice. And dont forget the mobster's Lamborginis in the driveway.

19. NewYorkIslander

You're right in the fact that that area is stupendus now, but at the time of the BQE construction, it was the first "suburb" from those working class communities (especially Italians from Bensonhurst and Gravesend). These were the folks who were most likely second generation Americans and that area of Dyker was the first step in upward mobility for families (including mine...we had a house on 82nd between 11th and 12th. They were far from rich, but yes, they were not the working class immigrants that the last generation before them was.

More importantly, what the hell happened??!! You ok man? Was it late?

20. jacksonvillian

jacksonvillian Active Member

Interesting. A house on 82nd between 11th and 12th is well over a million nowadays.

I'm fine though, it was a side effect of food poisoning induced carelessness.