1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***Official Franco Ercoles Bespoke Thread (Brooklyn/Manhattan)***

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, Dec 7, 2010.

1. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Don't worry about the Supers thing too much if you aren't wearing a suit often. Yes, they are less durable in general, but if your typical outfit is not a suit, then durability becomes less of an issue. I wear suits less, so I am open to more luxe fabrics. Jackets and trousers I go for sturdier stuff as they get far more wear.

Shirts come out good, not the best value around, but I still use them and am extremely pleased with what I have from them.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just fell out of favor.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  3. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

thanks again Gents.

I will try to get there tomorrow and look into trousers first, as that is a staple I need. Ideally I want 3 spring/summer weight trousers: navy, light grey and dark grey/charcoal. Probably makes more sense to get one pair first and see how they turn out before getting the next two?

I will look into shirts, too.

Any guidance on trousers/shirts appreciated. I will watchout for spread collar size, but I confess I like the cutaway collar....

4. patrickBOOTH

Minnis fresco trousers are hands down the coolest wearing, specifically the high twist 8/9 oz. The 10oz is good too. Also look at the Scabal tropical book.

My favorite shirting is Acorn Cambridge, very loose open weave, however it is pretty expensive. A good all around shirting is Rubinelli broadcloth.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

How does the high twist 8/9 compare to the 2-ply 9/10?

6. patrickBOOTH

Wears cooler, just as strong or maybe even stronger. The drape on the heavier is slightly better obviously, but if you are wearing a suit in 90+ degrees and humidity like we get in NY I highly recommend the 8/9 oz. fwiw, I wear the heavier stuff year round with an overcoat and if its not too windy no problems, especially when indoors is usually overheated.

7. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Thanks! I'm looking for summer odd trousers and overheat easily, so sounds like a good option.

When you say you wear the heavy stuff more often, do you mean the 9/10 or the 15/16? And do you get the trousers lined? I hear that fresco can have transparency issues, but equally I would have thought lining partially defeats the breathability it's meant to have.

8. forex

forex Senior member

There are no transparency issues with pants, just get them unlined. As for the coat, get it partially lined and it will wear lighter and maybe cooler.

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

I wear the 10oz almost year round. I get everything fully lined in emerzine

10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

ermazine

11. patrickBOOTH

12. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I have a pair of high twist 8/9 fresco navy pants, unlined. They are fine but need to wear dark colored underwear.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

I ordered trousers with Scabal in grey. They should be a nice spring/summer.

Looking forwards to the outcome...

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I seem to recall (maybe wrongly) that NYI posted some information about Ercole's MTM suit program recently, but I can't find it. Does anyone have details about fittings, what's done by machine vs. hand, which factory is used (assuming one is), impressions of the final product etc.? I know, I should just email or call them, but I'm interested to hear from customers as well. Thanks!

15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

My two friends are having their first fitting for MTM on the 4th. I'll let you know the details I can get.

16. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

That would be awesome. Thanks!

17. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I think measurements are all done in Brooklyn (or Manhattan), and the suits are made in China, but are fully canvassed. Jeremy (I believe) wears them all the time and they look damn good on him. They must do the minor alterations needed once the product is shipped to them.

18. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

All measurements are definitely done in Brooklyn, or Manhattan.

19. patrickBOOTH

The buttons and buttonholes are done in Brooklyn by hand.

1 person likes this.
  20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Although not Ercoles, my most recent suits have been 160's and 180's, and I love them. They feel and look fantastic all day long. pB makes a good point about longevity, but to me they are worth it.