• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Fountain Pen Aficionados Thread

EdT

Reaction score
The pen is mightier than the sword and lays better in your breast pocket as well !
Anyone here have an EDC pen in their jacket pocket and use it on a daily basis ?
Always respect youth that write with one ! ;)

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we just make this pens in general? I'm currently about those entry level pens, Lamy swift/safari, metropolitan. Have some nicer Cross and Parker ballpoints, and an older 18k waterman fountain. I find that most of my writing is in my planner, though, and not necessarily note taking or letter writing, so fountain pens have become less appealing. I do want to try an EF nib fountain to see how I like that in my planner.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i find european ef/ japanese f works pretty well on more common paper. i have a kaweco sport in ef that works fine. a little scratchy, but thats the trade-off

my most use pen atm is pilot's custom 823. amber body, medium nib, and iroshizuku ink

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of pens, but I find I end up only using them for specific purposes and an old Montblanc ballpoint gets 95% of the use.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of pens, but I find I end up only using them for specific purposes and an old Montblanc ballpoint gets 95% of the use.

I'm starting to look at Montblanc for everyday/everything use but don't really know where to start

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has tried the Conklin Duraflex Omniflex nib? If so, how does it compare to vintage flex nibs or the Pilot 912? Online reviews look good

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you're selling your skill with stub nibs a bit short, sir.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has tried the Conklin Duraflex Omniflex nib? If so, how does it compare to vintage flex nibs or the Pilot 912? Online reviews look good

It's good for the price point and I like it better than, for example, Noodler's steel flex nibs, but it's got a few issues. Hard starts are frequent, it railroads all the time unless you prime the nib/feed, and the upstrokes without pressure are not fine enough for really significant line variation. But it's also a good bit less expensive than a 912 with an FA nib (which still has some railroading issues) or an Aurora or Esterbrook "modern" flex nib. I haven't tried the new Montegrappa or Montblanc flex nibs yet.

None of these compare to vintage Waterman or Omas nibs or a custom from Mottishaw or Mike Masayama.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's good for the price point and I like it better than, for example, Noodler's steel flex nibs, but it's got a few issues. Hard starts are frequent, it railroads all the time unless you prime the nib/feed, and the upstrokes without pressure are not fine enough for really significant line variation. But it's also a good bit less expensive than a 912 with an FA nib (which still has some railroading issues) or an Aurora or Esterbrook "modern" flex nib. I haven't tried the new Montegrappa or Montblanc flex nibs yet.

None of these compare to vintage Waterman or Omas nibs or a custom from Mottishaw or Mike Masayama.

Am I crazy for liking modern flex pens over vintage ones? Specifically the Pilot FA nib?

I have a vintage Waterman Lady Patricia with a flexible Ideal nib. I like it for its unique writing experience, but it's super wet and hard to control. I don't think it would be classified as a wet noodle either.

Versus the Pilot 912 with an FA nib, I can get a ton of line variation and it works on even OK paper. If you don't press down o it hard, you still get a soft writing experience.

It doesn't keep up as well as my Waterman, but I also find that I only flex for certain parts of my writing, such as headlines or something. The pen keeps up well enough for a few words.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has reminded me that I have a bunch of pens I havent used in quite a while. I think I will give them a quick cleaning tonight and ink a couple of them up. Specifically, I have a flexible nib Noodler's from 5 or 6 years ago. I cant remember if its an Ahab, or the precurser to that series, but I think it will be fun to play around with it again.

Shaunm88

Reaction score
I have sold off most of my fountain pen collection and now only keep a select few that are meaningful. Here is a small selection of them

L-R
Sailor Pro Gear Realo
Sailor Pro Gear Sky
Visconti Wall Street Limited Edtion
Omas Paragon T2 in Rose Gold Limited Edition
Omas Paragon Arco - Older model before the larger size
Montblanc Rogue Et Noir Special Edition in Coral
Montblanc Heritage 1912 Retractable nib
Montblanc Tribute to the Montblanc. Legrand size
Montblanc 146 Bordeaux
Pilot Vanishing Point Limited Edition of 2015
Pelikan M800 Gold Raden Limited Edtion
Lamy 2000 Blue limited edition
783F1DEC-B992-4986-BFAD-E7B4C34FCFE6.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads