• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official fit guide

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i did a search and found a post were people were describing the tightness/baggines of jeans on a scale of 1-10. Great idea. BUt i didn't find any pictures describing what's a 3 or a 5 so ultimatly it's useless since people have different ideas of what's a 4 (for example).

So i propose making a scale of 1-10 with *pictures* describing how tight or baggy it is. This standarized scale will make thing easier because things are 100 times easier when you know the fit somebody is after.

opinions? tell me if has been done before. I think it would be a great reference.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea, but it would still be of limited use, since tight on me might be slim or even loose on someone else, or vice versa.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Hey, I've got an idea. How about sticking the Jeans Measurement Index back on top. And, no, I will not contribute any measurements, but I'd be happy to take, take, take!

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
It's not a bad idea, but it would still be of limited use, since tight on me might be slim or even loose on someone else, or vice versa.

you are not looking at it from the right angle. I am not saying that we will say something like

"slim jims are a 2 and RRDS are a 5 on the fit scale"...

it's more like "i usually wear size 32 and they fit like a 4, what size should i get in APC (or other brand with weird sizing) so they fit like a 4?"

the numbers 1-10 will only describe the FIT not the JEANS.

Exception. Certain jeans have a certain range, for example long johns can not be worn as loose as RRDS so then the scale can be used to describe how tight or loose they can be worn (problaby 1-3).

ron

Reaction score
I agree with saucemaster, the scale is only relevant if you have the same body size as the person rating the fit. Let's say person_1 is 30 inch waist and 34 inch seat and person_2 is 30 inch waist and 32 inch seat. The same pair of jeans will fit tighter on person_1 than on person_2. It seems that the scale would need to be based on actual jean measurements and not just how they fit on someone.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
you are not looking at it from the right angle. I am not saying that we will say something like

"slim jims are a 2 and RRDS are a 5 on the fit scale"...

it's more like "i usually wear size 32 and they fit like a 4, what size should i get in APC (or other brand with weird sizing) so they fit like a 4?"

the numbers 1-10 will only describe the FIT not the JEANS.

Ah, I getcha. So more just rating jeans in comparison to each other, then. So "if a 32 RRDS fits me like a 4, what size in APC Rescues would I need to purchase to get the same fit?" Which in theory relies much less on people comparing body types. I still think you'll run into problems because different cuts still drape differently on different body types, but it's minimized.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you are getting a little closer, but im still not understood. Your example is one of the uses, but there could be many more.
What im proposin is just a scale that describes the fit from tight to baggy in a scale of 1-10 (with pictures). Another use is that insted of describing a fit you could just say a number.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What im proposin is just a scale that describes the fit from tight to baggy in a scale of 1-10 (with pictures). Another use is that insted of describing a fit you could just say a number.

I don't think that this is really useful, mainly because fit cannot be described in terms of bagginess alone. For example, and antifit jean with skinny legs and a loose jean with baggy thighs could not be put on the same scale.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
Japanese clothing sites attempt to do this and it's unreliable as hell. They use a 1-5 scale for tightness.

beefcake

Reaction score
why not just have a thread where you post pics of how your dior x eternals fits you and what size they are, and your weight/height, with pre-stretch/post-stretch measurements of everything useful (W/L/thigh/hem/etc). i believe there's a thread just like that on the other SF and its nice.. called something like "how jeans fit [...]". very usefull if people contribute. i would.
i think scales are the wrong way. how tight on a 1-10 scale is 4/5 buttons buttonable? 3/5? and how baggy are a W38 on my 5 year old sister? i mean, it'd get hard to define tight/baggy.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I don't think that this is really useful, mainly because fit cannot be described in terms of bagginess alone. For example, and antifit jean with skinny legs and a loose jean with baggy thighs could not be put on the same scale.

in that case it wouln't be too much work to just say "loose on top like a 6 and tight in the legs like a 3".

Pointing out how *specific* jeans fit is not really the point. but W/E, i think i explained well enough.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in that case it wouln't be too much work to just say "loose on top like a 6 and tight in the legs like a 3".

Pointing out how *specific* jeans fit is not really the point. but W/E, i think i explained well enough.

Yeah, I guess that that could be done. Still sounds to me like a lot of work for very little payoff though. I don't see how this is really more valuable than a pic... I'm not about to stop anyone who wants to do this project though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics