1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

(Official?) Fit Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Edgar Allan Pwn, Apr 11, 2011.

1. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Admittedly I was wearing no belt, so probably not, no. They are baggy around the legs even pulled up.

It's just that the distance between your crotch and knee compared to the length of your trunk indicates to me that you may have high rise pants that you're wearing way down around where you wear your bluejeans.

2. SartorialConductor

SartorialConductor Well-Known Member

Could pick this polo university club jacket from GW. Is the fit worth it for a Fashion noob such as myself? Sorry for phone pick but I was on lunch and moving fast.
    [​IMG]

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^ impossible to tell from this angle.... can't see length, shape, etc.

4. SartorialConductor

^ impossible to tell from this angle.... can't see length, shape, etc.
    Thanks for letting me know. I will try again if I can get out tomorrow and it's still there.

5. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

Could pick this polo university club jacket from GW. Is the fit worth it for a Fashion noob such as myself?

Sorry for phone pick but I was on lunch and moving fast.

It looks OK, considering the pic/angle.
    I believe the university club line is the bottom of the barrel of RL, so unless you really like it and it's $4 or $5 , might be better to hold off until you find better quality.

6. SartorialConductor

It's 4 bucks but I didn't know what to put it with or if I'd need it tailored. It was still there today...

7. bilge316

bilge316 Member

Hi all,

Questions on the fit of two suits. These are my first post-sf suit purchases..been lurking for a while.

The first suit is new, so the pants are unhemmed (probably causing the weird look of the pants).
    I think that both could be taken in around the waist and maybe a bit shorter in the sleeves but am looking forward to your thoughts. Please excuse the mess in the background (moving).

Suit 1
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Suit 2
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

It's 4 bucks but I didn't know what to put it with or if I'd need it tailored. It was still there today...
    I know what you're saying..''just $4" right? I, just recently, used to think like this too. But someone on this thread or another made a good point, you make 10 or 20 bad $4 purchases and you're out $80. Plus whatever alteration costs there are. So even if you just need the sleeves done, that's usually $20.
    Now you're $25 into a blazer that is really just a $30 blazer. Not such a deal.
    Instead, much better deal to be $25 or $50 into a sports coat that is really a $800 coat with better fabric, construction etc.
    Not knocking you, just trying to pass along knowledge that was passed on to me, and keeping you from making the mistakes I've already made.[​IMG]

9. SartorialConductor

I know what you're saying..''just $4" right? I, just recently, used to think like this too. But someone on this thread or another made a good point, you make 10 or 20 bad $4 purchases and you're out $80. Plus whatever alteration costs there are. So even if you just need the sleeves done, that's usually $20. Now you're $25 into a blazer that is really just a $30 blazer. Not such a deal. Instead, much better deal to be $25 or $50 into a sports coat that is really a $800 coat with better fabric, construction etc. Not knocking you, just trying to pass along knowledge that was passed on to me, and keeping you from making the mistakes I've already made.[​IMG]
    While I understand I'm starting pretty much from scratch and paying for grad school and a wedding. No clothes isn't really an option either, at least not when you're hairy like me [​IMG] I have bought three suits and I fontina how any of them look. That's over 1200 bucks so I need to try something different. I live in Dayton OH so the fancy stuff isn't falling into my lap. Suggestions are appreciated, knowing my situation.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Hi all, Questions on the fit of two suits. These are my first post-sf suit purchases..been lurking for a while. The first suit is new, so the pants are unhemmed (probably causing the weird look of the pants). I think that both could be taken in around the waist and maybe a bit shorter in the sleeves but am looking forward to your thoughts. Please excuse the mess in the background (moving). Suit 1 [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Suit 2 [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Welcome to Styleforum. The fit of both suits is acceptable, though I prefer the fit of the second suit but its hard to guage. I am more concerned about your posture. I fee like I am on the high seas with these photos.. Suit 1 photo series- Left Photo: Listing hard a port Center Photo: taking on a wave, levitation or both Right Photo: Listing to starboard Suit 2 photo series; Left Photo: Here you are returning to your old ways again, listing to port Center Photo: Still waters (and the best pose of all) Right Photo: rolling back to starboard. It appears that you have slightly excess fabric between the shoulder blades that can be corrected with minor alterations, but again, I am basing this on the off-center poses. Both appear to be nice suits and I can find no other issue that needs looking into. Again, congratulations on your purchases as they are both nice colours. Cuff lengths, front quarters and overall jacket length all appear fine.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum.
    The fit of both suits is acceptable, though I prefer the fit of the second suit but its hard to guage.
    I am more concerned about your posture. I fee like I am on the high seas with these photos..

Going to have to disagree here.

The first suit, especially, has short front balance. Basically, the waist indent is too far above his natural waist. Looks weird.

Plus, both suits don't lay flat to the chest. You can see the prominently in the side pics.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Going to have to disagree here.

The first suit, especially, has short front balance. Basically, the waist indent is too far above his natural waist. Looks weird.

Plus, both suits don't lay flat to the chest. You can see the prominently in the side pics.

I'll agree with you to disagree with myself. Certainly not the best fits on either but he will pass on the street.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Behold -- my quest for the perfect-ish unstructured sport coat. This one's a completely unlined cotton job in navy pinstripe. Minus the sleeves, I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me (a) whether it fits OK, and (b) whether it's summer business casual-appropriate, or (c) just summer-appropriate. That...would...be...AWESOME! Thanks. [​IMG]

14. bilge316

bilge316 Member

Thanks for all the great feedback. The seas must have been choppy that day in the apt.

15. Baverso

Baverso Well-Known Member

16. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleeves are too long and something seems up with the upper arm, but basically the suit looks good. Less enthused by the shirt. Feels like the collar is drooping a bit under your chin.

17. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The shirt's collar points look too long. The sheer size of the collar compared to the wearer's head - distracting.

18. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

I tried this suit on - no alterations yet. [​IMG] [​IMG] Considering a tailor tweaks a few things - is it a keeper? And yes, I know, no pocketsquare...

19. landshark

landshark Senior member

Definitely a keeper. That looks great. Care to share the maker?

20. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

SuitSupply, one of their London-Cut models. 40L.