(Official?) Fit Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Edgar Allan Pwn, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

If the front balance were short, the skirt should stand away from him and it seems to sit flat which is why I feel it is a strap issue, not a balance issue.

The strap is the measurement from the center back neck to the front breastline and is affected by the position of the neck point. In this case it seems the neck point was incorrectly positioned, resulting in a short start which makes the fronts scissor and hike (watch how the plaid lifts toward center front and the vertical lines converge toward the hem- very obvious in the skirt of this coat). The opposite of this would be a coat whose strap was too long and which swings away at the bottom (affectionately known as a "swinger").

[​IMG]

Wonderful post.

Can you clarify the definition of neck point. Where exactly is that on the jacket?

The point where the jacket collar/lapel seperates from the shirt collar?

2. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

I'm too scared to post in my own thread.

See? That was terrifying.

3. either/or

either/or Senior member

Wonderful post.
    -agree, forgot to thank jefferyd. (thanks jefferyd, you continue to amaze. +a nice blog)

EAP, lol [​IMG]

4. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^Thanks!

The neck point is the point on the coat front where the shoulder seam intersects the neckline- one of the most crucial points to the fit of the coat.

Hey Foo- what can I get with Foo points? Can I trade them in for Anydpoints? There's someone over there who needs a few.

5. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

Okay, so in a last-ditch effort to determine whether to keep the suit or return it and eat the shipping, I've tried a re-shoot, this time from further away and with more zoom so as to mitigate the effect of lens and perspective distortion.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And in this last pic I tugged at the lapels a bit to see if I could get them to look like they were rolled a bit closer to the button. I'm undecided on the results. Frankly, I'm leaning towards return.

[​IMG]

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Well I'm glad all of this came up. The coat was already heading in to the tailor this afternoon because I did want to slim it a bit.

Mktitsworth, do you buy 40L jackets? Your profile says you wear 40Rs. All of your jackets are too long, too wide in the chest, and lack open quarters. You might even need a 38R.

Nope. 40R. Though, when that measurement was originally taken I was 30 lbs heavier. I was remeasured this weekend at 38R, but I've been told by everyone it depends upon who makes the jacket. I've tried on a few short jackets, but I usually don't like how short they are.

What makes you say they're too long? They just cover my butt and divide my body pretty much in half, as I understand that they should.

7. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

Okay, so in a last-ditch effort to determine whether to keep the suit or return it and eat the shipping, I've tried a re-shoot, this time from further away and with more zoom so as to mitigate the effect of lens and perspective distortion.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And in this last pic I tugged at the lapels a bit to see if I could get them to look like they were rolled a bit closer to the button. I'm undecided on the results. Frankly, I'm leaning towards return.

[​IMG]

BOOM HEADSHOT

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

What makes you say they're too long? They just cover my butt and divide my body pretty much in half, as I understand that they should.
    They extend past your knuckles in the front. See the green line. Makes you look short when you are of average height. [​IMG]

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

FIT # 4

Okay, I'm in.

Again...please try to ignore the lack of hair control. It's being allowed to max out in anticipation of a stylist's impending ministrations.

Meanwhile, this 42R H-F Canterbury jumped off a thrift store pipe rack into my arms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posing to show the fit was...awkward, to say the least.

Gentlemen, please discuss. It feels a bit roomy around the middle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pocket flap inadvertently tucked in...
    [​IMG]

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Digmenow, the fit is hard to discern because of the way you are standing. The pictures are also taken from a downward angle.

Watch this video and you'll see what I'm talking about

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Digmenow, the fit is hard to discern because of the way you are standing. The pictures are also taken from a downward angle.

I used to think I was a normal height. It turns out that all of the women in my professional life are freakishly tall.

13. mktitsworth

Excellent vid. Thanks for sharing.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Excellent vid. Thanks for sharing.

Check out the rest of Alden's vids. They're all really informative. He runs the London Lounge.

15. mktitsworth

Check out the rest of Alden's vids. They're all really informative. He runs the London Lounge.

Figured that was the same name. I've got the site bookmarked.