1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fiorentini + Baker Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by a la mode, May 17, 2012.

1. a la mode

a la mode Active Member

I was looking for an exclusive thread on just Fiorentini + Baker and could not find one. I just bought the Elf's and I could not be happier. These boots had a perfect fit the minute I put them on. Anyone have any experience with any other Fiorentini + Baker footwear as these fit so well and look so good that I am considering buying more Fiorentini + Baker!
    *note* I have absolutely no association with the company nor do I work in retail - I just love my new boots![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alexksquared

alexksquared New Member

keep us updated on how they wear in, I have been looking at getting some 745's for a while now

3. a la mode

a la mode Active Member

Will do. The 745's look amazing as-well!

4. tellure

tellure Senior member

I'm a big F+B fan.. I have a pair of Elf boots that I wear pretty much all the time. They're really general purpose, work with a lot of different stuff.

And damn they're comfortable. I do wear 'em with an insole for a bit more cushion, but I do that with all my other boots (e.g. Shoto, Officine Creative) and these are still the most comfortable for me. The lining leather is really soft and the split at the top of the boot gives the foot a big range of motion without pressure on the calf. They also wear in pretty well.. even after 2 yrs of heavy wear the outside still looks pretty new (some pics further down - medium brown suede). The heel liners / stitching did eventually break down, but the cobbler was able to stitch 'em back up.

I kinda wonder about where the quality of this brand is headed though. The new Elf's I handled at Barney's felt a bit less well-made than the older ones.. the old pair of black leather ones I had were much softer.

Just for kicks, here are some pics of F+B's I've owned / sold:

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Kinda wish they made the Elf's in more leather colors though (as opposed to suede).. saw this grey leather one on their website a couple years ago but I've never seen it in a store. Probably long gone:

[​IMG]

There are some grey suede ones out (in Europe at least.. link) that look kinda cool - pics below. Only problem is that grey suede tends to get dirty and not look that great IMO. I have a pair of the Esso model in grey suede which I haven't worn that much and they're already a bit dirty.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
    4 people like this.
  5. a la mode

a la mode Active Member

Wow thanks for pointing out these different styles and variations, I never knew Elf's existed in these colors!

6. tellure

tellure Senior member

Here's a couple more.. from Madison (link):

Brown nubuck? This site calls it "Bernabeu":

[​IMG]

Dark brown leather:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  7. onijo84

onijo84 Senior member

I find F+B boots to be decent beaters if you get them on sale for > $200+ . They are somewhere in the range of OC & N.D.C. I have the GO2 in suede. Got them because the shape was great and the price was reasonably low. I personally feel that their older models were well constructed compared to the recent ones. Not a big fan of their boots shape though. No issues with the construction on the pair i have. Staying up well. The guy over at Gimme shoes told me that they do stay up well and it was one of the reasons why they continued stocking F+B. I just hope they can keep up and at least bring their quality a notch higher to the likes of N.d.C.

8. 1234

1234 Senior member

Just got a pair of the elf boots as well. For $425 I am very impressed. Look great and feel awesome.

9. a la mode

a la mode Active Member

Good to hear. They are amazing boots, I am still loving mine and wear them whenever I can.

10. lasciv

lasciv New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]i'm a serious boot fetishist and my F+B Elf gives me total vascular eclipse.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. a la mode

a la mode Active Member

12. tellure

tellure Senior member

Just wanted to mention that this french shop seems to have pretty good prices on F+B. The Elf in light grey (pictured above) is ~US$320 after shipping I believe, which is a lot cheaper than buying here in the US.

http://www.basalt.fr/shop/liste.php?id_fabricant=16

I have no affiliation with this store

13. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. Any idea on customs though?

14. tellure

tellure Senior member

Not sure.. only time I've bought boots from Europe it was from Stylebop and their prices include duties. You could try and figure it out from the Harmonized Tariff Schedule but you might go blind trying to figure it out..

15. Sybaris

Sybaris Member

received a pair of black leather elfs in the mail this week and agree with other posts, they're great looking but the construction is a bit questionable. One boot is a little difficult to get on but fits fine. The other you can see on the bottom where the cobbler put two tacks a little high, took them out and put them in line with the others. Nobody will ever see that but still, maybe they should have sent them to an outlet store.

16. Sybaris

Sybaris Member

Couldn't resist.

Got another pair this week from a different retailer and learned a thing or two.

Going back to a comment Tellure wrote about a pair he received from Barneys not being of very good quality................. I learned that Barneys has a contract with F+B so are a special run. The first pair I got were from Barney's, the second pair I got were a stock item from Gimme Shoes. The pair from GS were better fit and quality. Also, if you buy used you can tell the difference because a Barney's pair will have the U.S. size stamped on the bottom where as the others will have the Euro size stamp.

17. sholom

sholom Senior member

How would you compare the quality of f+b to that of MOMA? Thanks.

18. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

are you looking to buy on sale or at retail? 'cause buttero seems nicer than both brands and is about the same retail price.

as for f+b and moma, i actually like the finishing on Momas a littler better, and from my experience Moma's full-grain leather is a little more supple. But when it comes to things like nubuck or suede, F+B seems to have the better options. F+B's nubuck for one is really great

oh, and keep in mind f+b fits a bit narrower, at least for me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  19. Nil

Nil Senior member

I agree with Bam's assessment.

20. sholom

sholom Senior member

I'm looking at one on sale. I cant really drop $450 on a pair of shoes. Thanks for the opinion.