• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

JO3B

Reaction score
aren't you just gonna sell that bag in a couple of months because you can't wear it as a law student?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JO3B
aren't you just gonna sell that bag in a couple of months because you can't wear it as a law student?

hah very funny but its ok since its my camera bag which will outlast my time in school

torontolaker

Reaction score
anyone got pictures of the Filson small duffle? I'm considering it for daily purposes. I hope it's really really soft and not rigid in form and bulky.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
hah very funny but its ok since its my camera bag which will outlast my time in school

I wore aldens to a frat party last night. you just need to rock your **** (within reason) and **** the world

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone who has a mackinaw cruiser or double mackinaw give their impressions?
is the double significantly warmer?
how does either compare to a standard pea coat?

i'm looking for something to keep warm in a new england winter. walks in the woods, shoveling snow, driving around, going out at night, etc.

any insight is appreciated

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a mac cruiser in black size 40. It keeps me warm enough as long as I wear a hat, gloves and the right socks. One must remember it does not matter how good a coat is if you fail to dress properly. The double is downright hot. It has to be pretty cold if you want to wear it while being active.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I've got a mac cruiser in black size 40. It keeps me warm enough as long as I wear a hat, gloves and the right socks. One must remember it does not matter how good a coat is if you fail to dress properly. The double is downright hot. It has to be pretty cold if you want to wear it while being active.

thanks very much for the info. neither is lined, correct?
is the cruiser good in say, 10 degrees with a below zero wind chill?
i'm just wondering if the crusier will be warm enough on its own (with layers underneath, hat, gloves, etc)

is the crusier at all form fitting or is it "boxy"? worried about wind blowing in

thanks again

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
thanks very much for the info. neither is lined, correct?
is the cruiser good in say, 10 degrees with a below zero wind chill?
i'm just wondering if the crusier will be warm enough on its own (with layers underneath, hat, gloves, etc)

is the crusier at all form fitting or is it "boxy"? worried about wind blowing in

thanks again

Yes it is warm enough. It's a bit boxy but it is long enough to keep most of the wind out. If you layer then wind is not an issue. I wear mine deer hunting in 15 degree temps and stay warm.

torontolaker

Reaction score
i cannot believe nobody has the small duffle by Filson and answer my question.
facepalm.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by torontolaker
i cannot believe nobody has the small duffle by Filson and answer my question.
facepalm.gif

It's not really really soft and it's not rigid either. What it will do is soften up as you use it. It's made of 22 ounce waxed twill and bridle leather. It's some of the toughest soft luggage you will ever find.

An alternate would be the small duffel in wool. They are nice nut nowhere near as durable as the waxed twill stuff. Pictures of both can be found on my site.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
It's not really really soft and it's not rigid either. What it will do is soften up as you use it. It's made of 22 ounce waxed twill and bridle leather. It's some of the toughest soft luggage you will ever find.

+1 My small duffel, when new, was just as soft/rigid as the briefcase I posted picutures of a few posts up when it was bought new. The duffel has not yet softened up to the same extent as the briefcase because I don't use it as frequently. With use, they soften up, however.

torontolaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
+1 My small duffel, when new, was just as soft/rigid as the briefcase I posted picutures of a few posts up when it was bought new. The duffel has not yet softened up to the same extent as the briefcase because I don't use it as frequently. With use, they soften up, however.

is it made of the same oil twill material? would you mind to post some pics? thx

v3l

Reaction score
I'm looking to get one of the duffle bags for when I'm traveling through Europe next semester. Any thoughts on what's the best size for a weekender (taking into account baggage policies on cheap airlines)?

torontolaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v3l
I'm looking to get one of the duffle bags for when I'm traveling through Europe next semester. Any thoughts on what's the best size for a weekender (taking into account baggage policies on cheap airlines)?

carry on - 45inch rule - the Filson medium duffle won't work. Gotta pick the small duffle ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads