• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Alec_Jan

Reaction score
Anyone know a bit about the "Medium Wool Field Bag" (link - http://www.filson.com/product/index....entPage=family )? Dimensions say 14" width, but I'm not sure what the opening looks like; will I be able to fit in a 13"Macbook (12.78" Width)? Concerned about possible side pockets, or an opening that doesn't span the entire width of the bag etc. Thanks

Dick Danger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Has anyone attempted to distress / break-in a Filson bag?

419361874_e2b64b9580.jpg

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yusuke
I just called Filson and couldn't get a quote for how much it would cost to shorten the shoulder strap on my pullman since Filson has stopped their custom orders until the holiday season is over. The girl said that they don't shorten the strap, but instead make a brand new shorter strap. She said I could call back in February when they resume their custom order service. Has anyone had their shoulder strap shortened by Filson? About how much was it and how long did it take?

I punched a grand total of 9 holes into the strap of my 256 ('m short)

Just go to your cobbler or really any leather-working place and ask to borrow their leather piercing tool.

mr bunbury

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Has anyone attempted to distress / break-in a Filson bag?

Jean shop in NYC sells a bag similar to the 256, with distressed leather and a softer canvas. According to the guy this is accomplished by oiling the leather and washing it.

Considering their price of $350, I'd much rather attempt something myself, or just wait for it to age with time. Personally, I think it looks strange new, kind of like white chucks that have somehow stayed pristine for years.

Here's mine, after about six years of hard use:

R1024740.jpg

It's actually completely beat up. There's a huge stain from an exploded pen, and one of the shoulder strap anchors is coming loose. I keep almost retiring it as my briefcase, but haven't quite committed yet. At this point the bag is totally soft and even a little shapeless.

It doesn't take much to break them in!

altemp

Reaction score
Plan on picking up a 256... What colour would likely go best with black/dark brown jackets? Different sites and pictures seem to give different indications of what the colour really looks like. And is Crane's with the 15% off coupon the cheapest option to Canada?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^at first before reading i was really trying to figure out how you had such a perfect denim bleed spot on the FRONT of your bag. haha but that thing looks sick broken in. especially the leather snap handle!

yeah you seriously can't beat cranes prices period

Stax

Reaction score
About two years on this one:

4157444386_1420272eed.jpg

4156684207_782fc4f342.jpg

laughter95

Reaction score
except that forum'er who informed us that ebags is having bing cashback + 15 bucks? off which makes the bag cheaper by 20 bucks compared to cranes (right now, anyway)

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the ebags 20% off doesnt apply to filson. but bing is offering the 30% cashback.

i asked cranes if i could use the SF discount plus the black friday and of course answer is no. so right now, ebags may be the best place to kop.

tying to get a small field bag in tan dedicated for my dslr camera use

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Does anyone think it would be possible to dye one of these without ruining the leather?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so purchased my filson small field bag in tan for my camera this morning

from ebags at $155 plus free shipping through bing with 30% cashback (46.50)

my total was only 108.50 plust i paid through bill me later with 90 day no interest payment
smile.gif

so yeah!

JGP.

Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to put obenaufs on my leather straps and parts on my 257? Or do they come already coated/prepared for hard wear?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGP.
Would it be a good idea to put obenaufs on my leather straps and parts on my 257? Or do they come already coated/prepared for hard wear?

i did. i dont think obenaufs ever hurts. but its annoying not because its hard not go get it on the fabric. but if you do, light soapy water with toothbrush/rag gets it out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads