1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Junglejack

Junglejack Well-Known Member

With such a surfeit of Cruisers, if anyone has a hankering for a Mackinaw Cruiser in black, I am seriously considering listing it. It has never been worn and still has the tags obvs. Way too big for me being a 44 in the Alaska Fit. Twas a birthday present that I did not have the heart to ask the receipt for.

Anywho, should anyone be interested, please feel free to PM.

2. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I'm loving my new Short Cruiser... I do wish it was a few degrees cooler out though.

[​IMG]

3. mbrauns1

mbrauns1 Member

Hi,

Reposting this question here. Just picked up one of the Filson Lined Short Cruiser jackets and noticed it came in the Soy Wax cloth material that's since been discontinued. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this cloth? Specifically how durable it is, how it ages, is it worthwhile, etc?

I'm curious if I should see if Filson will exchange it for me for one in their tin cloth, but they don't make it with the red flannel lining anymore so I wanted some advice before pulling the trigger[​IMG]

4. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Well-Known Member

I have no experience with Filson's soy wax material, but I wouldn't consider their tin cloth to necessarily be the gold standard. Though I love it still, my Tin Cruiser has been patched & rewaxed so many times it's approaching Theseus Paradox territory. I've only had it four years, so I find these claims of decades of use to be baffling. Perhaps it's the imported cotton fabric that's to blame?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. mbrauns1

mbrauns1 Member

Damn, that thing looks like it aged in great. From what I've read the soy wax cloth was meant to be thinner and lighter (re: less break-in time) but was discontinued based on the email I got from Filson (below). That's why I was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with it. I probably won't be beating on the jacket but if it's much lighter than that tin I may need to consider replacing it.

[​IMG]

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Tin cloth isn't what it used to be. The Tin Cloth hunting pants used to be able to stand up on their own.

[​IMG]

Anymore not so much. Good news is that there is nothing like well worn and duct taped Filson Tin to tell the Orvis crowd no need to apply for membership. Any Barbour item would be shredded in a lot less time with the same use.

7. dukerules

dukerules Well-Known Member

That's insane. I have a tin cloth Cruiser that's lived 40% of the life of yours, and while it's starting to break in, it's nothing like yours.

8. Junglejack

Junglejack Well-Known Member

Added a Boiled Wool Seattle Cruiser this week in spite of needing another Cruiser like a hole in my head. However, at $144 on clearance down from $300 (originally 495) at STP, I just could not resist.

As others have alluded to, it is somewhat stiff. That said, I am quite confident that once broken in it will be pretty rad. Really like the navy color with the olive Alaskan Guide Shirt fabric lining.

I still think my favorite Cruiser is the camo/otter green Seattle Cruiser made of Yukon Wool that was briefly available prior to Filson renaming the Seattle Fit Cruiser simply the Mackinaw Cruiser Seattle Fit.

9. ijung

ijung Active Member

10. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Well-Known Member

I wear a 40L suit, bought a size 40 mackinaw vest some years ago. There's definitely room for layering beneath - if you'll be wearing it outdoors in truly cold parts of the country, as I do, that's probably a good idea. If not, and you'll just have it over a normal shirt (& undershirt?), I'd definitely go one size down.

11. ijung

ijung Active Member

Thanks for the tip! I'm in the most temperate province in Canada, so I'll probably size down.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  12. globalroamer

globalroamer Well-Known Member

What is the best way to shop for Filson's backpacks in Europe ? I want to order it online and ship it to my place.
    Also some stylish / same better quality alternatives ?

Thanks

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

EDIT - SOLD!!!

Hey guys, thought since you're all Filson fans here I'd offer something pretty interesting. Here's a luggage tag for bags, totes, etc. Brand new with tags. Retail is $42 with shipping. I dunno, gimme say $25 plus $5 shipping for a total of $30 to anywhere in North America and it's yours. PM me if you're interested.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  14. Hunk

Hunk New Member

My experience with a Filson Tin Jacket have been the same: I bought it in March 2015 and I love it so much that I wore it nearly every day on my way to work, on business trips and so on. Although I rewaxed it twice, it is showing a lot of wear on the ends of the sleeves. My theory is that the imported canvas fabric is crap. I own a (completely US-made) Filson Light Western Vest that I bought two years ago. I wear it all winter, spring and fall. Compared to the tin cloth (and also compared to every other wool item I own), Filson's Mackinaw wool seems indistructable.
    (Still, I guess the jacket wouldn't look as beat if I didn't like it that much.)

15. Hunk

Hunk New Member

Cold Iron is absolutely right about the durability of a Barbour: I own an Ashridge, a Military Field Jacket and they both look way worse than the Tin Jacket, after less than half the wear time. (And half the love... )

16. Hunk

Hunk New Member

I wouldn't size down without comparing it to your normal size. Filson tends to be true to size, but roomy in the waist and belly. I had sized down a vestern vest and it was too small in the shoulder area of the back. I exchanged for my normal size and had a tailor make it more narrow in the waist for a few bucks.

17. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen or held the new oil cloth bomber jacket? It sold out online really quick, but I was able to find one in my size in one of their retail stores. It should be here this weekend but was wondering if anyone had one already. I love the looks of it from their photos. http://www.filson.com/new-arrivals/ranger-oil-cloth-bomber-10810.html
    [​IMG]

18. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

I don['t really like the term true to size because it's a bit ambiguous.

In some brands I am a medium and in some I am a small. My Filson jackets and vest are all size small. I don't have a Mackinaw vest though.

19. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

agreed. my experience with Filson tops is that all of their stuff fits big, regardless. I own both color variants of the cascade flannel and had to size down to a medium. I normally wear a large in most other brands but with Filson I was swimming in a large. The cascade shirt is in the Seattle fit which is supposed to be more fitted. A rep from Filson told me to go with a large but luckily I listened to a different vendor that sold the cascade shirt who recommended a medium. I also own the tin cloth short cruiser but for that one I wear a large. It fits fine but has a little bit of room for layering.

20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I'm digging my Scout watch (black Horwern strap). I got a great price on it (discounted lower than current price) from Sierra Trading Post.

[​IMG]