1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

xPost. Meant to post in SW&D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

i mean, it's gonna look all marked up, but i have no problem with that. as long as you're not like trying to use it as a bank employee or lawyer, it's probably fine.

3. DsRyan23

DsRyan23 Senior member

If anyone is interested I am selling a pair of Filson x Tellason Raw Denim jeans in size 31 (34x34). They are basically Tellason's John Graham Mellor jeans, which typically retail for $220. I am selling them for half price, new.

Message me if you want details

dsryan23@gmail.com

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I would've so jumped on those if they were my size.. . Any time two of my favorite brands do a collab, it's all win.

5. theukeryme

theukeryme Member

Hey guys,
    since my synthetic Chinese briefcase living out its time I thought that it would be nice to get something durable.
    So I am choosing between Original Heavy Tin and Original. Sometimes I take my 13.3" laptop with me.
    What is the main difference? Because heavy tin is 23$ cheaper and looks more attractive.
    [​IMG]

6. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

From what I gather, these are really darn nice. Heavier fabric (34oz) than the standard version (22oz)--although the top flap is apparently thinner than the rest...not sure how it compares to the standard top flap--and looks extra waxed, so it'll be more water resistant and build a patina quicker.

I just got a 10% off coupon for being a first time buyer (own a lot of filson, but apparently never bought anything directly from them off of their own site), and bought one. I'm interested to see how I like it in-person and whether I'll keep it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. theukeryme

theukeryme Member

Other difference is that heavy tin made of imported material. But who cares, right?

8. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Shit. I didn't see that until now. Might end up returning mine because of that.

Edit: cancelled my order. Not *that* big of a deal, but I want Filson to do what they do best.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  9. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Stopped by the local Filson outlet today and they had an interesting selection. I was hoping to score a discounted short cruiser soy wax jacket but came across a prototype that never made it to retail. It was a black waxed short cruiser with no lining and made from 8oz vachetta cotton. The color didn't work for me and it felt cheap. They wanted $99 for it but I left it. Plus, it felt boxey around the shoulders

10. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Filson Elkhorn Packagble Jacket that is making its round on closeout sites. First experience with Seattle fit and it definitely is slimmer. Went with my regular size, small, and I think fit is good. Game pockets in front is a bit weird.

[​IMG]

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

Anyone know the difference between the "alaska" and "seattle" fit?

I tried on a 44 cruiser (alaska fit) and will try a 42 when my local store gets it.

But I am interested in the 'seattle' fit as the one I tried on is a bit roomy..

Also, seems like the Made in USA coats are all made out of 'imported' material. Anyone else notice that?

12. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I'm sure that kind of info is on their website, but the Seattle fit is much trimmer overall. Sleeves are less billowy, etc. Basically the old school Alaska fit is for layering, the Seattle fit is for Hipsters on their way to cubicle warfare. I've got an Alaska fit cruiser for sale on the marketplace if you want measurements.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

I was told the seattle fit is a bit trimmer. customer service of filson told me that if i want to do a longsleeve and sweater, seattle in Large would work for me (if 44 was good). if i wanna do layers on layers, the alaska fit would be it.

14. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Don't think you can really tell the difference, but the Elkhorn jacket above is the Seattle fit on me and in this link are pictures of my Oregon Trail Jacket in the same tagged size in the Alaska fit.

15. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I have been to the main store in Seattle and have tried both alaska and seattle fit coats, and inf fact I posted about it 2-3 weeks ago:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/4050#post_7331961

The Seattle fit is very "fitted" while the Alaskan fit is more "baggy" or "roomy". And that is on purpose. The Alaska fit is meant to allow for 1-2 internal layers of clothing, and then the jacket on top of everything. Not so with the Seattle fit, which fits closer to the body, and allows very little room for additional layers.

My sport coat/suit size is 40 regular. I used to have size 38 Cruiser and a size 40 Cruiser in the "thin" wool - the Alaskan Tuxedo version. I sold them both, but I clearly remember how they fit me:
    - the size 38 was just like a fitted coat, and it was a little too tight when driving (again, like a suit jacket).
    - the size 40 was roomier, and allowed plenty of movement when driving.
    => This is "exactly" like the Seattle fit vs. Alaskan fit medium felt, and it is why I returned the Seattle fit and kept the Alaska fit.

Of course, what complicates things, is that you might be in "between" those two sizes: the Seattle might be a tad too tight, while the Alaskan might be a tad too big. Best would be to try both before buying, but of course that is not always practical. What my wife likes to do (when faced with the same challenge) is that she orders both, and returns the one that does not fit well - which again is not always practical/affordable to do.

Will

16. knucks

knucks Senior member

Thanks all,still not sure on how to size, then!

Customer service was pretty certain Seattle would work for me if I want to do a button down and sweater underneath. I don't imagine I will want even more layers come the dead of michigan winter...I think I want it more for spring and fall wear, when its not below zero yet?

17. knucks

knucks Senior member

Ended up ordering the Tin Cruiser in a 42 to try out. Ill post pics tomorrow!

18. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Good luck man. It is unfortunate, but you almost are forced to take a chance when ordering clothing from Filson. I have a Timberline (lined, Tin cloth jacket, now discontinued) which I ordered in Medium (which based on what I posted above, it "should" have fit), but it was HUGE. I exchanged it for the SMALL, and that one fits me like my Medium Alaska fit Cover Cloth Mile Marker Coat.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  19. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Wonder if anyone can help me understand what's going on with the pockets on this Filson Guide Work Jacket

[​IMG]

Specifically the curved stitching that goes from just below the top button to just above the bottom button. It's on both sides of the jacket placket. Are these pocket openings, purely decorative, or do they serve some other purpose?

Filson description lists:
    1 utility pocket, 2 bellows pockets, 2 handwarmer pockets, 1 dual-access rear map pocket, 2 front-loading pockets

And I'm wondering if these crescents are the opening for those front-loading pockets.

I did call a Filson store and ask, but I'd like to see if anyone here has thoughts.

Don't have these on my Mackinaw Cruiser...:)

EDIT: Chatted with Filson customer service. Very helpful. Those are indeed shallow pockets between the exterior and the lining. I think this is a great looking coat

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  20. Trcik

Trcik Member