1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Anybody has experience with Filson other than bags and jacket. How are its accessories?

2. conak

conak Well-Known Member

I have items other than bags and jackets. I have shirts, pants, vests and boots. I like everything I have from them with the exception of a pair of knit gloves that the stitching opened up on the first day of use. I did get them on clearance for 5 bucks though, so not that bog of a deal. I try to avoid the outsourced stuff, though I have had good experience with most of it, but I wouldn't pay full price for something not made in the USA.

As for accessories, I have the belt, which is my favorite belt. Tough, perfect thickness, good leather and a decent price. I wish they offered a lighter brown; they only have a very dark brown and a very light tan (and black and natural). But I find myself wearing my espresso trickers just so I can wear the filson belt. I also have the double thickness belt, but unless you carry a weapon of high caliber, there is no reason you should need that beast of a belt. Filson Italy makes lighter shades of brown but I can't for the life of me find a place that sells them.

3. eluther

eluther Senior member

Vacationing in Seattle and went in to the Filson store. Bought a scout shirt, which was much more expensive than I thought it was going to be, and a fitted baseball cap. The cap has none of the interfacing to give its crown structure, so it seems more like an Ebbets than a New Era. Also had it in loden and red. Needlessly blew out the picture so you can see some of its detail (because maybe you're unfamiliar with what baseball hats look like), but the actual color is a true navy.

[​IMG]

4. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

Any tags identifying it as Ebbets? Mind asking what you paid?

Wouldn't be surprised, Ebbets is only a couple blocks away from the Filson flagship store. They just moved to a brand new shop. Definitely worth stopping in on your next visit!

5. eluther

eluther Senior member

I didn't know Ebbets was even from Seattle - thanks for the nudge.

Here's the hat's tag (shitty iPad photo):
    [​IMG]

Tag looks the same as my Mackinaw cruiser., so my guess is that it isn't Ebbets.

Hat was ~$50.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. MrHappyHappy

MrHappyHappy Member

It was so HARD choosing a colour for Filson bags… ended up getting a few of them...
    In case you're having a hard time deciding too, here's a link at a quick look of them under natural sunlight.

[​IMG]

7. click here

click here Senior member

Thinking of purchasing a Filson Small Duffle Bag to be used as a Carry On on flights and as a "day pack". Anyone travelled with a this bag before? How was it? Or should I consider something else?

8. waldo98

waldo98 Active Member

For domestic carry on flights, I think the biggest bag you can use is the Pullman. However, if you fill it up to capacity, it might exceed the size in measurements. I opted for the Travel Bag Medium and its a good enough size to hold clothes and toiletries for a casual weekend away from home.

9. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

Very interesting! I feel like that's a missed opportunity for a great collaboration. Thanks for the pic.

10. eluther

eluther Senior member

I went to Ebbets and tried on a bunch of their hats – I much prefer the Filson's construction and shape. Missed opportunity, maybe, but I like the product much better.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Got myself a slightly used Shelter Cloth Packer Coat. Love the thing, it's just too warm right now to wear it... I like the Filson stuff I have (wool shirt and pair of tin cloth pants), so hopefully this lives up to my expectations as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

I have a brand new otter green rucksack that I'm looking to trade for either otter green/black tin cloth backpack. Please pm me if you're also looking to trade.

13. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

Filson Original Briefcase. I can't remember exactly when I bought it but I know it's at least 10 years old. I've carried everywhere I've gone all over the country and whenever I have time off. I never go anywhere without it. It's held up well. I have one of their field bags that is almost as old and it has held up just as well. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has traveled constantly as well. Not the best pics but that's all I had time for right now.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  14. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I had one of their packer hats that lasted about 15 years until I lost it. It was getting pretty wore out by then. Their wool socks wear like iron. I have yet to wear out all but one pair of them I bought years ago and i wear them all winter long every year. Most all of their stuff is bomb proof but there are those exceptions as I have mentioned in a previous post. I had a pair of their Chukka boots for 7+ years before I finally froze them when they got sopping wet in the snow at zero degrees and the leather finally cracked. I wore them every winter, every day all winter long for those 7 years. They do guarantee their products just don't buy them and put them away for 2 years before you start using them.

15. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

No such thing as "wore out" of course, with Filson. Only "ready to be sent in for some patchwork or (more likely) free replacement" if it gets too threadbare.

16. Youngj

Youngj Well-Known Member

Picked up a Seattle fit Weekend/Mile Marker this weekend
    On a piece of outwear like this, would you expect the shoulder seams to lie directly above the shoulder seams of your shirt or is having them hang slightly (half an inch to an inch) lower acceptable?

17. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

Actually, you're right. What happened with mine was that I didn't keep it waxed because i didn't know much about Filson back then. It slowly but surely shrunk over the years. I really couldn't wear it because it was too tight. Other than that the only thing that really "wore out" was the leather band on the inside which could have easily been replaced.

18. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Levi's by Filson Trucker is perfect for this time of year.

[​IMG]

19. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Can anyone explain to me what the button on the inner pocket on the Mackinaw Cruiser is meant for? It's the Seattle Fit, if that somehow matters.

As far as I can tell, the button is purely cosmetic, as it doesn't hold anything down or close the pocket...it's sewn onto the front of the pocket. That said, Filson doesn't strike me as a company to just add a button for cosmetic purposes, so I have to assume there is some utility to it. Happen to know what it's for?

Album

20. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Does it match any of the other buttons on your jacket. Maybe it's just an extra.