1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I don't think they have shrunk…i think sleeves are/look shorter because of the stacking going on at the elbows and around the cuffs. The jacket was always snug and short, but thats exactly how i wanted it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Old idea. [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Filson is supposed to be about adventure. They should have a really high tech mountain bike and put bags on it. I really don't know what the hell they're thinking with that retro cruiser.

4. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

FTFY

5. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

+1

6. conak

conak Well-Known Member

+2

I own a lot of filson gear. None of it has names on it but any filson owner would spot it a mile away. Unfortunately this is a fairly standard trend when companies sell out...Take a respected name with a solid reputation, plaster the name all over so other people who admire the clothes know what to buy, then cut costs while maintaining price, then fizzle out into mediocrity before moving to the next brand. Remember that Ambercrombie & Fitch used to be a serious outdoors outfitter decades back before Chinese slaves started sewing the cookie cutter cargo shorts, and now they just stink up the malls with their overpowering perfumes. Buy up the filson clothes that they built to last forever before they change that too.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Looking for a bag as a carry on for travel. Primarily will hold 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, notebook, glasses, etc. Looking for something with some room but not too big to fit under the seat in front of me. What is the recommended size for this? Thanks!

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

That will easily fit into a 256. If you want more room than a 257.

9. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

any pics of those hardcore filson jackets?

10. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

Yup Filson's definitely jumped the shark with this car & bike nonsense. They're sending me a catalog every three weeks, filled with trinkets like key fobs, logo flasks & dog coats, and each time it looks like the prices on their flagship jackets go up - my double mackinaw now costs 60% more than what I bought it for just a few years back, and with a thinner grade wool (24 oz instead of 26). All their new shirt offerings are a disaster... nothing as simple as a sturdy, solid color wool winter work shirt with two bellows pockets on the chest. Whatever corporation bought them recently is sinking the ship fast. Buy up the vintage gear while you can!

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the dog coats are awesome bro!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Neiman Marcus window.
    [​IMG]

13. conak

conak Well-Known Member

FYI, it's the corporation that owns Polo Ralph Lauren, (forget what they call themselves now). And we can definitely see that corporate influence. Still generally quality stuff, but they keep adding crap made to increase the profits by exploiting the hard-earned good name, not to mention moving production to 3rd world countries, reducing the overal quality while maintaining prices. Then in order for the high priced outsourced goods to seem reasonable, they jack up the prices of the once standard, solid, American made gear.

1 person likes this.
  14. US Grant

US Grant Senior member

I think the Ralph Lauren part is something an urban legend. An executive formerly of Ralph Lauren ran Filson under Brentwood Associates. Not disagreeing with the corporate influence however (RIP 'Lodge Collection'). Filson was sold last June to Bedrock Manufacturing Co who, as it happens, also owns Shinola- hence the bike. They are a VC run by a guy who made his money with Fossil. They also own Steven Alan.

Depending on your views, here is an article about the new ownerships expansion plans: 20-25 stores and the London shop which just opened up: http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2013/06/06/filsons-new-frontiers.html?page=all

It all bums me out that Filson is moving in the direction they are on the one hand BUT they are still manufacturing most of their products in the USA (this is coming back more under the new ownership). I'm from Seattle so somehow I feel more of a personal investment in Filson even though it's a ridiculous sentiment.

2 people like this.
  15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Filson was purchased like 10 years ago by some venture firm and an ex-Ralph Lauren guy was made CEO.
    Last year Bedrock Manufacturing bought Filson.
    Bedrock also owns Shinola Bike/Watch brand which are Detroit based.
    They also just built a new Filson factory in Seattle.

They may be milking the Filson name for all it's worth, but they're still making plenty of stuff here.

16. conak

conak Well-Known Member

Thanks US grant and Zipphyh for the clarification. Don't get me wrong, I still like and purchase many of their items, including their newer models, and I would love to have some of the black label stuff. I'm just worried at the general trend toward mass production and outsourcing (though kudos to them for bringing several of the items back to domestic production.). The fact they moved from 26 oz to 24 oz on the mackinaw items is an example of my concern. Why did the wool get thinner and the prices go higher? I do have a 24 oz coat, and I love it, but I hate that their goal now seems to just be better than other outdoors clothing lines, not to be the best they can and blow the rest away

17. jakeypotato

jakeypotato Senior member

Anyone know where to buy Filson on sale? Im looking to buy a tin cloth cruiser. unless quality is going down under then I might buy a barbour

18. US Grant

US Grant Senior member

The quality isn't going down (a few exceptions here and there but that's always been the case for any brand). Depending on the item, sometimes it's a reduction in the fabric (ie the Mackinaw is now 24oz vs 26oz like my original 110). That said for your case, the tin cloth is still the same and is absolutely bomb proof. It is extremely durable and tough- you'll be breaking it in for quite awhile.

As for sale, Filson is pretty rigourous about keeping full retail. Exceptions have been a few luggage pieces on Brooks Brothers and Need Supply had a Tin Cruiser on sale, but the lined dry Tin version. If you are willing to wait it out you could probably eventually find it on sale somewhere but the classics are even harder to find on sale.

Crane's Country Store is always a good bet- you just have to call and they'll hook you up!

19. JChance

JChance Senior member

Looking to unload some 256 and 257, see sigs (not sure if its ok, if not, please remove)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  20. MrHappyHappy

MrHappyHappy Member

RevolveClothing; TULIP = 10% Promotion Code