• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my 257 from Cranes and love it. Bag is big, not too big, but if all you need is lap top storage, you might be best suited with the original breifcase (forgot the number).

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can anyone provide me with more detail about this bomber by filson? specifically the sizing and where i can find the navy color aside from blackbird. thanks!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
Got my 257 from Cranes and love it. Bag is big, not too big, but if all you need is lap top storage, you might be best suited with the original breifcase (forgot the number).
That would be the 256.
Originally Posted by drmmr
How's the quality on the Passage line?
It's solid. I have one of the briefcases and it's got better storage for gadgets and what not. I'm a long time Filson dude so seeing a bag made out of ballistic nylon took some getting used to. Dave was the same way.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I shove a fully stuffed Large Outfitter into the overhead compartment of a plane? If not, how much can I pack in so that it can fit the compartment? Thanks!

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I don't think you'd have much luck even getting that thing on the plane. Dimensions on Filson's site show it to be about 50% larger than the allowable carry on size.

The Pullman (243) is sized pretty much perfectly for carry on travel - even better (and cheaper) than the large carry on (242), actually. And you can stuff a lot into the 243.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do. Very pleased with it. The one change I'd like to see would be for a piece of fabric to be sewn in behind the zipper to act as a rainfly and protect the contents from the zipper teeth - if you've owned Filson gear you know how sharp they can be.

Fully loaded it's pretty heavy - wouldn't be comfortable to carry anything much bigger on a shoulder for any length of time. Still, I think the tradeoff vs. a wheeled piece of luggage is worth it because you can fit so much more inside.

Technically, regulations call for a max of 22"x14"x9" and the Pullman is 21.5"x15"x9". I've flown with it a few times and haven't had any issues.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Technically, regulations call for a max of 22"x14"x9" and the Pullman is 21.5"x15"x9". I've flown with it a few times and haven't had any issues.
I think the limit for most domestic airlines is actually 45 linear inches. In any case, no one bats an eye at the pullman. I own a pullman, and I like it for travel. Mine's coming with me to London for a week in April, but he's going to have to work for his supper.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes, some airlines just list 45" total (L+W+H), others list the "standard" 45" size of 22x14x9. I've heard you sometimes run into trouble if you're within the 45" limit but substantially outside the "standard" measurements, though I have no experience with that myself.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drmmr
Can I shove a fully stuffed Large Outfitter into the overhead compartment of a plane? If not, how much can I pack in so that it can fit the compartment? Thanks!

I own the large outfitter bag. There is no way on earth you could get away with using it as a carry on. It does make for an excellent long road trip bag. It's intended to be used as a gear bag for hunting/fishing trips. It excels at that task.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I just kopped a Pullman bag for $259 + shipping from http://www.cablecarclothiers.com. They just started a 30% sale today, not much (for me at least), but the prices are great if they have the stuff you want. Major props to bigbjorn for the heads up on the sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads