Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Basic

Basic Active Member

2. SupeMassivePowerTrip

SupeMassivePowerTrip Well-Known Member

Just bought the green off UO with 20% off using LOVEUO

3. cumingenomeproject

cumingenomeproject Member

Hi guys! I searched the site for "73008" and got nothin' - hopefully this question hasn't been answered yet on the thread.

I was thinking about (eventually, maybe, one day) getting a Filson bag for me and my laptop and I'd like your opinion. I'm not rich and I was wondering if there was really a cost-effective difference between the 257, 258, 73012, and 73010 (all being pushed as "laptop bags") and the 73008 - which is cheaper than any of them and looks to me to have more versatility.

Laptop size is not a problem (my guy is 13" and so fits pretty much everywhere) but I don't want to buy something with limited functionality but on the other hand I don't want to spend twice to twice.5 the money on something I don't really need!

halp guyz, halp!

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I got the 258 and never use it because it ends up being too damn heavy even when all I'm carrying is the 13" lappy, power adapter, mouse, and small notebook.

I end up just using my zipper tote with the lappy + sleeve.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

6. kapli

kapli Member

Kapli, follow this link.

http://www.joessportinggoods.us/filson-fath83.html

It's out of stock there as well, on backorder until April.

I don't think anyone has the dark brown.

What do you guys think? Should I get the tan one or wait until April for the dark brown?

7. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

i like the original tan but it gets dirty easier (kind of the point though as it looks great used and aged)

8. Basic

Basic Active Member

It's out of stock there as well, on backorder until April.

I don't think anyone has the dark brown.

What do you guys think? Should I get the tan one or wait until April for the dark brown?

Don't rush if you want the tan one. I have the Small Duffle in tan and the 256 in Tan. I love them both. I don't think the brown would age as well as these have started to.

9. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

10. CodeRed

CodeRed Senior member

Has anyone purcahsed the 1 1/2" double belt? Trying to decide between that and the regular bridle leather one, not sure if it would be too much of a good thing. Thx.

11. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

I've been trying to decide between a wool weekender coat or a vintage USN peacoat to be my informal cold-weather coat. I think the peacoat is sharper looking, but the weekender coat is probably a lot more practical. Any thoughts?

12. ataru

ataru Senior member

I have a 1 1/4 bridle belt. Filson makes really nice, no-nonsense belts. I may buy the 1.5 inch one too in the future.

If you don't either always tuck your shirts in or wear your pants very low I think you'd be better off passing on the double belts; thick belts can just end up making bottom shirt buttons pulll and slightly worsen your apparent proportions.

13. poorman

poorman Senior member

I just recieved my brown Filson 258 bag from Anonymouschris, I am very happy with how big it is. I was a little worried it would be "too big" like many have said on here but it's the perfect size, enough for notebooks, my laptop and plenty of room for books for the day.

The padding isn't as dense as I thought it would be which was actually a good thing for me, it doesn't look bulky.

I applied a layer of Obenauf's on the leather when I recieved it.

14. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

What's recommended to fit a medium sized camera + laptop AND/OR sweater

Mainly to fit camera and laptop but would like to fit sweater as well, and possibly upgrade to various DSLR + lenses in the future.

Regards

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Has anyone purcahsed the 1 1/2" double belt? Trying to decide between that and the regular bridle leather one, not sure if it would be too much of a good thing. Thx.
    I use the double belt as a gun belt. do yourself a favor and stick with a single layer belt.
    What's recommended to fit a medium sized camera + laptop AND/OR sweater Mainly to fit camera and laptop but would like to fit sweater as well, and possibly upgrade to various DSLR + lenses in the future. Regards
    I can pull that off with a 257 to a point. You would be better off looking at real camera bags if you're going to be setting yourself up with a decent kit.