1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official F/w 2011 Runway Thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by A Fellow Linguist, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Lane

Lane Senior member

2. Platypus

Platypus Senior member

Bump! This thread should not be so dead. Maybe I'll do a top 5 favorite collection list (I like lists) later on, but for now here are a few topics:

In terms of the LFW Menswear Day; was there anything interesting? I had a quick look through and most was either derivative or a bit boring (and LFW usually manages to at least bring some over the top stuff).

Is it just me or have the collections, in general, been either poorly or over-styled this season?

I don't know if there is interest here in the womenswear fashion weeks, but in any case certain designers are showing men's looks along with their womenswear.

Thimister FW11:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Collection Link

I kinda like the luxury feel, but it is a bit sloppy (and not in a good way). Nice knits though.

Nicholas Andreas Taralis FW11:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Collection Link

I usually like Taralis, but not this time. What used to be sharp tailoring seems to have been replaced with ugly jeans, weird proportions, and horrible styling.

Gareth Pugh FW11:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Collection Link

I have a soft spot for anyone who aims to design futurism. And I think the women's looks great and will continue to look great off the runway...the menswear less so.

3. Desi

Desi Senior member

I enjoy being very easy to please. Taralis was interesting and I quite liked the fit on the pants. Topman Design was nothing to hate with a few looks that I could see myself living in. Carolyn Massey didn't show I take it.

4. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Gareth Pugh is always pretty amusing to me, in a "I wouldn't wear it but I'm glad it exists" kind of way. Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but BoO looks super lame on a runway. [​IMG]

5. Platypus

Platypus Senior member

^For some reason, I kept seeing that particular BoO pic everywhere for days after the show. I don't mind the brand, but it clearly calls for a showroom only presentation.

Carolyn Massey didn't show I take it.

You're right. I usually like her stuff.

6. sipang

sipang Senior member

Probably because it's the more runwayish look BoO had to offer.

Didn't like Taralis either, Pugh women stuff was great (but I'm a sucker for golden stuff), the electric blue looks were a bit random. From LFW I retain nothing (except a boring JW Anderson ripping off Raf 2005 a bit - and disappointing in the shoes department - and christopher shannon nylon suits mountaineer steez, I don't remember Kashoura).

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

[​IMG] this is so fucking cool.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

It's like something a necromancer would wear.

in that it's totally fucking awesome

9. Lane

Lane Senior member

Ok, this is mindblowing, absolutely love the silhouettes and the hairstyles are so fitting. Junya Watanabe 2011 http://www.style.com/fashionshows/co...E?viewall=true [​IMG] [​IMG] also Ann Demeulemeester, my favorite designers for womens clothing. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] so freaking amazing! I don't know of a more impressive designer. Will definitely wear Ann D head to toe when I'm older.

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

11. snake

snake Senior member

Loved how theatrical ann's show was, I wish the mens collection was as strong.
    This is incredible:
    [​IMG]

Yohji was also really cool, Junya was ok, and Undercover seemed to have been overrun by cats.

12. Lane

Lane Senior member

The mens was pretty spectacular as well. Plus, what I like about ann is that with mens and women her vision is intact, and she doesn't change because of gender. You can't say the same about Junya unfortunately. All the experimentation and creativity seems to be spent on the womens line.

Anns mens collection actually had an interesting use of colors in contrast of black vs the womens which was purely black. I enjoyed both takes, though

13. sipang

sipang Senior member

^^ I'm amazed by this look, and a bit scarred

I didn't find the mens collection weaker honestly, a bit more dramatic but that's to be expected, and it's pretty cohesive (edit: Lane beat me to it)

14. snake

snake Senior member

I felt that with the mens collection there wasn't as many (or at all) these 'halo' pieces that were shown in the womens show. That's not to say I didn't like the mens collection, it was very classic ann. Updated layering schemes with nice fabrics. I didn't like a lot of the cuts on the jackets though so that probably added to my disappointment.

15. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Found a couple pics of Undercover womens runway stuff, and it looks pretty good. From what I saw it seemed very reminiscent of the FW 2007/2008 stuff, moreso than the two intervening FW collections. I kind of wish Takahashi would expand on some of the FW 2009/2010 ideas, which is top 10 G.O.A.T. collections for me.
    At this point, Jun Takahashi is pretty much favorite designer currently operating.

Have there been any signs of the mens FW 2011/2012 stuff yet?

Also, anyone who doesn't like the womens Junya collection is certifiably insane. That stuff is fantastic.

Not usually a huge fan of Ann Demeulemeester, but this womens collection is pretty great.
    Maybe I'm just noticing this now, but the gloves for both collections are amazing. Definitely going to kop a pair for myself when they become available.

16. Lane

Lane Senior member

I think the gloves are incredibly hard to pull off, and is one of the most interesting aspects of the male collection. Or at least what stands out the most to me.

17. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

18. Lane

Lane Senior member

whats good about that? curious

19. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Besides the fact that it looks good?