*** Official F/w 2011 Runway Thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by A Fellow Linguist, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

hmm KVA, i don't like the black/brown combos, and that all models are wearing the same shoes.
    Raf Simons show is tomorrow [​IMG] i hope it is better

2. Platypus

Platypus Affiliate Vendor

Comme Des Garcons is here It is a bit messy overall and some fabric choices seem a bit iffy, but some looks (especially the ones featuring the longer coats) are nice. ... Givenchy is here HAHAHAHAHAHA. It is shit. ... Walter Van Beirendonck is here Okay, I'll admit it, I like WVB! Don't think I could ever pull it off. Anyways, it is usually fun and, in my extremely limited experience, well made. Long story short, I like this collection and it seems more wearable without losing what makes it fun (although I see a bit of a CDG influence): [​IMG][​IMG] But don't worry, there is still there is still stuff like this: [​IMG][​IMG] to [​IMG] to [​IMG]

3. quasky

quasky Senior member

actually quite like WVB. i dig collections that have a good mix of wearable and ridiculous high-concept.

4. jslade

jslade Senior member

God damn, Junya looks fantastic this season.

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

Sup'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this.

Juun J : here, here and here

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Liked Juun J and WvB a lot.

7. junebugmm

junebugmm Senior member

God damn, Junya looks fantastic this season.

Man, he doesnt disappoint. Would buy at least 10 or more things if I had the money

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

RE: Junya Watanabe

This excerpt from a V Magazine interview with Junya has always stuck in my mind:

AB: Your men's line is more like real clothing, jeans and T-shirts, and the women's has this huge element of fantasy. What is fantasy for men? Do they get any of this in their fashion?

JW: Basics. Men don't have much fantasy for clothes, I think. It all comes down to the basics. That's the point of starting the menswear. For the women's I research with fabrics and shapes and the patterns; with the men's I really wanted to do something basic.

I can't help feeling a little disappointed whenever I look at a Junya men's collection because of the above.

That said, I can certainly see why people like it (and I do like it too) and this is probably the best re-hash of what he has been doing for the past 4-ish years.

This is true for everybody though.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

What would you like to see him design?
    As I wrote in my post, I think the JW collection is, judged on its own, great. My disappointment does not stem from what I (speaking personally) would like to see him do with his menswear. I comes from what he could do. Compared to his the creativity shown in his women's collections, his men's are just basic(s). I am not pulling my opinion out of thin air, JW has made this assertion himself (in the interview excerpt I posted to the manifesto on the plastic tag that comes with his garments). They are great basics, no question. However, I can't help wishing he put more of his creative talent into menswear (but then again men's fashion getting the short end of the stick is nothing new...).
    Again, what would you like to see him make that would be exciting for you? The beauty of being a guy is the simplicity with which we are able to dress.

10. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Novice question: Who makes Fujiwara's footwear?

11. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Wow Margiela. Huh. Didn't really look much like Marg to me...but it was cool. How long has it been since they did an actual runway pres?

12. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

13. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

The beauty of being a guy is the simplicity with which we are able to dress.

This isn't a positive to all of us haha

14. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Liked some of the Ann D and Miharayasuhiro stuff. Neither show was perfect, but there was definitely a bunch of stuff in both that was cool.

15. Platypus

Platypus Affiliate Vendor

This is true for everybody though.
    I know. I in no way mean to imply that Junya is alone in this (he is a rather blatant example though).
    Again, what would you like to see him make that would be exciting for you? The beauty of being a guy is the simplicity with which we are able to dress.
    I dress quite simply (IMO) myself and I do not desire to dress in a more extreme (or whatever the appropriate word is) aesthetic / manner. This makes it a bit more difficult for me to articulately answer your question in a personal manner, but: - I want Junya to take some of the elements he uses in women's collections and apply them to his men's. There is some overlap present already (the penchant for re-cutting classic garments, using vintage or "humble" fabrics, etc.). However, his womenswear has skilled + imaginative draping and the re-cutting / re-tailoring of classic garments leads to new, manipulated silhouettes. That is what is missing in the menswear. That is what I want to see. I do not think that adding any of that would necessarily make the clothes any less wearable or simple. - Pretty much every brand has some decent basics that make their way to the racks. Is Junya better than "decent"? Yes. However, the runway is a place to introduce the vision behind the brand / collection as a whole. That Junya, by his own admission, does not move beyond the idea of basics (no matter how good they are) is a little [​IMG] .