*** Official F/w 2011 Runway Thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by A Fellow Linguist, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Nil

Nil Senior member

Um... Junya is amazing. I never liked a lot of his stuff before, though I admit it looks amazing in person, but this season is great. Does it run small like other Japanese designers?

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

the sneakers looks like a mash up of f/w06 and f/w 09 ro sneakers. he is making exploder sweatpants with the silk inserts that side by side are almost indistinguishable. the hooded poplin and wool coats are 95% replicas of ro f/w 09 winter coats. there is a sweater on the runway that was produced seemingly stitch for stitch in dustulator

I don't know enough about the pieces you're referencing to say whether or not it's true but I'm going to take your word for it. To be honest, I think we all know Julius repurposes RO's ideas; I always saw it as taking RO's concepts and repurposing them for a different silhouette, demographic and overall aesthetic. There is a huge "grey area" of plagiarism in the Japanese fashion world and sometimes it can come way too close for comfort.

That said, just objectively viewing the clothes on their own without any ties to RO, I like the collection a lot.

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^i would agree. but at those prices i don't want an ro/ann d/taralis combo with all saints levels of inspiration

4. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

Post a fit pic of your junya.
    I could post a fit pic of the sweater I guess but I don't have any at the moment. (from last f/w) I'll send you a pm (that sounds weird) with a fit pic =) I want (and most likely will buy if I find it in montreal) Pic 4 (coat) Pic 37 (blazer, and the pants ffs) And so many other pieces [​IMG]

5. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

why does junya pick such gay(figuritively) looking models.

6. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Junya<3

7. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

Um... Junya is amazing. I never liked a lot of his stuff before, though I admit it looks amazing in person, but this season is great. Does it run small like other Japanese designers?
    sorry brother, boxy and small.

8. Nil

Nil Senior member

I figured that. I'll admire from afar.

9. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

10. Platypus

Platypus Affiliate Vendor

What would you like to see him design?

As I wrote in my post, I think the JW collection is, judged on its own, great.

My disappointment does not stem from what I (speaking personally) would like to see him do with his menswear. I comes from what he could do. Compared to his the creativity shown in his women's collections, his men's are just basic(s). I am not pulling my opinion out of thin air, JW has made this assertion himself (in the interview excerpt I posted to the manifesto on the plastic tag that comes with his garments). They are great basics, no question. However, I can't help wishing he put more of his creative talent into menswear (but then again men's fashion getting the short end of the stick is nothing new...).

11. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

I figured that. I'll admire from afar.

I'm 6' and 160lb and find some difficulties to wear every pieces he makes.
    I loved one of his last parka and the only size left I could try on was a M and it was already too snuggy [​IMG]. Same thing with blazers.
    Bought a S sweater that fits great tho from the same collection.

12. botfc

botfc Senior member

RE: Junya Watanabe This excerpt from a V Magazine interview with Junya has always stuck in my mind: AB: Your men's line is more like real clothing, jeans and T-shirts, and the women's has this huge element of fantasy. What is fantasy for men? Do they get any of this in their fashion? JW: Basics. Men don't have much fantasy for clothes, I think. It all comes down to the basics. That's the point of starting the menswear. For the women's I research with fabrics and shapes and the patterns; with the men's I really wanted to do something basic. I can't help feeling a little disappointed whenever I look at a Junya men's collection because of the above. That said, I can certainly see why people like it (and I do like it too) and this is probably the best re-hash of what he has been doing for the past 4-ish years.
    Actually exactly why I love Junya vs the majority of the other brands. As for sizing, it's tricky. I can swing large (like in pretty much any other brand) in button ups and sweaters but the outerwear is usually really tight in the arms (can't remotely do any of the layering shown in the pics above though). If you're lucky enough though, you can find XL (which won't be perfect but at least wearable)

13. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Just saw Givenchy... not a fan. I don't love Tisci, but this one was by far my least favorite. [​IMG] Edit: just looked at it again more closely; this just might be one of the most unattractive collections I've ever seen by a "reputable" house. I mean, I expect gimmicky garbage from Bernhard Wilhelm or something, but Givenchy usually rides the line of edgy/chic well. This is like Givenchy by Julien MacDonald awful.