Official Events and PSA thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Are the "tailored fit" shirts really just "not hugely voluminous?"

They claim that they have higher armholes and a more fitted sleeve and body, but compared to what?

It's fairly obvious (almost blindingly so) the comparison is vis-a-vis standard American fit (which is also their traditional fit shirts), not some fantasy fit. They probably even tell you this somewhere on their website.

2. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

It's fairly obvious (almost blindingly so) the comparison is vis-a-vis standard American fit (which is also their traditional fit shirts), not some fantasy fit.

Yeah. I figured that. I've just never had any Land's End merchandise at all to compare it to.

3. asdf

asdf Senior member

^ Thanks. I might try a few. At these prices, there isn't too much of a downside...

Plus, if they dont fit, you can return them at any sears...

Plus plus, if they dont fit and you want to re-order the same item in a different size, you dont have to pay shipping.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Yeah. I figured that. I've just never had any Land's End merchandise at all to compare it to.
    well, I believe that I've measured the 16 trad fit to be about 52 in the chest and 50 in the waist, and the 16 tailored fit to be about 48.5 in the chest and 44 or 44.25 in the waist (for BB or LE, which are comparable) I think the 15.5 neck tailored fit (since I've also done the size down a 1/2 inch in the neck if not wearing a tie trick) is about a 46.5 inch chest, and a 42 or 43 inch waist. I "think", but am not sure, that most shirt makers grade their chest and waist by 2 inches for each 1/2 inch change in the neck. But it may not be a continuous grading. And it may be 1.5 inches, not 2 inches of grading.

5. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The shirts aren't bad, especially the must-iron oxfords. They were selling them for $15 a couple days ago. Cut the tags and the pocket off, move the sleeve buttons in half an inch and you've got a decent shirt.

6. asdf

asdf Senior member

well, I believe that I've measured the 16 trad fit to be about 52 in the chest and 50 in the waist, and the 16 tailored fit to be about 48.5 in the chest and 44 or 44.25 in the waist (for BB or LE, which are comparable)

I think the 15.5 neck tailored fit (since I've also done the size down a 1/2 inch in the neck if not wearing a tie trick) is about a 46.5 inch chest, and a 42 or 43 inch waist.

I "think", but am not sure, that most shirt makers grade their chest and waist by 2 inches for each 1/2 inch change in the neck. But it may not be a continuous grading. And it may be 1.5 inches, not 2 inches of grading.

I just measured my 16s...chest about 48 and waist about 43. how would i measure armhole size?

7. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I had one of their slim fit oxfords a few years ago. Fit was decent across the chest and waist, but the sleeves/armholes were HUGE. Dunno if they've changed since... Anyone know the armhole size of a 14.5?

8. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Senior member

I'm a big fan of there shirts (wearing one today). I'd say the slim fit is no where near Band Of Outsiders or the like (which happen to be darted). They fit pretty close to Brooks Brothers Slim fit maybe even slightly more fitted.

9. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

LE Custom is actually awesome for BBCD too, they were 35.00 a few days ago. Their customization process was a million times more accurate than Jantzen for me and once you get the right fit the shits are consistently perfect. I can tell the Hyde Park fabric from much more expensive shirts, and I have tried all of them from Mercer to Black Fleece. Their Oxford ones are great too, and the normal dress shirts are my favorite travel shirt. The one thing is is you have arms at big differences like more than 1 inch than not being able to specify different arm lengths is not good. They have been cutting down the fabric selection and I am guessing the program may be ended.

10. mfadam

mfadam Senior member

FWIW Bennies.com has the last of their old Paul Stuart/Grenson Masterpiece shoes at $179.99. Granted sizes and styles are limited, but there are some decent loafers and chukkas at great prices. I'm not sure if they do those springtime PS shoe blowouts anymore...

11. ColumbiaKai

ColumbiaKai Well-Known Member

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

13. TEPLimey

TEPLimey Well-Known Member

He means benniesshoes.com

The shoes available make my eyes bleed.

14. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

^ At least we can be assured they will not show up in the B&S for $670 shipped after a few days after this PSA. [​IMG]

15. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

^ At least we can be assured they will not show up in the B&S for $670 shipped after a few days after this PSA. [​IMG]

[​IMG]