• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's time to create a thread where you all can ask questions about topics such as:

How much am I going to pay in duties if I order from XX webshop?
Who marks down the value of parcels? (not the best thing to advertise, but everyone seems to ask this question)
Which carriers are the worst at charging duty/customs fees? (we all know it is UPS, Fedex, and DHL, but people still ask)

OK, there you go. Let's keep this discussion out of the Official Sales Alert Thread. If someone wants to compile a list of shops or carriers that are good to work with, have at it.

radrodant

Reaction score
I've been charged customs by End Clothing as well as Meermin.
Haven't been charged by Tres Bien

cl smooth

Reaction score
LN-CC, antonioli, and Tres Bien are reliably duty free.

End, Wrong Weather, Norse store are guaranteed to get hit with duties.

anyone know about Oki-Ni?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
End Clothing is pretty terrible as far as customs/duties. They mark sale priced items full value. I had to send the actual receipt to the Fedex guy so they wouldn't charge me customs. I still had to pay the $35 handling fee.

B0Bs4g3t

Reaction score
End Clothing is pretty terrible as far as customs/duties. They mark sale priced items full value. I had to send the actual receipt to the Fedex guy so they wouldn't charge me customs. I still had to pay the $35 handling fee.

Thanks, I think I'll pass on their sale then, to avoid the hassle.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zissou, can you elaborate? Do you mean you sent the receipt to show the price you paid so they only charged you customs/duties for the sale price and not the full price? IE you still had to pay, but less?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, you have to pay US import duties on purchases over $200. I paid something like $185 for an item on sale at End when the retail price was ~$300. End marked $300 as the value, and Fedex wanted to charge me the $35 fee plus duties since the order was over $200. I sent them the actual invoice showing them that I paid $185, and they didn't charge me duties, just the flat $35 fee. It was worth the cost at that point.

Interestingly, I think that's the only time I have ever paid any fees/duties/whatever, and I have ordered from a lot of UK/EU shops.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the tip. Wish I'd known back in early Fall when I ordered some McNairys from End. Still a great deal though. We'll see how FedEx likes me next time.

TWorksheets

Reaction score
For all my Canadian bros:

Avoid DHL whenever possible when shipping from the UK. I have routinely been hit with the highest customs fees from this courier (as much as 35-40% of the item value).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads