• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Reaction score
fwiw I purchased a shirt through zm and requested it shipped through dhl express two weeks ago. The item arrived within 72 hours of shipping with no action on my end

yunBW

Reaction score
And you received it just fine? If so, it just reinforces my confidence in DHL Express.
yeah it just delivery like every other normal packages from dhl, no issue in clearance whatsoever

espen

Reaction score
I think I finally hit my threshold of ordering from End. No slight to them but jeeze...ordered one of the new Norse/Barbour jackets, $725 CAD, got smoked with a $254 customs bill from FedEx yesterday.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I finally hit my threshold of ordering from End. No slight to them but jeeze...ordered one of the new Norse/Barbour jackets, $725 CAD, got smoked with a $254 customs bill from FedEx yesterday.

Youch - that stings.

That’s a 35% duty. I don’t know anything about Canada import/export other than I know tariffs and duties to be considered high. Even then I would ask FedEx to specify the exact guidance they used in charging you. You might have to drill back to the customs docs and personnel at the import/export center.

May not be worth the headache.

espen

Reaction score
I took a real hard look at the paperwork and where they attributed the costs. Trust me, a more willing and able-bodied person could totally fight it, but like you said, the headache might not be worth it. Might just have to put End in that category of places that I ultimately can't shop from...or places that use FedEx. Even DHL feels like a downright bargain at this point.

As for paying, I did it in person at the depot in Toronto, even the guy at the counter was shocked. He kept saying "so much duty for a light package" which I chuckled at. I feel bad for those front line guys, they are just trying to do their job, yet I witnessed someone laying INTO a clerk for a duties charge way less than mine.

illiterate

Reaction score
You can still buy from END but you just gotta make sure the items are covered under NAFTA or CETA. No duties on those. Just taxes + brokerage fee.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah it just delivery like every other normal packages from dhl, no issue in clearance whatsoever
fwiw I purchased a shirt through zm and requested it shipped through dhl express two weeks ago. The item arrived within 72 hours of shipping with no action on my end
Good to know. It looks like my parcel cleared customs quickly. I’m really not sure why the zm CS folks gave such a dire warning about shipping footwear and clothing via DHL. I had to insist on it for it to happen.

Edit: wow, that was basically overnight shipping thanks to the time difference. I don’t think customs even blinked at the package. Zenmarket did an amazing job packing everything.

Last edited:

illiterate

Reaction score
Good to know. It looks like my parcel cleared customs quickly. I’m really not sure why the zm CS folks gave such a dire warning about shipping footwear and clothing via DHL. I had to insist on it for it to happen.

Edit: wow, that was basically overnight shipping thanks to the time difference. I don’t think customs even blinked at the package. Zenmarket did an amazing job packing everything.
Yeah, they've been great for me too. Item ships Monday from Japan, it's at my door Wednesday afternoon with DHL Express. When the value of the package is really low they don't even bother with it and clear it straight through customs.

bleeh

Reaction score
Just to chip in on documentation - since April I've had 2 packages shipped via Fedex and 4 via DHL from Japan, some jackets, shirts, and pants, and I have never been asked for extra paperwork. Value has ranged from $200 - $800. Shipping was always fast and my packages have not been held in customs for more than a couple hours. I'd be curious to know when your package actually gets sent back / when you get asked to fill out documentation.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I correct that the duties on importing a goose down coat into the US is prohibitively expensive?

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think down jackets in cotton or synthetics are actually pretty low in terms of duty into the US- 4.4% if the right HS code gets used.

Cotton
"6201.92.30 & 6201.92.05 = 4.4% Containing 15 percent or more by weight of down and waterfowl plumage and of which down comprises 35 percent or more by weight; containing 10 percent or more by weight of down"

Synthetic
"6201.93.50 & 6201.93.15 = 4.4% Containing 15 percent or more by weight of down and waterfowl plumage and of which down comprises 35 percent or more by weight; containing 10 percent or more by weight of down "

illiterate

Reaction score
I thought there were generally no duties on anything under $800 coming into the US?

Landau

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been hit with a use/sales tax after importing things?

illiterate

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been hit with a use/sales tax after importing things?
I don't know if they do that any more. They usually collect on delivery. A while back (5+ years), you would get a call or mail asking for $. I recall importing some Nike sneakers from the US into Canada via Fedex. I got a call almost a week after they were delivered asking for payment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads