• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

curiouscharles

Reaction score

Thanks for making that clear. 

So 18% is the duty rate for everything coming into Canada? or just clothing? (then what is the rate for non-clothing goods?)

that's just clothing and shoes [most clothing and shoes, that is].

the actual tariff table is overwhelmingly exhaustive, you can try and find a rate table by googling [or trying dutycalculator.com], but it's kind of an overwhelming task.

Canadian as well. I bought some Story Et Fall chelseas from a US dude off Grailed. He was adamant about shipping via UPS so I asked him to declare the value as $50 and he did.

Says in my tracking that I owe $106 in duties/taxes upon arrival. Why is this happening?

this happens sometimes, they might have read the declared price wrong, which strangely has happened to me a few times with Canada Post this year.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any canadians have experience with singapore post? Waiting for a package for almost a month now

ambyance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if discussed but apparently sunglasses are not part of the De Minimus value of 800.

"Sunglasses at any value require FDA clearance and an entry was required to be submitted. The fee you were charged was the duties accessed to the value of the shipment. You are correct on non FDA shipments where an entry would not be required for items under 800.00 USD. FDA does not fall under that De Minimus and are strict on the commodity being shipped versus the value. We have to comply with all government agencies and their requirements. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me. Thank you."

cmninja

Reaction score
Just want to say how great Matchesfashion shipping is. Recently, ordered my item early Thursday morning and received it the next day on the west coast. Their package is amazing as well. Inside the shipping box came a decorated box and inside that box contained my Lanvin shoe box.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
will I have to pay a fee in the USA if I buy a pair of boots listed at $1800? (from sweden)

Omega Man

Reaction score
Ok. A less painful story.
Got 2 invoices in Feb from FedEx for items purchased overseas. Both required me to pay a bunch of fees.
Got a reminder notice yesterday from their collection department asking for immediate payment. The fees were: Customs Duty / Canadian HST / Canadian GST / Advancement Fee / HST on Advancement/Ancillary Service Fee / Clearance Entry Fee.
I will pay duties and taxes. I called them up and asked them to explain what the other charges were. They were basically brokerage fee. I asked them nicely to waive them and they did. Saved me $$.
Never hurts to call and inquire about the extra fees.

GeorgeC

Reaction score
^
Wow, cool.
I ordered a pair of cheap sneakers from Tres Bien a while ago. Got a Fedex letter a couple weeks later asking to pay for basically what was 50% of the shoe's value. No big deal this time but I was under the impression that many people here did not pay duties/taxes etc when ordering from TB. Maybe it's just cos I'm in Canada....

Last edited:

dqm45

Reaction score
For those interested in ordering from Denimio to Canada (Toronto) - I placed an order on Sunday night. The package was delivered Thursday afternoon by FedEx International Priority. I was worried about brokerage charges, but I didn't have to pay anything - taxes, duties.

Very happy with the overall experience. Now hoping that my Samurais haven't shrunk too much after the soak.

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those interested in ordering from Denimio to Canada (Toronto) - I placed an order on Sunday night.  The package was delivered Thursday afternoon by FedEx International Priority.  I was worried about brokerage charges, but I didn't have to pay anything - taxes, duties.

Very happy with the overall experience.  Now hoping that my Samurais haven't shrunk too much after the soak.

Fedex generally sends you a bill later.

dqm45

Reaction score
Well, damn....I'll post a reply if I do get hit with taxes or duties.

dqm45

Reaction score

Fedex generally sends you a bill later.
So, yes, I did get a bill from FedEx today. Value of my pkg was $23 CAD.
Duties and taxes $13. FedEx 'advancement fee' of $10. Always surprised by the inventive gouging fees they come up with. Not a big deal, but still annoyed. I will call them and see if anything can be done, or pay.
Also told Denimio they should perhaps mention this clearly on their site. That being said, their service is still great, and I would buy again from them.

Sym

Reaction score
Fedex always charges ~$20 regardless of how low the package is declared. Not Denimio's fault.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads