1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The same as if you bought it from any country in the world except for Canada.

2. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

Canadians - if if ships via FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc, anything BUT the government mail (e.g. USPS or Royal Mail), you WILL get hit for taxes, you WILL get hit for duties, and you WILL get hit with brokerage fees, usually in the area of $10. If its not a NAFTA product, calculate the Canadian value of your purchase, and multiply it by you provincial tax, plus 18% for duties (e.g. 1.31 for Ontarians) then add $10 to the total cost for brokerage.

The only exception is if it is a US or Canadian made product, then you shouldn't get hit with duties, only taxes and brokerage.

Period, no exceptions.

I ordered a pair of Aldens from End in the UK and only got hit with taxes and brokerage because they took the time to fill out a NAFTA declaration. Props for that.

3. mdubya

mdubya Senior member

If the sweater is made in the US, then you will only get charged tax + brokerage. If the sweater is not made in the US, you will still get charged duties and taxes even though its coming from the U.S.

4. Cark

Cark Well-Known Member

Thanks for making that clear.

So 18% is the duty rate for everything coming into Canada? or just clothing? (then what is the rate for non-clothing goods?)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  5. kingofthefall

kingofthefall Active Member

Canadian as well. I bought some Story Et Fall chelseas from a US dude off Grailed. He was adamant about shipping via UPS so I asked him to declare the value as $50 and he did.

Says in my tracking that I owe $106 in duties/taxes upon arrival. Why is this happening?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  6. curiouscharles

curiouscharles Senior member Affiliate Vendor

that's just clothing and shoes [most clothing and shoes, that is].

the actual tariff table is overwhelmingly exhaustive, you can try and find a rate table by googling [or trying dutycalculator.com], but it's kind of an overwhelming task.

this happens sometimes, they might have read the declared price wrong, which strangely has happened to me a few times with Canada Post this year.

7. mythage

mythage Senior member

Any canadians have experience with singapore post? Waiting for a package for almost a month now

8. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

not sure if discussed but apparently sunglasses are not part of the De Minimus value of 800.

"Sunglasses at any value require FDA clearance and an entry was required to be submitted. The fee you were charged was the duties accessed to the value of the shipment. You are correct on non FDA shipments where an entry would not be required for items under 800.00 USD. FDA does not fall under that De Minimus and are strict on the commodity being shipped versus the value. We have to comply with all government agencies and their requirements. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me. Thank you."

9. curiouscharles

curiouscharles Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    2 people like this.
  10. cmninja

cmninja Senior member

Just want to say how great Matchesfashion shipping is. Recently, ordered my item early Thursday morning and received it the next day on the west coast. Their package is amazing as well. Inside the shipping box came a decorated box and inside that box contained my Lanvin shoe box.

11. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Senior member

will I have to pay a fee in the USA if I buy a pair of boots listed at $1800? (from sweden)

12. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

yessir
    thats over 800 usd (what boots are you buying? jw)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  13. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Senior member

clinch brass

I see... hmm odd how sometimes CBP doesn't charge the fee.

1 person likes this.
  14. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

Ok. A less painful story.
    Got 2 invoices in Feb from FedEx for items purchased overseas. Both required me to pay a bunch of fees.
    Got a reminder notice yesterday from their collection department asking for immediate payment. The fees were: Customs Duty / Canadian HST / Canadian GST / Advancement Fee / HST on Advancement/Ancillary Service Fee / Clearance Entry Fee.
    I will pay duties and taxes. I called them up and asked them to explain what the other charges were. They were basically brokerage fee. I asked them nicely to waive them and they did. Saved me $$.
    Never hurts to call and inquire about the extra fees.

1 person likes this.
  15. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Active Member

^
    Wow, cool.
    I ordered a pair of cheap sneakers from Tres Bien a while ago. Got a Fedex letter a couple weeks later asking to pay for basically what was 50% of the shoe's value. No big deal this time but I was under the impression that many people here did not pay duties/taxes etc when ordering from TB. Maybe it's just cos I'm in Canada....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  16. dqm45

dqm45 Active Member

For those interested in ordering from Denimio to Canada (Toronto) - I placed an order on Sunday night. The package was delivered Thursday afternoon by FedEx International Priority. I was worried about brokerage charges, but I didn't have to pay anything - taxes, duties.

Very happy with the overall experience. Now hoping that my Samurais haven't shrunk too much after the soak.

17. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Senior member

Fedex generally sends you a bill later.

18. dqm45

dqm45 Active Member

Well, damn....I'll post a reply if I do get hit with taxes or duties.

19. dqm45

dqm45 Active Member

So, yes, I did get a bill from FedEx today. Value of my pkg was $23 CAD.
    Duties and taxes $13. FedEx 'advancement fee' of $10. Always surprised by the inventive gouging fees they come up with. Not a big deal, but still annoyed. I will call them and see if anything can be done, or pay.
    Also told Denimio they should perhaps mention this clearly on their site. That being said, their service is still great, and I would buy again from them.

20. Sym

Sym Senior member

Fedex always charges ~$20 regardless of how low the package is declared. Not Denimio's fault.