• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

mookiej

Reaction score

you should be good if you have them send Canadian post. They accidentally sent my order ups and I got a 30 dollar brokerage fee, but teyh took care of it for me. Stand up guys.

thanks for the info. appreciate it!

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
Hey folks based in the US,
I have a buyer based in Europe who is thinking of purchasing one of my pieces. Which shipping service have you had the best experience with in terms of trackability, speed and reliability of service? This is my first time shipping outside of the NA region, but I really want to get rid of the pieces that are just sitting in my wardrobe. Thanks!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey folks based in the US,
I have a buyer based in Europe who is thinking of purchasing one of my pieces. Which shipping service have you had the best experience with in terms of trackability, speed and reliability of service? This is my first time shipping outside of the NA region, but I really want to get rid of the pieces that are just sitting in my wardrobe. Thanks!

From a European buyers point of view - USPS is generally very reliable and the speed difference isn't really consistent between the services. The main delays are when a package reaches customs - that can take anything from 2-7 days on top of the delivery estimate (unless the goods are low value gift).

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I return something, am I still responsible for fees? (UPS). I haven't actually seen a bill yet, they didn't ask for anything on delivery.

greene

Reaction score
Has anyone from the US made a return (shoes) to Tres Bien shop. If so how much did shipping cost you?

Lollie

Reaction score
Anybody order from Le Rayon Frais before? Experience with customs? I took a chance with them despite horrible online reviews....Still hasn't shipped 5 days after order.

professorclee

Reaction score
Menswear Shipping from Europe to the US: A Review

It seems I’ve been buying my menswear primarily from Europe these days, so I kept a diary of 1) how long it took for items to arrive from some of my favorite stores and 2) how the product arrived. I’ve ranked these popular online menswear retailers based on the swiftness and the overall shipping experience.
1) Sartoria Rossi: 4 days (shipped via TNT.it 10/26, arrived 10/30) Notes: I ordered a sport coat, and Sartoria Rossi packed it in a cool and clever box that had a built-in coat-rack.
2) Berg and Berg: 5 days (shipped via FedEx 10/21, arrived 10/26). Notes: Efficient with quick status updates, as expected from Norwegians. No issues.
3) Viola Milano 4 days (shipped via DHL 11/11, arrived 11/16) Notes: I was initially irritated that I never received any confirmation that the item had shipped, but I guess the rapid arrival makes up for the silence. Still, the tie was doused with a very strong cologne, probably from a thank you card that was put in the box, so I had to hang the tie in my garage, then outside to chill for a few days lest the fragrance overwhelm my whole closet. I’d suggest they stop doing that.
4) Boggi Milano: 7 days (shipped via FedEx 11/9, arrived 11/16). Notes: Tracking was easy, but customs was a bit annoying. Fed Ex called because they needed me to translate the Italian description of the items before they would release the shipment. Luckily, I was home to take the call to avoid delay. Still, this was extra interaction I would rather not bother with. Items came with a Boggi newspaper, which I enjoyed using to practice my Italian (it also included English).
5) Shibumi-Berlin: 15 days (shipped via DHL 11/5, arrived 11/20). Notes: This was the slowest shipment of all. At times the tracking showed no movement for days. Once the item hit the USA, it was relegated to USPS, which is usually the slowest carrier with poor tracking reports. At 15 euros for two ties, service should be faster. I would recommend that Shibumi try another approach..

ambyance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone been hit by dover street market london customs fees when ordering from USA?
order will be >300 pounds and i believe they ship via dhl

--------------
@greene shipping cost will vary depending on your location, weight and speed. most likely will go over $20

Last edited:

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience ordering from no void plus. My order wouldl be around $275 and they ship ups.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone have any experience getting duties/customs refunded after you returned an item to the seller? (DHL)

I don't know about in the US, but in the UK the carriers won't get involved - you have to contact Revenue & Customs with evidence.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it typical to have something stuck at DHL Germany with status "The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization" for twelve days?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. It takes FORever for **** to leave Germany. It once took an entire month for me to receive a sweater from Volls.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads