1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zissou, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Eis

Eis Active Member

Does anyone know the details of the nearly done Canada-EU free trade agreement? All I am hearing and reading about the deal involves beef and cheese. What about clothing and shoes?

2. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Yep, that was me. :hide:

They got here today, and they're pretty damn awesome. :slayer:

The DHL guy didn't ask for any money up front, but it's always possible that I could get a bill in the mail later.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  3. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Haha it's ok, I won the grey ones that ended a bit before those. Part of me is glad I didn't win both, would have felt bad spending $1200 on 2 pairs of boots.

Mine should be arriving today too.

4. BigC222

BigC222 Senior member

You can get hit by customs shipping from HK to Canada. I have previously ordered from Hypebeast store (based in Hong Kong) and they ship with FedEx and I got hit for a bill about $26. I find that with FedEx (whether I buy from Tres Bien or Hypebeast), the bill seems to be around $30 because they just throw in randomly $10 for duties, another $10 for service charge and then plus GST.

I actually just ordered something from Hypebeast yesterday so I'll let you know if I get hit with any charges. Usually the charges comes later in the mail.

5. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

Excellent, thanks for the info!

6. BigC222

BigC222 Senior member

J Bailey - Just got my package from FedEx. No duties or taxes [​IMG]

7. velomane

velomane Senior member

Check your mailbox in about a week. You'll find a bill from the nice people at Fedex.

8. ibringdoom98

ibringdoom98 Senior member

Had to pay a 14.6% ($77) duty on my package (shipped from Japan to US). It was a leather jacket, but the description on the customs form was only 'clothes'. My package wasn't opened for inspection so I'm guessing they chose a random duty rate from the clothing section of this book (http://hts.usitc.gov/). So I guess a word of warning to anyone using a proxy: if you declare full value on a package, make sure the proxy is specific with what's in the package. Otherwise, a whole slew of duty rates can be chosen from.

9. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Had to pass on a purchase from NMWA when I discovered I'd have to pay $154 before admin fees on a $440 buy. Gotta love the UK (or not)

10. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

Seems like Customs is operating as usual now. Package finally cleared after ~10 days sitting around, and had something from the EU finally show up yesterday evening after a similar delay.

11. Lollie

Lollie Senior member

Does someone have any experience with Le Rayon frais? Do they ship to North America with french courrier or TNT and has anyone had to pay duties?
    They seem to have a really shit online reputation (not anwering emails, canceling orders, etc) but those who have gotten their package seem to be satisfied.

12. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

$400 ish order, went smooth for me. LRF is a nice place IME

1 person likes this.
  13. malaysian

malaysian Active Member

Guys- recently I purchased a pair of jeans from Browns in the UK. They used DHL shipping, shipping was fast and everything was good.
    Then yesterday, I received a mail from DHL with an invoice for me to pay $$ for custom duties and shit.
    They charged me for import/export duties and payment deferment which totals to $71.52 USD.
    Thing is, I already received my item for DHL and when they send it to me, they didn't ask for any payment or any sorts.
    Should I pay them this amount or just ignore them?

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

You're fucked in the future if you ignore them. Do you not pay parking tickets either?

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Dude, have you even read any of this thread?
    DHL and FedEx will deliver your stuff and send you a bill for taxes + fees later.
    UPS and USPS will collect on delivery.

1 person likes this.
  16. malaysian

malaysian Active Member

Ahhh shucks. Just moved to US two months ago; never really had any problems with the customs til now. Painful :(

17. CasvalRD

CasvalRD Well-Known Member

Ordered a $250 USD Inverallan sweater from End, shipped via FedEx from UK to Ontario, Canada. Arrived with a $104 duties bill. [​IMG] Oh well. Not like I could have gotten it anywhere else.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  18. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

It shouldn't be much of a shock..taxes for Ontario (HST) is 13%, duties for clothing is 18% and you also need to tack on brokerage fees...it usually ends up being ~40% of your order.

19. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

Ugh, I won't be able to use endclothing anymore. Fedex fees destroy me. I asked them if I could pay extra for them to ship via royalmail and was refused outright. Love their store, but the customs/duty fees to the US are just outrageous. :/ My scope of EU webstores that I allow myself to use is getting narrower and narrower. :(

20. Lollie

Lollie Senior member

^40% of your order is outrageous. I've asked other UK stores to send with Royal Mail and they did...and I ended up not paying duty.