• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official blake x RЯL officer chino contest

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
Denim, post a pic of those new rigid herringbones. I would be down to start up a new contest with the pair you mentioned in the RRL thread

Denim

Reaction score

Denim, post a pic of those new rigid herringbones. I would be down to start up a new contest with the pair you mentioned in the RRL thread

I havnt bought them yet, will def get it when the times right money wise lol but we should start a new contest with that new pair most definately... Ill call one of the RRL stores and see if they can email me some good pics to show you guys

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Quote:
Weird, I got a similar question on tumblr the other day about my APC NS. Not really sure what the great mystery is here, so I don't really know what to say to answer your question. I asked my tailor to taper them, that simple. Yes I think most (all) tailors can do this. Your tailor will pin the article of clothing with you wearing it so you can see how much will be taken off and ask for more or less. But this is exactly what they do to alter a suit so based on what you said, haven't you had this done already? Anyway, there is no reason why the process is any different for more casual items like these pants.

aldenfan

Reaction score
Weird, I got a similar question on tumblr the other day about my APC NS. Not really sure what the great mystery is here, so I don't really know what to say to answer your question. I asked my tailor to taper them, that simple. Yes I think most (all) tailors can do this. Your tailor will pin the article of clothing with you wearing it so you can see how much will be taken off and ask for more or less. But this is exactly what they do to alter a suit so based on what you said, haven't you had this done already? Anyway, there is no reason why the process is any different for more casual items like these pants.
Thanks, that makes a whole lot of sense
thumbs-up.gif
. I have never been much of a sartorial type, so I was seeking to understand what is involved and how to go about it as I'd prefer to not wreck a $240 pair of pants in the process :). I have only had a few suits tailored so far in my life, and the alterations they made were only to the pants length and waist. It makes sense they would have you wear them and then pin and show how much. Now I think I will need to figure out what I think would look as far as how tapered to go. The only other piece of the puzzle was if this is a very complex operation and whether most tailors are able to do it easily. I will now search the SF forums to see if I can find some tailor recommendations for the NOVA/DC area. It is good to know that you can get jeans tapered that way too. Do you often get your APC or other denim tapered in such a way? My usual way of thinking would be for me to find another jeans maker that has the amount of taper desired, but I see now it may be easier to find jeans that fit well in the waist and seat and then taper the legs some as needed?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the issue is that they want to keep the selvedge line on the outside of the leg.

There is no issue with this with dress pants because there is no selvedge line to save. If you are only tapering from one side it may throw off the symmetry. I think this is less of an issue with jeans, because you don't have the crease you have with trousers. I am getting some tuxedo trousers thinned and also asked my seamstress whether it would be an issue since the tux trousers have that satin stripe going down the outside of the leg. He says that they would just taper from the inside, but if I needed to get more taper out of it, they may need to remove the stripe, taper, and re-attach.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah thats a good point winston. when I had my selvedge chinos taken in. I asked for the selvedge hem remain untouched

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice fit SVB. I want to do a pic that's basically the exact same as @institches WAYWT fit w/ mine, a chambray and my SNS. However, my bet intentions of posting more pics seem to rarely come to fruition.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking good svb. What alterations have been done this far? Dem chinos have aged like a fine wine

aldenfan

Reaction score
Damn, this was awhile ago. Those are shoes; the Knightsbridge model.
Thanks, I'm been looking a Loake and your pair look awesome.

Haha yeah, I'm looking at finding a pair of rrl rigid olive herringbone trousers and was reading up on people's sizing, tailoring, etc. on the officer chino. I am assuming hopefully the olive herringbones are similar. It seems most references to them on SF are in the form of "someone buy them and give us a review" so I haven't been able to find much on them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads