1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official blake x RЯL officer chino contest

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blklblk, Apr 4, 2011.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

do your fit true to size? I size down "2" (i.e. true waist 30, bought 28). I think they have change the fit a bit since 2012? I am planning to buy a new one since my old one got some ink stain I couldn't get rid off :embar:

2. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

And now for the long-awaited final follow-up:

My wife and I went to Portland this past weekend to visit friends, and got in early enough on Friday before anyone was off work so we had some time to kill. She's been wanting a good pair of jeans for awhile and hasn't been happy with the places we'd tried in SF and LA. So I figured we may as well go to Blake, and if we were doing that, I may as well wear my RRL chinos as well.

So I met Sam, who told me Blake was out of town, but he recognized me fairly quickly and mentioned they've been meaning to follow-up on the contest results. As I pretty much figured, they've been extremely busy and their styleforum presence must have just fallen by the wayside for a bit. But Sam was super helpful in getting my wife some great jeans and a couple of other items.

As far as the contest goes, I reiterated what I've said in this thread before; that I think NAMOR ought to be declared the winner, but Sam was really gracious and said they'd probably want to do something for me as well. I ended up getting a RRL belt as my award, and I'm wearing it right now. It's really fantastic and was way more than I was expecting (especially since I don't think I "won" per se...). Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to Blake when I swung back through on Sunday to pick up the belt, but it sounds like they are going to try to get something to NAMOR as well. So NAMOR, if you haven't heard from them you should probably email Sam or Blake.

Anyway, this was a fun contest and it was pretty rad to see the results everyone got. Anyone looking for more RRL stuff, or Engineered Garments should definitely check out Blake. EG stuff never fits me quite right, but they had a bunch of pretty cool items in the store, and a pretty good selection of women's stuff too. And it sounds like they are a few days away from having a full run of sizes in N&F denim for anyone interested in those.

Here are my shots from Portland:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

nice thats great to hear ... you guys both deserve it

and pics look fantastic as always bro

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. StanleyVanBuren

a few more shots from my follow-up visit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally, I went back to the first page of this thread and found my cringe-worthy original photo and did what I could to match it with the result 2 years later (luckily I still have the same office):

[​IMG]

notes: these have been tailored in a couple of ways; while they are size 28x34 -- and I am a solid size 29 -- they stretched out in the waist enough to require them to be taken by a not insignificant amount. in odd contrast to this, they shrunk in the length significantly. In the before picture I've got them rolled twice, but in the after picture there's no cuffing at all, and there is minimal, if any, stacking.

I also had them tapered from the knee down after much hemming and hawing, which looking back now was definitely the right choice. while the difference is not readily apparent from these shots, if you go back in the thread a bit you'll see that after they softened up from their initial stiffness, the legs were too wide from the knee down for a skinny guy like me.

finally, I will estimate that they have been washed around 20 times total. more than I would wash jeans, but much less than I would for any other pair of chinos. once the contest got going, I decided to really go for it. even still, while I've gotten fades at the stress points, and where I put things in my pockets, after comparing them to a brand-new pair in the store last weekend, they have barely faded at all from their original color. that was probably the biggest surprise in all of this.

and here is a close-up of the belt:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. randomkoreandude

looks great i need to take pics of mine as well and post them up

6. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I should too, it would be great if wasn't for the exploded pen in the pocket in my case...

7. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

My condition now[​IMG]

8. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Color became more like what Stanley showed on his picture, just not showing under the low lighting. I think my has gone through about 10 washes. Waist did stretch out a lot, but I just wore a belt. I do have some length shrinking as well, can't recall how significant.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

This might be a dumb question, but why so distractingly wrinkled? Isn't the material heavy? One guess is the rise is slightly too short, but that would only explain that area.

10. randomkoreandude

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

unfortunately dont have my good camera any more and dont have a dedicated photographer haha but this will have to do :)

2 people like this.
  11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Great stuff guys. SVB, congrats on the belt.

Was in the RRL shop in London yesterday, really nice set up. Up there with bleeker st. Had a chance to handle the "selvedge" chino. What a joke. It was super, super lightweight, honestly could have mistaken it for the regular cotton ones. Disappointed in RRL over this as the chino isn't what it used to be. When I first got the chino, the LE version had the 12oz 128x128 weave, super stiff, faded beautifully. Then the following year, weave was 11oz 128x96 (something like that. This years edition was even less stiff, softer, yet felt and looked like the real deal. The pair in the London store is only 9.25oz 100x50. Would not kop again. Should consider the possibility that this may be a spring summer version , hence the flimsy quality of the garment, but since its a core piece I highly doubt it. Fortunately some other RRL work pants still feature the original material, best to examine firsthand

4 people like this.
  12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

you mean 9.23oz 100x50? I know I am just being anal...

13. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

guys, where is the cheapest spot to get these?
    I have been thinking about kopping for awhile....

14. StanleyVanBuren

[​IMG]
    Uniqlo
    Epaulet
    RRL
    shoes

1 person likes this.
  15. iotan

iotan Senior member

I was in an RRL store yesterday and saw a different version of the selvedge officer chinos that are a heavier weight again (I think over 10.5), but I believe the weave numbers were even lower than on the 9.23 oz version. What type of effect should that have on longevity and fading? The price was still $240 for those interested.

16. iotan

iotan Senior member

I was also wondering how your tailors dealt with the selvedge line when tapering the legs on your chinos. I am considering trying to get my pair tapered more. Thanks!

17. StanleyVanBuren

Just have them taken in on the other side.

18. iotan

iotan Senior member

Thanks SVB. That seems logical. I was concerned that it would somehow throw off the shape of the taper if not done from both sounds, but I guess even if that is the case it would not be noticeable when tapering only small amounts (e.g., tapering down to a reduction of 0.5 inches at the hem).

19. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

they really do change fabric everyone season, guess I will pick up another pair when the price is right

oh and no idea about the weave number, there is someone on BS selling 11.?oz and 10x10 or something like that

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  20. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Namor - can you post some recent pics of the "Gunmetal" chinos or whatever they called them please. I was in W. Broadway the other day and tried them on - they seemed good and I seem to remember they came in at a stiff 10.5oz. I would be very interested in seeing how they are fading.