• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

* * * Official baller T-SHIRT thread * * *

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 2009, The Hunt For LA’s Most Expensive T-Shirt ended with Giorgio Armani's signature cashmere tee for $1,850. Since then, we've seen a nearly identical price tag on a (women's) plain green cotton tee with holes in it thanks to Balmain.

Cotton T-shirts are one category where a brand's price point really shows. Leather can be torn off an endangered alligator, artisanally aged and distressed, blah blah blah. With respect to cotton, I don't think you can do anything all that impressive except grow it in Zimbabwe; organic is nice when it's available (not often), and Fair Trade couldn't hurt if that even exists (Edun?). At least when it comes to jeans there is the extra craftsmanship of construction and the character of denim itself (with all sorts of finishes, blends, linings, quirks [slub/selvedge], etc.) to differentiate one design from the next and justify exorbitant pricing.

But in terms of t-shirts, what separates the four-digit variety from the contents of those Hanes three-packs your mother used to buy? There's the cotton sourcing/labour, as above; the "quality" of construction (anyone want to discuss what that encompasses or how much it matters in a tee?); and the design.

Most designs are prints, and most t-shirt designs visually tend to fall into a few simple categories: (1) small design on left chest, (2) big design centered on front, and (3) all-over print -- so I like it whenever designers subvert this. I came up with a few examples of "embellished" tees with more than just a print: a Margiela with snap-button armour, a quilted Jil, sequin-beetle-embellished Lanvin, a Gaspard Yurkievich with asymmetrical shoulder dart detail, and an indescribably textured Raf tank (EDIT: added a few more).

Here are some baller t-shirts to get things started:

Alexander McQueen

ysqDy.jpg

knaYx.jpg
urwUf.jpg
bc6Uw.jpg

MuzpK.jpg

Qp1kh.jpg
woI7T.jpg
Kfgd0.jpg

YDfvU.jpg

CAwOf.jpg
UDV9p.jpg

I guess he has a thing for feathers

Yohji Yamamoto

JY7Ai.jpg

Jil Sander

Wnf5P.jpg

Undercover

Sl8Jp.jpg

Vivienne Westwood

mlleo.jpg

Christopher Kane

lwQSM.jpg

f9F7O.jpg

GJrlH.jpg

AX6Fi.jpg

Balenciaga

I44mh.jpg
OIVwY.jpg

Neil Barrett

Qnh63.jpg

Raf Simons

1mCJO.jpg
LQlpp.jpg
K0HUy.jpg

PY7fb.jpg

Burberry Prorsum

ksH6P.jpg
AEOas.jpg

Dior Homme

HxfPO.jpg

JtvJ3.jpg

Gaspard Yurkievich

VkMFa.jpg
elVhY.jpg

Lad Musician

USVsj.jpg

Lanvin

ELERd.jpg
vbxJ4.jpg
OEfXG.jpg

Margiela

r90z9.jpg

BvZsi.jpg
WTblv.jpg

Comme des Garcons (SHIRT)

I think this was an undershirt, actually (it was on Yoox), but I like the print, it reminds me of bacterial cultures, microbes, that sort of thing. (Don't know if that's what it's supposed to be though or if it's just "paint splats" / abstract)

Dq4mm.jpg

Armani

One of those $1400+ cashmere numbers:
uyl8w.jpg

Balmain

dUcMo.jpg

Unknown

BFkLM.jpg

cv9rd.jpg

RpmYv.jpg

K3kio.jpg

Last edited:

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am looking for fitted white v neck and crew neck t shirts that thick and not see-through, suggestions?

clark kent

Reaction score
this thread is going to kill me. i've always wanted a christopher kane shirt.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impressive selection, always been a sucker for the Kane prints

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't manage to get my hands on one of the space tees this season, but in a stroke of luck yesterday I stumbled upon a Christopher Kane sweater languishing on deep sale at Opening Ceremony and it was my favourite print -- in 85% silk/15% cashmere, no less. So I picked it up (FYI, there are two more silk space sweaters still on sale.), but how insufferably douchey is this model!?

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have an old MMM bias-cut pocket tee with a subtle drape and deconstructed neckline I bought about 5 years ago, cost about $400 at the MMM store. I believe it was a season to season piece but I never saw any again in recent years. Was a good tee though. I should modify it and make a version of my own.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread needs moar Balmain. Dopest tees ever!!!

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd wear all of those, at the same time.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow list of ugly, why only graphic ts?

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I'd buy way more "baller" t's if designers would make more V and U necks. Right now all my t's are just Geller/MMM/N. Hollywood and some JL :(

kook

Reaction score
I like Sunspel... baller enough?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads