• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Official Alden Customization Thread **

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I just recently discovered him...is that the Catspaw sole on those boots? I had just started researching who could do that.

And agree this is an excellent thread to start especially as I am going to start with mods on my Alden and AE's over the next year or so. Right now looking at probably 10 pairs that I want to change up somewhat.

Last edited:

inn8chiro

Reaction score
Nobody puts baby in the corner!!

That's how I feel when these retailers do special make ups. It's nothing you couldn't do for yourself with a base model.

breck81

Reaction score

Nobody puts baby in the corner!!

That's how I feel when these retailers do special make ups. It's nothing you couldn't do for yourself with a base model.

I try and buy the model as close to the end game as possible. Like if I can buy a shoe with antique edge and brass eyes, then I only have to pay extra for the sole conversion. Or some combo of that. Now if its a "rare" shell color, I'll buy first available and then hit up Randy for the custom work.

Fortunately Fran's Boone has had the models I've wanted with brass and antique. Most come with leather or crepe, so an upgrade to commando is cheaper than the whole shebang.

Stoked on this thread. Can't wait to see the sick makeups. When I eventually get my Whiskey PTBs, I wouldn't mind adding a honey colored commando sole:)

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long does Randy ordinarily take to get back to you? I emailed him yesterday evening and I'm wondering if I should expect something today or tomorrow or if he is usually later.

schmallo15

Reaction score

Thank you.  Interesting short clip on hand-sewing of the welt.

No problem. First time I've seen a hand-sewing video. Didn't realize it was so much work!

I just recently discovered him...is that the Catspaw sole on those boots? I had just started researching who could do that.

And agree this is an excellent thread to start especially as I am going to start with mods on my Alden and AE's over the next year or so. Right now looking at probably 10 pairs that I want to change up somewhat.

He's got the Cat's Paw heels but I didn't get them, I went with the cork half sole and heel. For my next pair, I think I may give the Cat's Paw heels a try. You can see what he offers on his site and order directly as well:

http://www.drsole2011.com/dr-sole-originals.html

Admittedly, part of why I went with him was convenience (we're both located in Taipei) but I've been very pleased with his quality of work. Overseas shipping costs probably make it prohibitlvely expensive for some folks but I'm sure some of the other cobblers recommended here could do the work as well. It'd just be a matter of procuring the specific soles/heel's you're looking for.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

E-mail can take 2-3 days.  It might be faster if you message him via one of his posts on Instagram.

https://instagram.com/randythecobbler/

Still haven't heard back... I know you suggested reaching out via instagram, but I'm not sure how willing I'd be to take up someone's service if they don't respond to an email (which I obtained via their own website) within a week.

inn8chiro

Reaction score

Still haven't heard back... I know you suggested reaching out via instagram, but I'm not sure how willing I'd be to take up someone's service if they don't respond to an email (which I obtained via their own website) within a week.

Your email may have went to junk mail. Maybe he doesn't look at that. It has happened to me before. If you want to pm me your email address I can make sure he gets it. Or I can give you his phone number.

Cheers

Drew

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads