• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official 2012 College Football Season Thread

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
The ACC went 0-4 against the SEC yesterday. Clemson lost at home to USC's backup quarterback. FSU had the typical 4th quarter collapse, GaTech got asshammered by UGA, and Wake lost at home to Vandy.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so who's it gonna be vs. ND? Georgia or Bama?

I'm still not sure what I expect to happen, even when I do my best to put my bias aside. One thing I will say is that I don't anticipate a blowout.

That, and Georgia is coached by Mark Richt.

It's funny how the perception of Richt has changed over the years. When he first took over at UGA, he was viewed as a hungry, young coach with a knack for winning the big one. Now that's flipped, and he's perceived as a comfortable, long-term coach who can win everything but the huge game.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Six SEC teams in the top 10. Yikes.

It's kind of odd/unfortunate that the loser of the SEC championship isn't even going to get to go to a BCS bowl. You go from one win away from playing for the National Championship, to the Capital One Bowl or something because you have to play an extra game that somebody has to lose.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's kind of odd/unfortunate that the loser of the SEC championship isn't even going to get to go to a BCS bowl. You go from one win away from playing for the National Championship, to the Capital One Bowl or something because you have to play an extra game that somebody has to lose.

Long term, it probably isn't healthy for college football to have this level of dominance from one conference. The solution is simple, however. The other teams have to be better.

Kinda feel bad for Florida (but not really). They beat FSU, FSU is going to beat Tech and then be Orange Bowl champs. Gators won't even get Chick-fil-A Bowl.
actually nvm they will get to a BCS bowl some of the predictions say.

Also, Go Dawgs (of UGA).

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Of all the criticism the BCS receives, I've always thought this quirk was massively overlooked. The system penalizes teams for playing in their conference championship game, and that's really unfair.

Long term, it probably isn't healthy for college football to have this level of dominance from one conference. The solution is simple, however. The other teams have to be better.
Kinda feel bad for Florida (but not really). They beat FSU, FSU is going to beat Tech and then be Orange Bowl champs. Gators won't even get Chick-fil-A Bowl.
Also, Go Dawgs (of UGA).

It's all a cycle. One day the SEC won't be The Conference and some other conference will get the press the SEC receives now. It certainly does seem like the SEC has poised itself for a lengthy run at the top, but I have trouble believing it's permanent.

Florida will play in the Sugar Bowl.

:fistbump:

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's all a cycle. One day the SEC won't be The Conference and some other conference will get the press the SEC receives now. It certainly does seem like the SEC has poised itself for a lengthy run at the top, but I have trouble believing it's permanent.

yeah but you have to imagine they have at least two more seassons of dominance in them after this year. Is 10 years with a stranglehold of the championship good? I'd say we'll start to see some additional SEC backlash hurting the sport financially or a further decimation of other conferences if others don't up their game soon.

So, I was talking to a friend today and I mentioned that FSU was the other team that voted against raising the ACC exit fee to $50 million, so obviously they are keeping their options open... what about creating a new conference with FSU, Clemson, getting Notre Dame to finally join a conference and one other legit football school? Don't know who it would be, won't come from the SEC but I dunno, I think you're going to see national conferences or at least multi-regional conferences in the future.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of all the criticism the BCS receives, I've always thought this quirk was massively overlooked. The system penalizes teams for playing in their conference championship game, and that's really unfair.

That's why they pressured the B1G and P10 to get a conf. championship game.

This is probably true. And again, it's only the top 3 or so teams in the SEC that are so dominant. THere have been recent years where the B1G and B12 were much deeper. Ironically, the NC game punishes conferences by having all their lower teams play in a one bowl higher than they should... which hurts the overall conference record (look at all the B1G teams that got hosed by OSU going to the NC game).

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, Go Dawgs (of UGA).

Now I'm willing to accept that the top tier of the SEC is better than any other conference, but you have to admit that there is a feedback loop with respect to preseason SEC rankings and the SEC's soft OOC schedule. I'm getting tired of 6 SEC teams in the top 10 every preseason, then the SEC elite play cupcakes out of conference and Intra conference losses are chalked up to how "deep" the conference is and intra conference wins show just how "elite" the winner is while the loser doesn't drop far in the rankings because it's not a "bad" loss.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Now I'm willing to accept that the top tier of the SEC is better than any other conference, but you have to admit that there is a feedback loop with respect to preseason SEC rankings and the SEC's soft OOC schedule. I'm getting tired of 6 SEC teams in the top 10 every preseason, then the SEC elite play cupcakes out of conference and Intra conference losses are chalked up to how "deep" the conference is and intra conference wins show just how "elite" the winner is while the loser doesn't drop far in the rankings because it's not a "bad" loss.

The reasoning has become circular, but the bowl record does indicate that the SEC teams are appreciably better than anybody else at the top and then at least as good down through the ranks. SEC is significantly above .500 in bowl games for this whole streak.

It'll become moot with the upcoming playoff system anyway.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's a rule in place where if you finish in the top 3 in the BCS you automatically get to go to a BCS game. This rule was put in place after what happened to K-State back in 1998 when they lost the Big 12 CCG to Texas A&M and went from BCS #1 to #3 but got passed up by everyone. They eventually landed in the Alamo Bowl, and which from their level of play during that game had a huge letdown.

But I don't feel too bad for UGa or Alabama. Ask any coach, player, or fan if they would rather be in Florida's position and practically guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl or have a play in game for a chance to play for the BCS NCG. Everyone single one would rather be in UGa or Alabama's spot over Florida.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What awful play calling at the end by Kiffin. I didn't see anything tonight to make me think that either SEC team would be beaten by Notre Dame.

I thought the same thing at the end - Kiffin just looked lost or disinterested. I don't know much about him, but I'm curious how he's landed the jobs he has.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of all the absurd scenarios, Georgia Tech won their division and may have to apply for a waiver to be allowed to play in a bowl (if they lose to FSU they'd be 6-7). Good work, ACC Coastal!

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The SEC is 8-1 in BCS National Championship games, with its lone loss coming to.........an SEC team. That's astonishing. Until somebody beats them, there should probably not be less than 5 or 6 SEC teams in the top 10 on any given week, despite if they've lost a few games among themselves. They're just that good, and I don't suspect that will change.

Last edited:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The SEC is 8-1 in BCS National Championship games, with its lone loss coming to.........an SEC team. That's astonishing. Until somebody beats them, there should probably not be less than 5 or 6 SEC teams in the top 10 on any given week, despite if they've lost a few games among themselves. They're just that good, and I don't suspect that will change.

Bullshit.

# SEC Records Win % SEC Championships Claimed National Championships
1 Alabama 814–320–43 .710 22 14
2 Tennessee 794–347–54 .687 13 6
3 LSU 734–390–47 .647 11 3
4 Georgia 748–400–54 .645 12 2
5 Auburn 718–405–47 .634 7 2
6 Florida 669–385–40 .630 8 3
7 Texas A&M 682–450–48 .598 0 3
8 Arkansas 679–456–40 .595 0 1
9 Mississippi 621–486–35 .559 6 3
10 Missouri 632–522–53 .546 0 0
11 South Carolina 555–542–44 .506 0 0
12 Kentucky 578–572–44 .503 2 1
13 Vanderbilt 565–574–50 .496 0 0
14 Mississippi State 507–544–39 .483 1 0

There are basically 4 teams in the SEC that are consistently successful. UT and Auburn have history, but they are bottom feeders right now. Florida was a non-entity during Auburn's true heyday. Arkansas, Ole Miss, USC, UK, Vandy, and MSU are perennial bottom-feeders that get lucky and occasionally beat the big boys, but they are not any more formidable than the middle-tier players in the B1G , P10, and B12.... I'd take a Wisconsin, Michigan State, Okla State over Arkansas, Ole Miss any day. SC has improved a lot since Lou Holtz and his protege the Old Ball Coach took over, so I'll leave them out of it... but I'd bet bottom feeders in the B1G and B12 over Vandy, UK, and Ole Miss. Sorry, but the bottom of the P10 is as bad as it gets outside the Big East and ACC.... I wouldn't go there.

And their non-conference schedules are laughable every single year, while teams like Southern Cal, Ohio State, Texas, Va Tech, Oklahoma, etc. are going after serious non-conference opponents (except for FL who plays FSU every and UM occasionally).

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does the fact that the best team in the SEC each year is likely the best team in the country support the assertion that the SEC has 6 of the top 10 teams in the country at any given time?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads