1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2012 College Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by MrG, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Again ... bullshit. They hate to travel. Alabama bucked the trend the last few years doing a home and away with Penn State... but the SEC doesn't play good non-conference opponents because they don't like to play in the north, and G-d forbid they play in the cold.

Sorry - but I would bet the farm on Purdue/Indiana/Nwern/Colorado/Baylor/Iowa State to beat Vandy/Kentucky/Miss State/Ole Miss most years. You're dreaming.

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Considering non-conference games are primarily played in September, I doubt they're worried about playing on those frigid 75 degree afternoons. You're laying singular blame for something that takes two to tango. Show me a good team that has been trying to playing great SEC teams in non-conference but hasn't been able to, and I'll show you a team that is asking for its season to be spoiled early.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Actually, the SEC is the only FBS conference that plays most of their non-conference games later.

Bama played W Carolina in mid-november this year.
    Arkansas played Tulsa in November
    Auburn had two d2 non-conference games in November
    Florida finished its conference schedule on 11/3
    UGA 2 non-conference games in nov

are you looking at these teams?

So - Bama absolutely CRUSHED the scUM on a neutral field in the south. LSU traveled to Washington to take on the dregs of the PAC10, and a few teams (Florida, SC) have legit rivalry weekend games out of conference.

Every other non-conference opponent is a BAD team even in D2/non-FBS world.

4. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Boise State? Only SEC school I can think of that scheduled them was Georgia who would only do a home game and a "neutral site" in Atlanta. Okie State did a home and home against Georgia and went 1-1.

5. StephenHero

Ohio State's non-conference games by year.

Miami Ohio
    Central Florida
    Cal
    UAB

Combined record of those teams: 19-29

Akron
    @ Toledo
    Miami
    Colorado

Combined record: 18-29

Marshall
    Ohio
    East Michigan
    @ Miami FL

Combined record: 22-26

Navy
    Toledo
    USC
    New Mexico State

Combined record: 24-22

Youngstown State
    Ohio
    @ USC ( Ohio State lost by a mere 33 points)
    Troy

Combined record: 27-20

Summary:

-Ohio State has played ONE non-conference game out of Ohio in the last four years, and TWO in the last five years, which they lost. (@ Miami, who sucks and @ USC by 33 points)
    -They've played ONE opponent who was ranked in the top 10 in the preseason in the past four years, USC at home, who they lost to. (USC lost 5 games that year).
    -There is zero reason to take an Ohio State fan seriously about SEC non-conference scheduling.

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

All I'm asking for is 1 a year. So we played two against the U, USC in 2008 also, Texas the two years prior to that, and have home/away scheduled with Cal, VaTech, and Oklahoma coming up.

Texas, USC, and Okla were all coming off recent National Championships when tOSU scheduled them. The fact that they lost a few of them only highlights the fact that they are willing to take the risk and play the games.

7. StephenHero

Miami lost five games each season you played them.

USC lost five games each season you played them.

Neither finished the season ranked in both seasons.

Ohio State hasn't played a legit title contender for six years or more in the non conference.

Just stop.

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I'll stop when you can throw me a fact or two - USC lost one game at Oregon State in 2008 and beat Penn State in the Rose Bowl.

How bout some SEC examples?

9. StephenHero

Ohio State has won three non-conference games outside of Ohio in the last decade.

2007: W @ 7-5 Washington
    2006: W @ 8-3 Texas
    2005: W @ 7-5 NC State

The winningest SEC team over the past decade is LSU, who won six non-conference games outside of Louisiana in the same time period. That's twice as many games. You can't knock the SEC's scheduling with a straight face while still trying to defend Ohio State's much shittier scheduling.

Ohio State didn't play USC in 2008. Wise of them not to.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

as a huge Bucks fan I think much of the flack we get is not entirely undeserved.... the BiG is relatively weak as of late and it's true our non-conference schedule has been weak as well. If Bucks were eligible I believe they'd match up well with ND and would likely win the Championship... against an SEC contender I'm not so sure. just my 2 cents...

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

OK - so one team vs. one team LSU is better over the past 10 years. LSU also beat the crap out of OSU in a NC game.

Turns out, historically, OSU has 6 national titles, and LSU has 3.... in the last 10 years, the SEC is very dominant, especially at the top. I have never disputed this.

Meanwhile, at least 2 of those six were in texas (Michigan and Oregon), 2007 WV was an okay road win, @Tulane is not even an FBS school, ASU had 5 losses in 2005, 2003 Arizona is another mediocre minus team, and they lost a road game to Va Tech the year before.

If you get to count road wins @ Tulane, I'll take the 2 road wins against Cincinnati.

What else ya got?

12. StephenHero

It's much easier to win games when there is no pressure for you to win them. Had Ohio State been bowl eligible, they would have faced far more pressure to not lose. Their undefeated season is completely irrelevant in comparison to Notre Dame, who actually had to play for something.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

OK... didn't really say otherwise, did I?

In fact, I think I've said (maybe not hear, but publicly) that I'm relieved we are not going to get crushed in a bowl game we don't deserve to be in for beating the shit out of a conference that's having a shit year.

14. StephenHero

Ohio State schedules far shittier than the teams you're accusing of shitty scheduling. Those teams are also dominating in a way Ohio State isn't. Just stop. You look silly.

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

BTW - you know I also have a degree from UGA, right?

16. StephenHero

The other guy tried comparing OSU favorably to Notre Dame. It's a foolish proposition.

17. StephenHero

That doesn't have anything to do with Ohio's shitty scheduling and the Big Ten's inferiority.

18. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

This is just not fact.

ALL D1 schools do their part to fund-raise for local schools. I'm not asking the SEC teams to give up the Louisiana-Monroe, Eastern-KY games any more than I am OSU to stop playing Miami of Ohio, Toledo, and Cinti.

And, I haven't seen Kentucky, Vandy, or Ole Miss dominate anyone. Stop trying to make the debate something it isn't... the TOP of the SEC is better than the top of every other conference over the past 15 years. The middle/bottom is not.

19. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

No - just means I don't have it in for the SEC. I think it's a great conference with great tradition.

20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

what I meant was that had tOSU been eligible they would have played ND and had a legit (even likely) chance of winning.... considering Alabama, Georgia, Florida and recent history I would not be so confident and am loath to admit they would most likely lose such a game. that's all.