Official 2012 College Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by MrG, Aug 27, 2012.

1. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

+1. I don't even need to respond because you hit the nail on the head.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Well in Coker's defense, the horrendous PI call cost Miami the game at the end. I've always wondered if that ref had money on Ohio State.

3. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

Drives my Longhorn wife nuts, but I've said for years that the only reason UT won that national title was Vince Young. Mack Brown didn't do jack shit for it. Young forced the team to win. Brown just coaches not to lose, and unless you've got amazing, next level type players, that's just gonna make you 10-2 and a favorite to win the Independence Bowl. Brown consistently had the best talent and top level recruiting classes when he was at UNC, yet he never once won the ACC. And that was back in the days when it was a 9 member basketball oriented conference...

4. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Give Mack some credit. He has produced a lot of good NFL players out of Texas. It's just that his highest profile player, VY, turned out to be a mental midget. A lot of his other players have had solid pro careers compared to where they were drafted. Saban has had his share of washouts with Mark Ingram looking to be his biggest one. It's just none have been as big as Vince.

5. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

The more I watch ESPN the more I realize they are just groupies. They were all over West Virginia and Geno Smith's dick and now that they have lost it's like they are irrelevant. They are now slobbing all over Marcus Mariota and Oregon.

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

The timing was bad - the call was not that awful... and there were a ton of other bad calls. Games rarely come down to just one play... there were more than 60 other minutes of football during which the refs gave a few to the U. Just seems more obvious when it happens on a play that could be the last one of the game.

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

They're just following story lines.

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

FTFY

9. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

^ how is giving a team/player which is undefeated and putting up ungodly numbers a lot of press creating a story line? Is it only a legit storyline if the team has a storied history?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

10. MrG

MrG Senior member

Whether one believes there's a bias at ESPN or not, it's pretty rich to see an SEC fan, especially an Alabama fan, complaining about it.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Exactly why he went on ignore. He's insufferable and not in the way that fans of dominant teams can be insufferable, he was just an ignorant, uncritical, boring hack parroting any cliche he can find.

So one of the things I thought about on the drive into work this AM and couldn't remember why is... how did Miami get so bad so quickly? I'm sure there had to be a scandal or was it just the culmination of a lawless program finally playing itself out?

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

There was a huge scandal, although the penalty was much less severe than it could have been...

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yeah, there is something particularly grating about his obsession with Alabama.

It seems like you're forgetting the Shapiro scandal Ron mentioned. However, even in light of that, it does seem like they've face planted pretty dramatically.

Good to see you around again, by the way.

They haven't been punished yet, have they? I thought that wasn't going to happen until next year sometime.

14. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I don't really follow Maimi's recruiting, but to me, a west coaster, it seems like USF has gotten a lot better (I know who they are now) at the same time Miami has gotten worse. Is the talent pool in florida being spread thin?

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I remember the Shapiro one but since like 03/4 they've been bad.

Probably going back to lurking now.

[COLOR=FF00AA]<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 [/COLOR]