Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

official 2010 world cup thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by matadorpoeta, Feb 11, 2010.

1. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

Isn't offsides generally not called unless it is blatant? I thought Higuain was slightly, but clearly, offsides on his second goal in yesterday's Argentina-South Korea game. The refs gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    Even if our one guy was offsides, he wasn't involved in the play!! It's only offsides for a player involved, and Edu clearly was not. Besides, like 3 or 4 of our guys were getting blatantly held. HOW THE FUCK does nobody know what the call was?? Those stupid fucking refs... that call was completely inexcusable. I'm so [​IMG]

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Did he blow for offside?

My question too.

3. ShimonEzra

ShimonEzra Well-Known Member

That yellow of Findley was horrible. If that no goal was offside, how the hell can the ref call it while the linesman didn't. He was in absolutely no position to see if it were offside. I swear, that ref must be blind.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Did he blow for offside? I thought he blew for a foul. None of the U.S players where offside, the goalscorer certainly wasn't.
    I wasn't watching the game; I was reading commentary on ESPN's GameCast, which said the whistle was for offsides. Can anyone who saw the play shed any light?

5. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Wasn't that one challenge in the box a bit excessive too? I just got to the pub when that happened, but it looked like we should have had a PK.

Also, lol @ dempsey

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Not to mention that findley is out the next game because of another awful yellow card by that ref early in the game. He was also calling some stuff really late and never made clear what his calls were. The players and announcers were confused half the time because they didn't know what the ref was calling.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

There are probably the same number of bad calls in soccer as any other sport. Problem is that scoring is so low that each bad call is magnified in significance.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Did he blow for offside? I thought he blew for a foul. None of the U.S players where offside, the goalscorer certainly wasn't.
    well at least the world can see through total replay loops how much of a fucking dumbass that ref was... the refs have actually been pretty good on offside calls. even the univision 3d computer graphics seem to show that most of the close calls are by inches (where it even looks offsides but its onsides - like in the mexico game). i have a feeling the linesmen are being fed info from people observing from monitors above kinda like instant "go" if its a close call to let the ball run. to bad the fucking asshattery from the game ref can't be avoided through their headsets.

9. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

even the donovan interview after he said "he wouldn't even tell us what the call was". i don't think anyone really knows what it was. Originally it seemed like he called offsides but early match stats didn't list it for the US.

Yea, the refs have been solid so far this world cup on offsides. That was unreal. The replay is clear. There was obviously no offsides not even something that could make you think calling it. And i didn't see anything but bradley being hugged in terms of fouls. Clean play

10. George

George Senior member

I wasn't watching the game; I was reading commentary on ESPN's GameCast, which said the whistle was for offsides. Can anyone who saw the play shed any light?
    I'm in England and watched the game. There seems to be some confusion amongst the commentators over what the ref. blew up for. My impression was that he blew up for a foul, there was a lot of pushing and shoving in the box but I could be wrong. However two things: If the ref blew up for offside, no U.S player was offside. Secondly, if he blew up for a foul I'd say it was the U.S players being fouled. The goal should have stood.

11. phreak

phreak Senior member

yea it was offsides on Bradley. His foot was close to being past the last defender, but there was also a defender with two arms around his chest. Absolutely the wrong call.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I'm in England and watched the game. There seems to be some confusion amongst the commentators over what the ref. blew up for. My impression was that he blew up for a foul, there was a lot of pushing and shoving in the box but I could be wrong.

However two things: If the ref blew up for offside, no U.S player was offside. Secondly, if he blew up for a foul I'd say it was the U.S players being fouled.

The goal should have stood.

i'm instantly a Slovenia fan (because the US didn't actually lose to them)! i love the charlie brown stripe uniform! now only if slovenia can pull an upset on england! lol

[​IMG]

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Isn't offsides generally not called unless it is blatant? I thought Higuain was slightly, but clearly, offsides on his second goal in yesterday's Argentina-South Korea game. The refs gave him the benefit of the doubt.

no, he wasn't. the analysis brought it up. everything correct.

14. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

even the donovan interview after he said "he wouldn't even tell us what the call was". i don't think anyone really knows what it was. Originally it seemed like he called offsides but early match stats didn't list it for the US.

Yea, the refs have been solid so far this world cup on offsides. That was unreal. The replay is clear. There was obviously no offsides not even something that could make you think calling it. And i didn't see anything but bradley being hugged in terms of fouls. Clean play

Well, I think it's pretty obvious what happened now. The ref clearly had wagered several goats and/or banana trees on Slovenia to win, a la Tim Donaghy.

Seriously though, FIFA have to take action on this guy. I have never heard of a ref who refuses to even explain what a call was to players or coaches. Especially after a go-ahead goal in a game of such magnitude. This guy should never ref another game, EVER.

15. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

nvm