• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official 2010 world cup thread

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I believe you guys. That said, yellow + penalty then, no?
that's the double penalty issue. Yet the rule is clear:
Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
= Red card No need to be the last defender.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I believe you guys. That said, yellow + penalty then, no?

Nope - he's the last defender so he gets teh red.

nerazzurrri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canal Directo
that's the double penalty issue. Yet the rule is clear:
= Red card

No need to be the last defender.

You don't get a red if you're not the last defender 90% of the time depending on the severity of the foul.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the book also says "Use of abusive language and/or gestures" = red card. Referees use judgment based on the situation, the severity of the foul and their interpretation of the rule (e.g. here the words "obvious").

anywho... red card it was and they would have lost anyway.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
^^There is a correlation but by no way a causal link.
Of course to deny a goalscoring opportunity, you almost always have to be the last defender.

manicturncoat

Reaction score
What else could have they done against this opponent?
The swiss came to defend, and do nothing else.

The Swiss played a perfect game. The Spanish for all their fireworks were missing a player like Senna who was key to their success at the Euro. Bousquets is to slow and unless they can shore up the defensive midfield they will not go very far.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
m9rLj.gif

i lol'd for a good 5 mins.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
The Swiss played a perfect game. The Spanish for all their fireworks were missing a player like Senna who was key to their success at the Euro. Bousquets is to slow and unless they can shore up the defensive midfield they will not go very far.

I think the Spanish manager messed up by playing two deep lying playmakers (Xavi and Xabi) and Busquets, who is not a box to box midfielder. Spain really had no need for a DM given that the Swiss sat back to soak up the Spanish attack and hit them on the counter. This was a game for Cesc Fabregas. I'm sure that if Del Bosque puts him in the line up instead of Busquets, this will not happen again to Spain. I would play it like this.

------------------------------Torres
Iniesta-----------------------------------------------------Villa
------------------------------Cesc
-----------------Xavi------------------------Xabi

manicturncoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
I think the Spanish manager messed up by playing two deep lying playmakers (Xavi and Xabi) and Busquets, who is not a box to box midfielder. Spain really had no need for a DM given that the Swiss sat back to soak up the Spanish attack and hit them on the counter. This was a game for Cesc Fabregas. I'm sure that if Del Bosque puts him in the line up instead of Busquets, this will not happen again to Spain. I would play it like this.

------------------------------Torres
Iniesta-----------------------------------------------------Villa
------------------------------Cesc
-----------------Xavi------------------------Xabi

This is tactical suicide, not even Brazil can afford to play without a DM. When they tried this in 2006 France demolished them.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
I think the Spanish manager messed up by playing two deep lying playmakers (Xavi and Xabi) and Busquets, who is not a box to box midfielder. Spain really had no need for a DM given that the Swiss sat back to soak up the Spanish attack and hit them on the counter. This was a game for Cesc Fabregas. I'm sure that if Del Bosque puts him in the line up instead of Busquets, this will not happen again to Spain. I would play it like this. ------------------------------Torres Iniesta-----------------------------------------------------Villa ------------------------------Cesc -----------------Xavi------------------------Xabi
+1 Fabregas should have played, Busquets was useless.
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
This is tactical suicide, not even Brazil can afford to play without a DM. When they tried this in 2006 France demolished them.
Huh?! You forget Gilberto Silva and ZÃ
00a9.png
Roberto, who was the best brazilian player in 2006, + Juninho who used to play DM with Lyon but was OM in the seleçao. And I wouldn't call a 1 - 0, a 'demolition.' Brazil problem was the offense, not the defense. How come can't you score at least a goal when you have Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Robinho and Adriano in your team?!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

manicturncoat

Reaction score
+1 Fabregas should have played, Busquets was useless.

Huh?! You forget Gilberto Silva and ZÃ
00a9.png
Roberto, who was the best brazilian player in 2006, + Juninho who used to play DM with Lyon but was OM in the seleçao.
And I wouldn't call a 1 - 0, a 'demolition.'
Brazil problem was the offense, not the defense. How come can't you score at least a goal when you have Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Robinho and Adriano in your team?!

I was referring to when France demolished Spain in 2006.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by legorogel
your mountain neighbours won!

that doesn't make me happy at all...

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by legorogel
your mountain neighbours won!

I stupidly thought he was swiss in a pm once...despite his location clearly being Austria...I'm an idiot.

Good games yesterday, wound up watching the Spain game with one of my gym teachers whose family is from Galacia...a great time, as most of my coworkers care not for this tourney.

Spain should not have done anything differently (except finishing of course), they just didn't get the bounces yesterday. There was a midfield passing sequence in the 25th minute or so where they knocked around 7 or 8 one touch passes in like 4 seconds, was mesmerizing. I still think they won the group.

S African goalie had to be sent off, no doubt in my mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads