Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

official 2010 world cup thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by matadorpoeta, Feb 11, 2010.

1. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Gullit made a persuasive point last night on ESPN: Maicon shot with the outside of his right foot not the inside. Very likely he meant to shoot it. Having seen Maicon's exploits with Inter, I believe Ruud is correct.

I heard Ruud's point. It made no sense. Yes, of course he struck it with the outside of his foot. Nobody was debating that. The debate was about whether he intended to hit it with the outside of his foot. He very well could have been intending to hit it with the inside of his foot to cross it, but miss hit the ball on the outside of his foot. Pointing out that he hit it with the outside was an obvious observation. What we don't know is whether that's what he was trying to actually do.

2. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I've never seen such a crappy world cup since 2002. What a waste of a first week.
    !luc

3. bowman9000

bowman9000 Active Member

I heard Ruud's point. It made no sense. Yes, of course he struck it with the outside of his foot. Nobody was debating that. The debate was about whether he intended to hit it with the outside of his foot. He very well could have been intending to hit it with the inside of his foot to cross it, but miss hit the ball on the outside of his foot. Pointing out that he hit it with the outside was an obvious observation. What we don't know is whether that's what he was trying to actually do.

Well in that position, if you use the outside of your foot then it very likely means you intend to shoot and not pass. I do not believe for a a second, that someone of his calibre could intend to to use the inside of his foot and missed and hit it with the outside. Very very unlikely.

Even an amateur would have a problem. If you intend to hit the ball with the inside of your foot and miss, the way your foot is positioned as you strike the ball, the ball would've hit the top or bottom of your foot, not outside.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I have to believe that the altitude has to be affecting the ball somehow.

Yes, that's the other or additional explanation.

Given the way he hit the ball, the power behind it and the direction, he could have only been shooting.

Definitely. It's a Brazilian thing to look the other way. Well, not a Brazilian thing per se, but Ronaldinho does it often when passing the ball, for instance. I am sure it was intended.

5. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

6. celery

celery Senior member

The Swiss are defending so hard you'd think they're protecting the vatican out there.

7. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Well in that position, if you use the outside of your foot then it very likely means you intend to shoot and not pass. I do not believe for a a second, that someone of his calibre could intend to to use the inside of his foot and missed and hit it with the outside. Very very unlikely.

Even an amateur would have a problem. If you intend to hit the ball with the inside of your foot and miss, the way your foot is positioned as you strike the ball, the ball would've hit the top or bottom of your foot, not outside.

If he were intending to cross from that angle, he wouldn't necessarily strike it with the inside of his foot. He would strike it with more the top of his foot. Many times I've miss hit a ball with the outside of my foot when I meant to hit it with the top.

He was running at full speed and was off-balance falling out of bounds. The likelihood of cleanly striking a ball is not necessarily that high.

8. bowman9000

bowman9000 Active Member

If he were intending to cross from that angle, he wouldn't necessarily strike it with the inside of his foot. He would strike it with more the top of his foot. Many times I've miss hit a ball with the outside of my foot when I meant to hit it with the top.

He was running at full speed and was off-balance falling out of bounds. The likelihood of cleanly striking a ball is not necessarily that high.

We can argue this all the time : ) To kick the ball using the ouside of the foot from that angle takes more effort: you have to bend your foot to the left and down (toward the goal). You don't need to do that if you want to pass and use the inside of your foot.

Anyway, can any body explain what Drogba tried to do in front of the goal yesterday? He looked like he was defending Portugal goal.

Great game by Chile but another disappointing result.

9. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I'm with Zack.

Bottom line, I'm not 100% convinced either way, but I think some of the theories "proving" he meant to shoot are highly suspect. Frankly, if he did intend to shoot from that position, it was a pretty selfish, low-percentage, bad play, IMO.

10. bowman9000

bowman9000 Active Member

I'm with Zack.

Bottom line, I'm not 100% convinced either way, but I think some of the theories "proving" he meant to shoot are highly suspect. Frankly, if he did intend to shoot from that position, it was a pretty selfish, low-percentage, bad play, IMO.

Of course I am not 100% sure. He could've meant to pass with the outside of his foot from that position. Unlikely but then again he's brazilian. I've watched Maicon play quite a bit; I suppose I'm used to his shooting first mentality.

Now can I hope for a lot of goals during gameweek 2? Even Spain is having problems scoring...

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Frankly, if he did intend to shoot from that position, it was a pretty selfish, low-percentage, bad play, IMO.

From the angle he shot, the goal was probably about half a meter big. But a quality player sees the gap and puts it in. That's what he did.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Thirty-three percent possession shows them how its done.

13. celery

celery Senior member

I had a feeling the Swiss would score in some janky way. lol

14. legorogel

legorogel Senior member

probably the balls fault.

15. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

LOOOL the swiss ..