• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official 2010 world cup thread

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Good god the American defenders suck.....

that move jozi did was sick. no goal though.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jozi eventually got the touch and score. dempsey created another goal. nice game.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score

Yeah their defense is not very good. At the least you have a 80-90% Onyewu.

Dempsey I thought wasn't very good.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
On paper they are surely one of the best teams in the world. Rooney, terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole. But they are not well organised and these outstanding club players look poor at national level.

Lampard just missed another penalty today. We all know Lamps only plays for the pound sterling and never the flag.

When Jonathon Spector is a locks on the World Cup squad, it is a little scary. Just ask any Hammers supporter.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll say this about the US - their coaching staff extracts relatively more out of a set of somewhat average players than Capello does with the England squad.

And this is coming from an England fan.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Never again, please. My eyes are still sore.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann

Like someone else said, they can't all play at once. Maradona will likely play a standard 4-4-2. So you get the same issue of having to bench someone, likely to be Tevez and Milito, with Messi and Higuain starting. Not a bad choice, but we'll see how it pans out.

Mascherano is not creative enough to pull the strings, Veron might be tho.

DeMichelis is a joke, I can't believe he's still playing top-flight football.

The string pulling is not Mascherano's responsibility. That will fall to Veron or Maxi Rodriguez.

I've watched De Michelis at Bayer Munich and the champions league all season. To me, he's right up there with Lucio and Pique as one of the best defenders this year.

Evra is woefully slow on the backtrack and gets taken to task by any skilled winger, only managing to salvage the situation by committing horribly cynical fouls. Sagna is clueless going forward. They're two halves of the same coin, so put together they count as one world-class player.
I see it completely the other way. Sagna can slot into the center, like he does at Arsenal, when Evra gets forward. He may be clueless going forward but his defense is second to none amongst right backs.

Gallas is just old and knackered, I haven't seen Squillaci play recently.
Gallas is only 32 or 33. He has only suffered a calf injury in the last month of the premier league season. He'll be the freshest player France will have in their squad.

Squillaci is a quality defender.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
US is way too loose in defense. They will be fortunate to get out of the group phase. That said, they have flashes, which means they can beat anybody on any given day.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
Are you being serious? So Argentina's Messi isn't?. I agree with you about Ronaldo, although he's pretty to watch, and can hit a ball like nothing else he fails to perform in the big games. He did it time and again at United.
Rooney I have to say is one of the best players, his sheer power and speed is amazing. He can score goals with his left foot, right foot, head, from 30 yards or 6 yards. He is just quality. Although I have to say he sometimes fails to change a game and is therefore not THE best player in the world.

I think Argentina will do well, and I think the usual Brazil, England, Holland, Spain, France will be in the final 8. I think a suprise will be the USA, I think they are going to qualify and then do well. I think the final will be something to do with Germany. I really hope it's not just a boring final and one of the underdogs gets through.

I don't recall Ronaldo failing to perform in big games at Utd. He scored in CL semis and finals and important PL games. Leaving aside attitude, I would swap CR9 for Rooney tomorrow.
I know this is a World Cup thread and he is definitely not the same player for Portugal but for Utd he was world class.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
While it's fun to speculate on who has the best individual skills, it's important to remember that history shows that tactics usually prevail in the final rounds of the larger tournaments. So much of my critique of the various teams above is really a critique also of the tactical systems they're a part of. Argentina, for instance, don't really have a solid focus, and are still relying on players like Messi to bail them out. Contrast this with the Dunga regime, where there are not more prima-donnas and the formation and strategy has been a long time in the planning.

The difference between Argentina and Brazil is that Brazil has no plan B. If Messi gets injured Maradona has Aguero, Tevez, Milito and Higuain at his disposal. If Kaka suffers an injury Brazil have all of Robinho and Kleberson to rely upon.

Dunga may very well have Brazil organized but when they face a team that's just as defensively tenacious they'll suffer because the Brazilians are not built to defend for ninety minutes. I mean, can you really see Brazil out run a team like Denmark or Serbia?

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
US is way too loose in defense. They will be fortunate to get out of the group phase. That said, they have flashes, which means they can beat anybody on any given day.

I think Bradley will use the same tactics he used for the confederations cup. He'll park the bus and will try to hit teams on the counter and on set pieces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads