• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

official 2010 world cup thread

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Perhaps I should have rephrased my earlier post. England outplayed the US in every aspect of the game except for goalkeeping.

And I'm not arguing with the validity of the final score. It was a draw. I've accepted that. But it just seems like a shame to disregard the entire match and focus solely on the final tally.

This match was relatively meaningless in terms of giving a glimpse into either side's potential. Both England and the US could go sputtering out in the group phase or make it to the quarters. England does not look to be championship quality to me, but I could have said the same thing after the 1-1 US draw against Italy in 2006...

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
+1. US looked beat at the end.

That sub they brought in for Alitore looked in way over his head.

Disagree with people who said it wasn't a good game. I thought the US looked really good. Had most of the possession through a lot of the middle of the game.

Our defense really looked **** though.

I disagree. I think the defensive organization is what kept the game at 1-1. Rooney having zero scoring chances and England having to resort to playing hoof ball, speaks for itself.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Howard's saves are what kept the game from being 3-1 or possibly 4-1. England had a few really good shots on goal. Although to be fair, I was sure at a couple points that the US was gonna score a 2nd.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
I am an England supporter but an American as well so I was dreading this match. I'm just happy I can now get back to agressively cheering for both teams. England - I think they should start Hart next week. Yeah he's young, but he worked wonders for Birmingham City this season when on loan from Man City. He's a huge part of why the Blues were able to finish in the top half of the Premiere league their first year back from relegation. It's a risk, and I think Capello won't take that kind of risk right now without the three points he was hoping to have from tonight, but I'd support it. US - Howard is amazing. I hope that kick didn't crack a rib. As for the rest of the team, unfortunately I only know of Donovan and Bradley, and that's mostly because of the media. I got extremely tired of seeing so many white shirts and just a couple of blue when the US was trying to score. I don't know if it's the formation the US team is using or what, but it didn't seem to be working for the US. However, I know that I did see a team that was able to take Rooney out of the equation for the vast majority of the match, and that is huge. If they can keep their nerves under control I think they get out of the group round and might make it as far as the quarter-finals, depending. I'd love them to win it all, but I have to be realistic.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *Tee*
Yep. He helped Everton to a nice run of form since the day he joined the club in the winter transfer window, scored 2-3 goals ( If I remember correctly ) and played pretty well. I didn't argue the converse. Nonetheless, I don't deem it as his international breakthrough and would never label him as a world-class player... would you ?

It depends on what you consider world class. If by world class you mean Messi, Ronaldo and Kaka, then I wouldn't consider him world class. Now, if world class means you can start for any big club in Europe, then he's world class.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very pleased with today's outcomes. Korea wins 2-0, Nigeria looks beatable for Korea, and USA ties an easily more powerful team thanks to keepers on both sides.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
I think Howard's saves are what kept the game from being 3-1 or possibly 4-1. England had a few really good shots on goal. Although to be fair, I was sure at a couple points that the US was gonna score a 2nd.

I love Tim Howard but you have to admit that most of the saves he made were from shots that went straight at him. The reason why I think the US defense was good today was because England had maybe two ins on goal the whole game and got in the way of everything.

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
It depends on what you consider world class. If by world class you mean Messi, Ronaldo and Kaka, then I wouldn't consider him world class. Now, if world class means you can start for any big club in Europe, then he's world class.

rolleyes.gif
³

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You stupid, motherfucking plonker! I ******* mean it! Self-fulfilling prophecy! Ridiculous. Again!!! Excuse my language. ****! Girl has already asked/told me to calm down!LOL
_48060945_009519191-1.jpg
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since this is SF, I'd just like to add that Maradona looked ridiculous in that suit. The US commentators kept saying it was a $4000 suit (I'm a sure a joke). Looked horrible.

And the shoulder/sleeve on the Greek kit makes it look like they're wearing blue undershirts sticking out.

I really like the US kit though. It looks bold. And sort of looks nostalgic.

b

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maradona looked like a margarine yaffling twerp. Beckham looked delicious in his three piece with English lions badge resplendent. no ****
smile.gif
plz excuse any comments. I decided to get pissed after Green's howler..

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the games have been really entertaining. I am just so happy England didnt win I want them to fail so hard even harder then USA.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I think the games have been really entertaining. I am just so happy England didnt win I want them to fail so hard even harder then USA.

why?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
I love Tim Howard but you have to admit that most of the saves he made were from shots that went straight at him. The reason why I think the US defense was good today was because England had maybe two ins on goal the whole game and got in the way of everything.

Yes, that is good positioning, anticipation, and not getting faked out. I think goalies often don't get the credit they deserve for what they do. When you have 8 guys jumping, running, and sliding like mad in front of you, it takes skill to know what to do and where to be.

I don't think the US played that well, I still cheered for them and was still jumping in the air when they scored their goal, but England is the better team.

Again, the US defense wasn't very good, and the only reason you didn't see more attacks from England is because the US had solid midfield control. I suppose you could say that is part and parcel of 'defense', but when you have possession so much of the time, it's odd that not much happens in your opponents end zone or your end zone. Which is why I consider it to be midfield play.

I am interested in seeing them play again as I have a sneaking suspicion that a large part of their blunders were due to nerves as this game was hyped to ridiculous levels.

Bashmachkin

Reaction score
I think England had the better of the game overall, but I think that was only marginally the case. They saw more of the ball in the second half and looked dangerous without creating a lot of clear-cut chances; Lennon and Johnson had plenty of space down the right-hand-side, but struggled when it came to playing the final pass; I think in general England played with a lot of pace and thrust, but they lack composure and could have done with creating more centrally, with more patience and intelligence.

I thought America retained the ball well after England's opening goal, and though they were fortunate with the equaliser they got, they deserved something for retaining the majority of possession for a long period in the first half, and for creating the chances which fell to Onyewu and Altidore. I think Dempsey and Donovan are excellent players, who move and pass the ball more intelligently than any of their English counterparts besides Rooney and Joe Cole - who is worth a start in the next game given the underwhelming performances of Milner and Wright-Phillips. America didn't retain the ball anywhere near as well in the second half, but they remained composed and resilient in defence even if their defence left gaps and didn't appear really soundly organised; and Altidore had an excellent chance after beating Carragher, who in my view shouldn't be near the England squad (my view is that he was recalled undeservedly, presumably at the behest of Gerrard or at least with him in mind).

England haven't played with a proper midfield for years now. Gerrard and Lampard are not central midfielders - they may be two of the best players in the world playing in the hole behind one or two forwards, but in the centre of the midfield they are not of international class. I think Lampard is slightly more positionally astute and tidy with his passes; if one of the two has to play in the centre of midfield, then I'd play Lampard there and move Gerrard to the left; otherwise, England could move to a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 formation, with Gerrard on the left, Lampard in the hole and perhaps Carrick alongside Barry behind (those two aren't especially athletic, but there aren't many alternatives in the twenty-three Capello has picked). If Gerrard is moved to the left, then that may mean no Joe Cole, which would be a shame, but Gerrard isn't going to be dropped even though I personally think I would drop him (I like Joe Cole, I like the width and pace Lennon provides, and I'd prefer Lampard for a central role in either of the above formations). Whatever, I think Lampard and Gerrard cannot both play in central roles, and ideally I think neither would play in the centre of midfield for England.

I wonder if a 4-2-3-1 would also suit America? Dempsey roamed to good effect from a starting position down the left, but that can expose the left-back; Donovan's all-round play was good and he moves cleverly and has superb close control, but I thought he was even wasted a bit stuck predominantly down the right; whilst Altidore is quick and reasonably strong, but I wasn't impressed by either of his support strikers. If Altidore played as a lone striker, with Dempsey behind, Donovan on the right, but the two of them interchanging, then America could play a more conservative left-sided attacking midfielder who could drop and help out defensively; the two holding midfielders could cover ground, bring some organisation to the defence and supply the forwards; and with Dempsey and Donovan given the freedom this would provide, Altidore might end up with more support and America could become more dangerous in the final third.

Obviously the managers are not likely to make many or any particularly bold tactical changes at this point, and I think England and America both have a good chance of progressing regardless. I thought the game this evening was an entertaining one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads