1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

official 2010 world cup thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by matadorpoeta, Feb 11, 2010.

1. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

2. Amar ezzahi

Amar ezzahi Senior member

Even though I hope Algeria would do something (at least one victory in the group), I will support Argentina.

And, by the way, limiting the extraordinary carrer of Maradona to his hand of God is the same as to limiting Edward Green to a pair of subs. Please try to do with a ball what he is doing with a orange and we'll talk about him after.

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I shall sub to this threak. Be warned, I'll be watching all you footy mofos. Any denigration of my team in any way will be dealt with quickly and with extreme prejudice. As long as we beat the living shit out of Argentina, and that we or another humiliate Portugal, I'm cool with whatever happens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

koreaaaaaaa. 2002 again!!! again again again
    Korea and USA for me. I don't expect much from either [​IMG] Kind of weird that N. Korea is in it.

5. sabvinnie

sabvinnie Senior member

Argentina with Messi in such awesome form will be hard to beat. Spain without a fully fit Torres may not be able to go all the way.

Germany without their captain Ballack...

Not wanting this to happen but England look as good as they ever had on paper (which is most world cups) and their draw is not too bad.

I just don't want Italy to get even close - I hope they all break their ankles for real instead of rolling around pretending they have every time an opposition player gets within 3 feet of them.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Please try to do with a ball what he is doing with a orange and we'll talk about him after.

this pretty much nails it

i root for italy.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Germany without their captain Ballack...

forget him. he is a whiney bitch.

8. greekonomist

forget him. he is a whiney bitch.

+1 million. I hate Ballack.

9. banjabear

banjabear Well-Known Member

Spain without a fully fit Torres may not be able to go all the way.

Disagreeee. Spain have THE best players in the world in Xavi and Iniesta. People who go on about Rooney and Ronaldo are deluded. And why worry about Torres when they have Villa and David Silva?

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

What is the U.S. injury list looking like? It's hard to keep up with.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

12. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

ok.

for me, three teams i'd love to see succeed. argentina (maradona drama aside), holland (just maintain a good level of play and you're in the quarterfinal at least), and spain (torres is not the only lynchpin they have villa and THAT MIDFIELD!). gravy would be the U.S. plays well and gets into the second round.

im a fan of bold predictions so here: brazil and italy out in the second round. good riddance. laugh at me later.

13. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I'm Chelsea through and through. But I have to support the USNT. Always have, always will.
    But once they get knocked out I'm backing Spain. I think it's their turn to be WC Champions.

14. svelten

svelten Senior member

ok.

for me, three teams i'd love to see succeed. argentina (maradona drama aside), holland (just maintain a good level of play and you're in the quarterfinal at least), and spain (torres is not the only lynchpin they have villa and THAT MIDFIELD!). gravy would be the U.S. plays well and gets into the second round.

im a fan of bold predictions so here: brazil and italy out in the second round. good riddance. laugh at me later.

Even bolder: Brazil bounced out in round 1, Drogba and C. Ronaldo advance. They did well enough in qualification, but continental advantage for Africa's strongest side and a healthy Portugal finding its stride after a messy qualification can be enough to edge out Brazil on GD. Their squad doesn't have the same firepower it used to in a group that could probably be decided upon it.

15. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I admitt I am lazy so i didn't read through the post.
    Will a SF pool be made. Let's gamble bitches!!!!!!!!!

16. SD1

SD1 Senior member

I really hope Portugal finally does something on the world stage. Probably not, but I can always hope! [​IMG]

As do I, though I am most excited to see if the US can get their act together. As mentioned earlier, their chemistry has been hit or miss lately.

17. breakz

breakz Senior member

Disagreeee. Spain have THE best players in the world in Xavi and Iniesta. People who go on about Rooney and Ronaldo are deluded. And why worry about Torres when they have Villa and David Silva?

Xavi and Iniesta are both dealing with injuries. They'll play, but with all these injuries Spain is no longer the best in the world. It's a damn shame, too--this is the best Spanish squad in a long time.

I'd like to see the US succeed, but yesterday's game was bad news. Our defense is in trouble with a rusty Onyewu, and we still do not utilize space well on the pitch. Hopefully Donovan/Dempsey move the ball better than yesterday's midfielders.

18. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Essien out of the WC.

Might need to rethink my pool picks.

19. greekonomist

I'd like to see the US succeed, but yesterday's game was bad news. Our defense is in trouble with a rusty Onyewu, and we still do not utilize space well on the pitch. Hopefully Donovan/Dempsey move the ball better than yesterday's midfielders.

+1 Completely bereft of ideas going forward, except for one or two surprisingly fluid attacks. I did think Torres moved the ball well in midfield, but he faded from the game.

Official US 23-Man Roster:

GK: Howard, Guzan, Hanehmann (can't we persuade Friedel to come back?)

Defenders: Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundolo, Spector, DeMerit, Goodson, and Bornstein ([​IMG])

Mids: Dempsey, Donovan, Edu, Clark, Bradley, Feilhaber, Holden, Torres, Beasley (really?)

Forwards: Altidore, Buddle, Gomez, Findley (a very depressing lot)

20. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member