official 2010 world cup thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by matadorpoeta, Feb 11, 2010.

1. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Man, what a nice attempt.

2. TBSDSpaniard

TBSDSpaniard Senior member

No, it's unfortunate that you're too closed-minded to understand anyone's viewpoint other than your own partisan one. There's a difference between "respect" for accomplishments and dislike of style of play, attitude, etc. That's just part of sports. Some successful teams inspire virulent hatred outside of their core of fans -- others do not. But respect is not "commanded" -- it is earned. If you think that most people have less respect for the Azzurri than you, perhaps you should question whether it's necessarily everyone else's judgment that's impaired.

Well thought out response. One that I wish I could have articulated myself. And you caught my error, you are right, you cannot command respect, only earn it.

In this case though, I feel a little of a mob mentality against the Azzurri. I know many individuals who are not fans of the Azzurri have also pointed this out to me.

I actually don't think I am close-minded at all, as I do understand everyone else's viewpoint. I also understand sir, that if one watches games in this tourney, there are many other teams that use similar tactics. I wanted to point out, that in this tournament the Azzurri did not overtly employ said tactics, and if others feel otherwise, would like to have been directed to the instances so I could view them myself.

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

This may have been the worst game I've seen so far.

I can't recall one memorable play.

4. onix

onix Senior member

Oh well, both games went as expected [​IMG]. Hopefully Chile and Spain game will be good.

5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I feel bad for the poor North Koreans. I wanted to see them have a respectable showing.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I feel bad for the poor North Koreans. I wanted to see them have a respectable showing.

They should be happy they get to be out of that miserable country.

7. onix

onix Senior member

They should be happy they get to be out of that miserable country.

I don't know what's waiting for them back there after a 1-12 record though [​IMG] .

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I don't know what's waiting for them back there after a 1-12 record though [​IMG] .

Ouch.[​IMG]

9. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    The N.Korean players are healthy and got to eat while they played. Now it's back to the mines!

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Who knows what kind of twisted information is going to be presented to the masses - a World Cup trophy made of paper mache and gold paint?

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

The N.Korean players are healthy and got to eat while they played. Now it's back to the mines!

Who knows what kind of twisted information is going to be presented to the masses - a World Cup trophy made of paper mache and gold paint?

i thought we had established that this is not the appropriate thread for these remarks.

in other news, spain could go out, and if they draw we could see brazil v. spain in the next round. that's the match that should be the final.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I hate to backtrack a bit, but I just watched the Japan game last night and both of those first two goals were pretty damn incredible. I just wanted to say that. The third looked a bit sloppy, but kudos to Honda for his unselfish play and finding someone with a better angle.

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

The first free kick was amazing, but the keeper made a real hash of it. and i think it played into his head on the second one, too. the kick seemed to catch him completely off guard.

14. onix

onix Senior member

I hate to backtrack a bit, but I just watched the Japan game last night and both of those first two goals were pretty damn incredible. I just wanted to say that. The third looked a bit sloppy, but kudos to Honda for his unselfish play and finding someone with a better angle.

Japan is really good this year, their physical strength and endurance are quite surprising.

15. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

The second one (i think)...where Honda makes that sick move in the box and crosses to the guy with a sitter was amazing.

He out-Brazilianed/Ronaldo'd the Brazilians and Ronaldo.