1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

official 2010 world cup thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by matadorpoeta, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not a long time soccer fan so I don't know if this has ever been an issue in the sport, but has there ever been serious discussion of eliminating the offside rule? It would open up the game a lot.

2. Baron

This is starting to look like the Germany England game. Nice finishing.

3. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

mx just shat the bed. game over. [​IMG]

4. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

Wow, what was that Mexican defender thinking right there??? Must have had a total brain fart thinking Higuain was on his team.

5. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

That was even worse.

6. onix

onix Senior member

There are always some bad officiating in WCs, but it is particularly bad this year, disastrous calls every single match (well, at least those that matter).

7. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

What does Madrid see in di Maria, again?

8. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I'm not a long time soccer fan so I don't know if this has ever been an issue in the sport, but has there ever been serious discussion of eliminating the offside rule? It would open up the game a lot.

They changed the rule 20 years ago to make a player who is level with the second to last defender onside. This was meant to open up the game.

9. Baron

They changed the rule 20 years ago to make a player who is level with the second to last defender onside. This was meant to open up the game.

What was the old rule?

10. George

George Senior member

Real question - Why are there not an extra 2/4 refs in the World Cup and allowance of instant reply regarding if a ball crossed the goal line or not? Or some kind of technology that sets off a red light if the ball crosses the line, kind of like in hockey? I understand not all leagues can afford these additional resources, but that would not be an issue for the WC. I am interested in learning from someone with more knowledge on the subject than me why this kind of thing may be opposed by FIFA authorities...I'm sure there may be a reason but I don't know what it is.
    At this level, and with what's at stake. There is no excuse. Anyway you could have a video ref that could review any contentious decisions. Do they do that in American football? I can't remember.

11. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

Real question - Why are there not an extra 2/4 refs in the World Cup and allowance of instant reply regarding if a ball crossed the goal line or not? Or some kind of technology that sets off a red light if the ball crosses the line, kind of like in hockey? I understand not all leagues can afford these additional resources, but that would not be an issue for the WC. I am interested in learning from someone with more knowledge on the subject than me why this kind of thing may be opposed by FIFA authorities...I'm sure there may be a reason but I don't know what it is.
    They have this, it's been used (edit: tested) successfully at many levels of play: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal-line_technology FIFA are just a bunch of morons, who don't give a shit about fair play or transparency, and are accountable to no one.

12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Van Basten proposed this some years ago, as an experiment. I'm not sure if the experiment was executed.

13. msza

msza Senior member

I really enjoy watching Argentina play. Long live Maradona.

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I don't blame the officials, I blame FIFA for putting these poor bastards in the position to be scapegoats. Since 1990 the game has become so much faster, and the players so much stronger, due to technology within the game that clubs use, increase in medical advances, training advances, nutritional advances...these guys (the players) because so much money is at stake are trying to be in the best condition all the time now (its also leading to physical breakdowns in players England squad perfect example) because if they're not they lose their spot, and lose their contracts. Its only fair that the referees get the same help that the players get, bring in some technology into the game. It doesn't have to be like in football or hockey where the game stops...just put a monitor in front of the fourth official, or bring in a fifth official who works solely on the monitor get him in the ref and/or linesman's ear piece and GET IT RIGHT. Most games are televised anyway, and not every freakin youth game needs a replay official.

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Lol. If someone new to soccer only watched the US-Slovenia, US-Algeria, and Mexico-Argentina games, I think their understanding of the offside rule would be quite interesting. Shame on FIFA.

16. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Van Basten proposed this some years ago, as an experiment. I'm not sure if the experiment was executed.

I'm not sure it will work to open the game, may even slow it down. Defenders will just play even more conservatively and you'll wind up having a lacrosse like game where defenders can't cross the halfway line and attackers can't either.

17. bowman9000

bowman9000 Active Member

I'm not sure it will work to open the game, may even slow it down. Defenders will just play even more conservatively and you'll wind up having a lacrosse like game where defenders can't cross the halfway line and attackers can't either.

Agreed. Plus w/o the offside rule, defenders would remain static in the back, thereby limiting the flow of the game.

But this officiating has become worse and worse! Last WC was bad but this one might top that today. FIFA has got to get this fixed one way or another. I'm afraid to watch the final game only to see the officials decide the game!

18. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

I want to see Albiceleste in the final but man what a shitty call.

19. breakz

breakz Senior member

What an atrocious game. Mexico looked great for the first 15-20 minutes but that ridiculous offsides goal changed the game's complexion.

Props to the Mexican team for protesting to the linesman and referee. Was it professional? No. Was it necessary? Absolutely. This probably won't wake FIFA up but they should be embarrassed.

20. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

I'm so fed up with all these bad referees ..

[​IMG]