• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Officer's Coat

aldenfan

Reaction score
I saw this Officer's coat on sale at BB:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Gold...L00184,default,pd.html?omnpp=remembered items

I really like the look of it, and the fact you can get it in XLong sizes (sometimes even a long doesn't cut it when it comes to sleeve length for me).

I've had a lot of bills recently and the cost is just too much, even on sale. I can't spend that much on a coat, but I really like the look of it.

Are there similar quality coats out there for less? Has this coat been offered other years? Does BB ever discount further after the sale ends on Jan 3rd?

Any opinions on the look? Classic or a style fad?

Thanks!

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a classic in the sense of a Chesterfield Coat and hence not suited for the most conservative of occasions.

Nevertheless, I like the look with the exception of the brass buttons.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot. I have a similar RL Black label coat, in wool instead of cashmere. I agree about the buttons, I would swap them out (which is what I did with mine.)

Coburn

Reaction score
I would wear that ... if it fit. It's has a classic look (it's a style that's been around for 100years) and it's practical for cold weather.

However, the price seems too high. For that kind of money, you can have a made-to-measure coat.

Take a look at the mytailor.com site. Joe Hemerajani will give you a MTM coat for as low as $1000.00.

I seem to recall NY Ranger getting a bespoke coat from Ercoles for $2K.

Cdubbs21

Reaction score
Just get one at Zara that looks exactly the same as that for hundred bucks. Keep the two grand, spend it on a watch or booze.

aldenfan

Reaction score
Just get one at Zara that looks exactly the same as that for hundred bucks. Keep the two grand, spend it on a watch or booze.
I have a good watch already and I am not drinking booze currently. Can you point me towards a comparable one by Zara? Is Zara a reputable brand?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great on that photo, I like vintage navy vibe

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic. Golden Fleece is premium, so it's going to be made in Italy most likely and be high quality wool. Will keep you warm and make you really pop.

Not sure if you're serious about Zara, but basically you'd be getting a trendy cut jacket made in China that will last one season and then look poor. Save up your money for something better, IMO.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just get one at Zara that looks exactly the same as that for hundred bucks.  Keep the two grand, spend it on a watch or booze.

Golden Fleece is the top-range of BB clothing with lots of handwork, no gluing, made out of decent fabrics by reputable manufacturers

Zara is the Spanish version of H&M / Gap using cheap fabrics, glued together by underpaid workers in some sweat shops with the result being a garment designed to last a season.

aldenfan

Reaction score
Looks fantastic. Golden Fleece is premium, so it's going to be made in Italy most likely and be high quality wool. Will keep you warm and make you really pop.

Not sure if you're serious about Zara, but basically you'd be getting a trendy cut jacket made in China that will last one season and then look poor. Save up your money for something better, IMO.
Thanks, I wasn't familiar with Zara and whether they would last. It sounds like BB or some other company will make a longer lasting coat than Zara.

aldenfan

Reaction score
Golden Fleece is the top-range of BB clothing with lots of handwork, no gluing, made out of decent fabrics by reputable manufacturers

Zara is the Spanish version of H&M / Gap using cheap fabrics, glued together by underpaid workers in some sweat shops with the result being a garment designed to last a season.
Thanks, good to know. Sounds like I would not be satisfied with a Zara coat. I'll have to save up and someday maybe purchase a brooks brothers, bespoke, or some other quality coat.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw this Officer's coat on sale at BB:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Gold...L00184,default,pd.html?omnpp=remembered items

I really like the look of it, and the fact you can get it in XLong sizes (sometimes even a long doesn't cut it when it comes to sleeve length for me).

I've had a lot of bills recently and the cost is just too much, even on sale. I can't spend that much on a coat, but I really like the look of it.

Are there similar quality coats out there for less? Has this coat been offered other years? Does BB ever discount further after the sale ends on Jan 3rd?

Any opinions on the look? Classic or a style fad?

Thanks!

This coat is based on a Navy Officer's Bridge Coat. They are normally made of melton wool and not cashmere. You can find the melton ones on ebay and elsewhere for under $200. They are exceptionally warm coats and you can replace the brass buttons if you don't like them.

aldenfan

Reaction score
This coat is based on a Navy Officer's Bridge Coat. They are normally made of melton wool and not cashmere. You can find the melton ones on ebay and elsewhere for under $200. They are exceptionally warm coats and you can replace the brass buttons if you don't like them.
Thanks so much maxnharry. It is so helpful to have the name of the coat and alternatives now (especially knowing they are normally made of melton wool!). I'll be looking on ebay and elsewhere for metlon wool ones. I learn so much on this forum. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Cdubbs21

Reaction score

You know a lot of merchandise with the "made in Italy" tags just have the stamp from Italy and the item itself could be made in sweatshops? The sweatshop argument goes out the window if you've ever worn Nikes.

As for Zara being inferior, of course but you're going to save two grand on a pretty basic jacket. It's not exactly a show stopper is all and you'll be tired after a season or two with it anyway. But hey if you got the money to blow on a coat like that, why not.:slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads