1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Office Romance?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by FRATERNITYSTUD, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

OK, might be so in the States, I've read some stories. I honestly can't see this happening over here. Of course she could claim whatever she wants, but you don't have to be afraid of any legal issues. Unless you do harass her, that is.

Still, it's not only a matter of *legal issues* ... The potential damage to your reputation from a badly-ended relationship (no matter if it's casual sex or a real relationship) is not neglectable, certainly in a small company. People will always end up considering that you made a major faux pas by dating someone from the company [​IMG]

2. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

You may want to get hold of the George Stevens film, titled A PLACE in the SUN. It stars Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor (she was SEVENTEEN, in this role,) and Shelley Winters. Watch it.

3. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Wait til the office christmas party to make your move and let it end there but keep flirting so that when both of you are toasted at the party it'll be easier to do your business with little consequence. Or even better, take her out with some of the other bankers for some innocent high roller fun then do your business and forget about it. In other words, keep it strictly as a one night affair and dont give her any illusions about anything developing afterwards

This is the worst advice yet.

4. Kai

Kai Senior member

Geez!!!

I can't believe all of the worrying going on in this thread. Unless you are a complete jerk and begin harrassing her, an office romance is not going to get you fired. It would be different if she reported directly to you, but I'm guessing that she doesn't.

I'm thinking that the most likely negative consequence is if the romance ends, it might be a bit uncomfortable to have to see each other every day.

If you are attracted to her, and she seems like a nice person, then by all means ask her out on a date.

If I was in your position, there is no way I would be deterred by the fact that she was the receptionist.

5. Sean

Sean Member

I work in a restaurant and I am kind of working on someone right now. She is a sort of Assistant Manager but is my age and is alone in a new country. In this restaurant, with about 60 employees, it will more than likely get out when we start sleeping together. But, the major thing in your situation, is this is your career. This is my temporary job during college. Completely different ball games and not worth the potential for disaster, especially if you lose your job because of it and then have to tell your next employer why you lost your job.

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

What sort of fraternities do they have in Sweden?

7. JeffC

JeffC Senior member

I work in a restaurant and I am kind of working on someone right now. She is a sort of Assistant Manager but is my age and is alone in a new country. In this restaurant, with about 60 employees, it will more than likely get out when we start sleeping together. But, the major thing in your situation, is this is your career. This is my temporary job during college. Completely different ball games and not worth the potential for disaster, especially if you lose your job because of it and then have to tell your next employer why you lost your job.

The restaurant industry is just one big coke-induced orgy anyway.

8. manifest v

manifest v Senior member

I think it's time to take a cue from James Bond here (from the movies anyways), he never did more than flirt with Mrs. Moneypenny.

Flirting with the receptionist is something you do because you're a ladies man and you've got mojo! Take that with you outside the workplace and holla! Having sex with her would just be a a sad sign of desperation...

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think it's time to take a cue from James Bond here (from the movies anyways), he never did more than flirt with Mrs. Moneypenny.

Flirting with the receptionist is something you do because you're a ladies man and you've got mojo! Take that with you outside the workplace and holla! Having sex with her would just be a a sad sign of desperation...

Wait a minute, having sex with gorgeous women is a sad sign of desperation? <confused>