• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Office decoration etiquette

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
So I am starting a new position here in a month or so. Any input on etiquette for decorating your office? What is the etiquette for putting up awards from a previous employer in your new office? Is that 'hey look at my accomplishments' lame? The company is an east coast pharmaceutical and I would say the office cultural seems to be pretty straight and narrow (not much individualism).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i have seen college diplomas and training course certifications posted up on walls in offices and cubicles.
as well as certs and awards given out by the company that they are at right now, for the benefit of encouraging others and healthy competition.

dont put up awards from previous employer. yes, that is lame.

congratulations on your new job!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a photo of your kids/wife/girlfriend and perhaps some cool item reflecting your interests. You can also add some stylish desk accessories like a clock, pen holder, etc. Other than that, awards from another company just aren't appropriate. And, what reason would anybody have to show their diploma?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think some Garfield posters and that one poster with the kitten hanging onto a rope with the caption "hang in there" are essential.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cloud9eleet
What is the etiquette for putting up awards from a previous employer in your new office?

If it has your previous employer's logo on it, you'd have to be pretty ballsy to put it up (maybe not so much if your previous employer is in no way a competitor to your current company, but still.)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How bout a picture of your old boss? Or your old workplace with "HAPPY" written under it?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dilbery cut-outs taped to your wall. And, burn incense frequently. Bonus points if you can hang a bead curtain at the doorway.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I think some Garfield posters and that one poster with the kitten hanging onto a rope with the caption "hang in there" are essential.

What about one of the great SkyMall posters that says "Endurance" "Team Work" and has some little blurb below it?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
motivation.jpg

Opcn

Reaction score
I second the notion of demotivators, I work out of my room (as I am still in college and an RA) and I've got one about worth right over my desk, I love it. I also would recommend a fish tank, something small like a 12" cube with a mantis shrimp and some plants in it would be cool and give you some nice clean lines.

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I'm pretty sure any of these should be appropriate...

http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Thats exactly what I was thinking.
lol8[1].gif
I think I will also wear a tuxedo T-Shirt my first day to meet with my direct reports because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

Anyways thanks for the input guys, I really just wanted to validate the previous employer awards. I have been in consulting for 10+ years and this will be the first time I am working in industry with a real office (you mean I dont have to hotel?!). While my intuition told me it would be lame, I wanted to check and see what you guys thought.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cloud9eleet
Thats exactly what I was thinking.
lol8[1].gif
I think I will also wear a tuxedo T-Shirt my first day to meet with my direct reports because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

Anyways thanks for the input guys, I really just wanted to validate the previous employer awards. I have been in consulting for 10+ years and this will be the first time I am working in industry with a real office (you mean I dont have to hotel?!). While my intuition told me it would be lame, I wanted to check and see what you guys thought.

No problem - and yes, I agree with everyone else - keep the previous employer awards at home. Perfect for your den or that little corner with a desk your wife sometimes lets you have
laugh.gif

And hey, if you're going to wear the tuxedo T-shirt, remember nothing sets it off better than a freshly cut mullet - business in front, party in the back!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads