• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Office 2007

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many of you have tried the betas, and plan on doing the big upgrade?

I haven't used it yet, and don't know if I want to. It's doubtful that anyone from my office is going to want to make the switch (hell, most are WordPerfect users still), so I don't know if I want to go through all the trouble with re-learning all my office apps from scratch.

Of course there is the curiosity factor that makes me want to try, but for God's sake...removing the File/Edit menu?! Are we ready for this?

BTW the more I use WP myself, the more I'm coming to actually like it. It does always screw up my labels though...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My network admin uses the beta at home but not at the office - he has concerns about backwards compatibility. He loves the beta he's been using, but I think Outlook hangs on him, which is a bummer.

the bad news is that when I say he loves it, I mean he drools a bit and starts asking five times a day about when we'll budget for the software and how soon he can upgrade the office. I worry about him sometimes.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think 2007 is a no-go for me. The most important (and most in need of an overhaul) Office app, Outlook, isn't changed enough to be a compelling reason to upgrade according to these reviews I am reading.

True, once you get used to the tab/ribbon interface on Word, Excel, PowerPoint, it might be easier/more efficient...but anyone with a brain and/or google can figure out how to do what they want to do on the 2000/XP/2003 versions.

Also, I am NOT ready to give up the File/Edit menu and it's shortcuts. I know full well there are Control-XXX shortcuts for everything there are File menu shortcuts for, but the fact that the file menu is RIGHT there, makes learning the odd and not oft used shortcuts much easier. For instance, in Word when I want to add lines to the bottom of a table, Alt-A-I-B, and boom, it's done. Good luck finding a Control key shortcut for that!

P.S. New format for Word docs?! I don't think so. I'm not going to be downgrading my documents into a compatibility mode so any and everyone I send them to can read them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads