• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

MSAINT

Reaction score
Don’t think so. The kudu ones I have I’m sure are a 5. They may be available as a 6.

The original Grassmere in Zug grain are 6 fitting .
They also exist in 5 fitting like the ones we own, those I "gave" to my brother where the almighty Original Grassmere (4497S, 6.5, 6) like those available on the Outlet.
db3ffbaf88a5c4189b69ed45751b02234ae58048.jpg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
The original Grassmere in Zug grain are 6 fitting .
They also exist in 5 fitting like the ones we own, those I "gave" to my brother where the almighty Original Grassmere (4497S, 6.5, 6) like those available on the Outlet.
db3ffbaf88a5c4189b69ed45751b02234ae58048.jpg
Those are weapons. Not keen on leather soles. I like the feel of them but not the wear.

Pedlar

Reaction score
I always thought the Grassmere was 6 fit? Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Same here, I sold mine for a song to my brother as his has duck feet!

Thanks, Reiver and MSAINT and Crafty.

Grassmeres are 6 fitting I think. But I don’t know how much of a difference that is from the 5 fitting that I’m used to, and am a long way from anywhere I could walk in and try one on. I have a feeling my feet would be swimming in them, though.

@Mikedbfast mentioned a Bourton in a non-5 fitting not too long ago and it’s had me wondering— is it usual to find Tricker’s available in a variety of fittings or is that an MTO feature?

Last edited:

Pedlar

Reaction score
^^ I should’ve waited for more of the collective wisdom to arrive! Thank you, all. I will keep an eye out for a five fitting Grassmere… And regretfully turn away from those at the outlet!

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

Grassmeres are 6 fitting I think. But I don’t know how much of a difference that is from the 5 fitting that I’m used to, and am a long way from anywhere I could walk in and try one on. I have a feeling my feet would be swimming in them, though.

@Mikedbfast mentioned a Bourton in a non-5 fitting not too long ago and it’s had me wondering— is it usual to find Tricker’s available in a variety of fittingsI have a feeling my feet would be swimming in them, though, or is that an MTO feature?
I think consensus was to size down half or have bloody wide feet...

Pedlar

Reaction score
I think consensus was to size down half or have bloody wide feet...
Size down for Zug....hmmm

Edit for clarity: For some reason, I had not thought about sizing down but that might be a way to get into the Zug Grassmeres. I think I have talked myself out of jumping now but it gives me something to think about.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

@Mikedbfast mentioned a Bourton in a non-5 fitting not too long ago and it’s had me wondering— is it usual to find Tricker’s available in a variety of fittings or is that an MTO feature?

The C shade Keswick on commando is 6 fitting. Keswick/Ilkley/Bourton are all the same basic style. I could have sworn there was a version of Ilkley that was 6.

It's just those few stock models that are available of the shelf in 6 fitting. I don't know if they'll do 6 fit in other stock models. Otherwise you're probably going to have to go MTO.

Pedlar

Reaction score
The C shade Keswick on commando is 6 fitting. Keswick/Ilkley/Bourton are all the same basic style. I could have sworn there was a version of Ilkley that was 6.

It's just those few stock models that are available of the shelf in 6 fitting. I don't know if they'll do 6 fit in other stock models. Otherwise you're probably going to have to go MTO.
Thanks, @zippyh, this is good info.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Looking at my catalog, Kendal in C Shade available in 5 or 6 on leather sole, Keswick in C Shade in 5 or 6 in leather, Keswick in C Shade in 6 on commando, Matlock in brown zug in 6 on commando, Grassmere in brown zug or black scotch grain in 6 on commando, Malton in C Shade in 5 or 6 on leather and 6 on commando, Ripon in C shade in 6 on leather, Wetherby in C shade in 6 on commando.

Kendal is same style as Woodstock PTB. 4497
Keswick is same as Ilkley and Bourton, 4444
Matlock is shoe version of Grassmere, 4497
Malton is same as Stow, 4497
Ripon and Wetherby same as Burford PTB, 4497

The main takeaway from this is if you have wide feet, you better like C Shade.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Ilkley’s were a 5 width

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at my catalog, Kendal in C Shade available in 5 or 6 on leather sole, Keswick in C Shade in 5 or 6 in leather, Keswick in C Shade in 6 on commando, Matlock in brown zug in 6 on commando, Grassmere in brown zug or black scotch grain in 6 on commando, Malton in C Shade in 5 or 6 on leather and 6 on commando, Ripon in C shade in 6 on leather, Wetherby in C shade in 6 on commando.

Kendal is same style as Woodstock PTB. 4497
Keswick is same as Ilkley and Bourton, 4444
Matlock is shoe version of Grassmere, 4497
Malton is same as Stow, 4497
Ripon and Wetherby same as Burford PTB, 4497

The main takeaway from this is if you have wide feet, you better like C Shade.

I wonder if because C Shade Gorse and zug are their tougher more water resistant leathers they build the shoes and boots wider for proper thick socks with outdoor poor weather useage in mind?

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
^^ I should’ve waited for more of the collective wisdom to arrive! Thank you, all. I will keep an eye out for a five fitting Grassmere… And regretfully turn away from those at the outlet!

I bought a second pair of zug Grassmere a few weeks back from the outlet thinking they were a fitting 6 as advertised . They weren’t , they arrived a fitting 5 , and marked same , which was too small for me . Def buy your “true” size for these ( though maybe check with Trickers beforehand just to be sure what they are sending ) .

Apologies if this info is too late for the sale .

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I wonder if because C Shade Gorse and zug are their tougher more water resistant leathers they build the shoes and boots wider for proper thick socks with outdoor poor weather useage in mind?
More than likely. That was the original intention...

I’ve said this before, vast majority of us aren’t hiking through peat bogs shooting pheasants any more...??.

Hiking to Costa!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads