• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

krspdla

Reaction score
Cuba Waxy Low Leg Loggers today

Attachments

• DF29FF2F-1A67-4FEF-9984-60123CF30093.jpeg
    DF29FF2F-1A67-4FEF-9984-60123CF30093.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 163

Metrosey

Reaction score
Wish I'd got in on the MTO - if anyone has a size 10 that they've changed their mind about do let me know.

What's the best product to use to treat a pair of calf leather Stows that will be used exclusively in wet weather? Until now I've used some Salmon goretex XA Pro trainers which are ugly but effective - is it possible to use the Stows and keep them in good condition?

I won't be able to provide you the best/most accurate answer as I'm like a GYW Junior, however, I'd look at Saphir Wax. Anything with Beeswax will help with water resistance while meaning natural. I'd recommend the Pate de Luxe for increasing rain resistance as it won't taint the colour. Personally, I use the Pate de Luxe for the Acorn Stows, it was recommended by Mr MSAINT (this was for light rain). It doesn't alter the colour from what I've seen.

This is another solution. It is used by MrJamesCoat for suede (can be used on smooth leather).

Outside of that, I've seen recommendations for Nikwax, although I'd expect this to darken the leather.

Please get another recommendation though before buying anything, at least this gives you somewhere to start.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I'd got in on the MTO - if anyone has a size 10 that they've changed their mind about do let me know.

What's the best product to use to treat a pair of calf leather Stows that will be used exclusively in wet weather? Until now I've used some Salmon goretex XA Pro trainers which are ugly but effective - is it possible to use the Stows and keep them in good condition?

probably just some decent wax polish and keeping them clean after use in harsh conditions.

They won’t be as effective as a pair of gore tex boots but can probably handle some abuse.

There are other options such a Obenaufs HDLP but this might spoil the look of the leather.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
Bit of a frost in Belfast this morning . Great excuse to wear , though none really needed , my Grassmere in conjunction with my old Burberrys Irish tweed balmacaan overcoat . Trickers go so well with this type of coat , both aesthetically and functionally .
E7C9C59B-4D3D-46D8-911F-740BBD8714F2.jpeg
C96444B4-10A9-48EE-ABF9-EAF10239D491.jpeg

Last edited:

Metrosey

Reaction score
I asked Richard about the Waxy Commander colours and he said that they did a Snuff and Black, however he said they were discontinued long ago. He shall find out for us tomorrow. I’ve got a picture of Snuff below. It doesn’t seem anything like Waxy Commander Cuba Waxy.

Attachments

• 8EC5872E-12FD-4E7F-9EBC-62C029F15717.png
    8EC5872E-12FD-4E7F-9EBC-62C029F15717.png
    979.3 KB · Views: 187

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I asked Richard about the Waxy Commander colours and he said that they did a Snuff and Black, however he said they were discontinued long ago. He shall find out for us tomorrow. I’ve got a picture of Snuff below. It doesn’t seem anything like Waxy Commander Cuba Waxy.
They made a black waxy boot I put a pic of on this last week. A monkey boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics