• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Crafty, it really depends on the pair. Those Cotto ones haven't spotted at all but the red Bourtons I wore a few weeks ago seem to spot easily. Horween shell is the same way with some pairs prone to spotting. It does seem to happen more with Comipel though.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Crafty, it really depends on the pair. Those Cotto ones haven't spotted at all but the red Bourtons I wore a few weeks ago seem to spot easily. Horween shell is the same way with some pairs prone to spotting. It does seem to happen more with Comipel though.
Thank you sir. The cipresso I have just have to think about moisture..

Metrosey

Reaction score

Any guesses as to why spotting occurs more often on Comipel? Could it even be down to the grade of horse or more likely the leather treatment process? Comipel is Japanese horse but treated in Italy if I understand correctly.

Is there a particular reason why Trickers doesn’t use Horween often, as Crockett and Jones and Church’s seem to normally have stock. Have they had a bad run with Horween in the past or just a supply and demand issue, with Trickers not wanting to pay as much for the leather compared to Crockett and Jones?

I understand how it’s going to be speculation but I’m just curious :)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
A lot of gents seem to be interested in a boot of this principal now @smuj

Your work may not be for nothing!

Pulling the conversation back to loggers for moment. I very nearly pushed the button on an MTO a few years back. Was trying to get a GMTO going but Tricker's moved the goal posts moving to a minimum order of 12 rather than the previous 6. Anyway it did not happen. I made up the following artwork for discussion with Trickers...
Inspired by the Grahame Fowler loggers I wanted a proper Zug boot (not just pebble grain). This was to replace my C&J Snowdons (which are probably a superior foul weather boot due to the veldt welt). I would not have a contrasting heel counter if doing this now but am still up for this boot. And the factory said they could still do a veldt welt (they have not done those since Skiptons). A zug, veldt logger would be the ultimate tuff outdoor boot. C'mon, you know you want a pair. Anyone for a GMTO? (had given up on Trickers GMTO as it seemed most folk are only interested finding cheap boots in the next sale rather than spending a few extra quid. Dozens of GMTO's go on with C&J but there is two years of tumble-weed blowing through the Trickers MTO forum). We could get it professionally organised by Richard at the Shoeroom Doncaster. Any interest in something along these lines? Zug veldt logger! Yes please.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of gents seem to be interested in a boot of this principal now @smuj

Your work may not be for nothing!

I really like the look of that boot. Interesting that Trickers say they can do veldt, I didn’t think that would be the case.

Unfortunately I can’t join this one as I have a Snowdon inbound. That is unless the Snowdon turns out to be unsuitable which is a possibility.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any guesses as to why spotting occurs more often on Comipel? Could it even be down to the grade of horse or more likely the leather treatment process? Comipel is Japanese horse but treated in Italy if I understand correctly.

Is there a particular reason why Trickers doesn’t use Horween often, as Crockett and Jones and Church’s seem to normally have stock. Have they had a bad run with Horween in the past or just a supply and demand issue, with Trickers not wanting to pay as much for the leather compared to Crockett and Jones?

I understand how it’s going to be speculation but I’m just curious :)

My Horween shell got spotting in the rain but it has almost completely faded away now. Plenty brushing!

I will avoid wearing them if i’m expecting rain though.

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried William Lennon? They make a few styles with hobnail soles if that's what your after.

Id be interested in finding out if anyone on here had any experience with William Lennon boots as they seem like great value for money
I tried William Lennon. I bought a pair of steel toe work boots in ‘zug’. I made the mistake of opting for the captoe instead of plain. I did a bit of manual labour that involved me getting on my hands and knees on a concrete floor. I was dismayed to find that the toe area had become damaged after only a few minutes of work. I expected the leather to be much tougher, but it grated like parmesan. I spent a long time building up the area with polish until they looked presentable again. As I seldom do manual labour these days, I sold them to somebody on the Isle of Man. Seems he was very happy.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I tried William Lennon. I bought a pair of steel toe work boots in ‘zug’. I made the mistake of opting for the captoe instead of plain. I did a bit of manual labour that involved me getting on my hands and knees on a concrete floor. I was dismayed to find that the toe area had become damaged after only a few minutes of work. I expected the leather to be much tougher, but it grated like parmesan. I spent a long time building up the area with polish until they looked presentable again. As I seldom do manual labour these days, I sold them to somebody on the Isle of Man. Seems he was very happy.
Did he have three legs?

Attachments

• CC636215-F97E-4D89-9C59-0829F81A33E3.jpeg
    CC636215-F97E-4D89-9C59-0829F81A33E3.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 47

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to hammering ? in a pair of metal Blakey ‘segs’ into my shoes and prevent further wear on my heels. (Not an easy task.) I walked around for an hour and the noise created made me feel a little self-conscious. Another pair have the rubber alternative, which is a bit thicker, but without the clang that comes with the metal. Let’s see how they wear. ???

Attachments

• 3BA7B5E8-E045-40EE-AB53-00F2DAFA1746.jpeg
    3BA7B5E8-E045-40EE-AB53-00F2DAFA1746.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 4BB80D27-3C57-4394-BD8B-D8B7A3844824.jpeg
    4BB80D27-3C57-4394-BD8B-D8B7A3844824.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 73

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My Horween shell got spotting in the rain but it has almost completely faded away now. Plenty brushing!

I will avoid wearing them if i’m expecting rain though.

I read one treatment for water spotting is to add more water and brush. I haven't tried. I usually use Lexol conditioner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads