• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Pedlar

Reaction score
The anniversary boot just looks a rather humble, solid entry to me — not disagreeing something mightier would have been welcome but it looks good to me and probably does hearken back to Trickers general-use heritage. As Crafty notes, the emphasis seems to be on British sourcing of leathers. I’m curious about the new last— derived from a “knuckle toe” last from the ‘20s, wasn’t that what the description said? What’s a knuckle toe last? As someone who enjoys the 4444 and 4497, but wishes sometimes they had just a tad less volume, I wonder how the fit compares. Also curious about the boot-within-a-boot description— does that just mean it’s lined? Anyhow, I hope someone gets a pair of these and posts a report.

Maybe the ultimate veldt zug country boot monster that we know Trickers *could* unleash is being saved for the 200th...just a decade away, gents—

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
I think in fairness they wanted to create a boot of uniquely British qualities. Independent tannery, soles etc. I find the unique last the most baffling as why would you create that as its in no way linked to anything you’ve produced before?

Agree harking back to construction methods you’ve used before but sidelined most likely to cost and time would’ve been more appropriate for a true celebration.

If they had wanted too they could have sourced the zug hides in the U.K. You don’t think a tannery could make zug in the U.K. ?

The £s cost , you factor it into the price . Even at EG veldt prices a small run Trickers veldt boot would have sold out .

This is there profession , they are at the top table of manufacturers . They should have done better , it’s their heritage they are celebrating.

Toosoupy

Reaction score
Look forward to that.

As @mrjamescost puts it. I would also like to hear a review from an ordinary persons perspective. I just want a standard good fit if such a thing exists. Not too tapered, not too skinny and not baggy.

I’d rather pay less but I am willing to pay the asking price if they justify it.

Couldn't do a full review for you as I can only just button them 2nd to top button!

I bought a 34" waist, which at the time felt a bit snug, but I hoped they would stretch out a bit/ I would shrink to fit in them. As it's turned out they just feel too tight so I tend to wear some 21oz Iron heart jeans when its a bit colder.

They are decent quality, really thick moleskin fabric. I'd say they are a fairly slim cut and are a good looking pair of autumn/winter trousers. I don't have that much experience buying this type of trouser as im more of a denim guy, but i feel like they are worth the money.
I bought them as they are fairly local and have an open day every month.
IMG_20190915_135303.jpg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Couldn't do a full review for you as I can only just button them 2nd to top button!

I bought a 34" waist, which at the time felt a bit snug, but I hoped they would stretch out a bit/ I would shrink to fit in them. As it's turned out they just feel too tight so I tend to wear some 21oz Iron heart jeans when its a bit colder.

They are decent quality, really thick moleskin fabric. I'd say they are a fairly slim cut and are a good looking pair of autumn/winter trousers. I don't have that much experience buying this type of trouser as im more of a denim guy, but i feel like they are worth the money.
I bought them as they are fairly local and have an open day every month. View attachment 1241229
nice suede Leo sir!

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
If they had wanted too they could have sourced the zug hides in the U.K. You don’t think a tannery could make zug in the U.K. ?

The £s cost , you factor it into the price . Even at EG veldt prices a small run Trickers veldt boot would have sold out .

This is there profession , they are at the top table of manufacturers . They should have done better , it’s their heritage they are celebrating.
Obviously zug can be sourced here and not disagreeing with your suggestion of what it ‘could’ have been. It isn’t and that’s a mis step in ‘our’ collective opinions.

jayvee

Reaction score

I have to agree. They’ve churned out a lot of crap recently. This is a damp squib for a 140 year birthday. They could have given us all the favourites in cordovan or Russian grain, that would have been a treat.

Mikedbfast

Reaction score
Obviously zug can be sourced here and not disagreeing with your suggestion of what it ‘could’ have been. It isn’t and that’s a mis step in ‘our’ collective opinions.

Your right .

“Could have beens” are worthless .We are armchair experts , lol ( ie , don’t know anything of the real business ) Just enjoy and appreciate, most of the time , their products

I hope the boot goes well for them . I have no reason to bear Trickers any ill will , quite the opposite to be honest .

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your right .

“Could have beens” are worthless .We are armchair experts , lol ( ie , don’t know anything of the real business ) Just enjoy and appreciate, most of the time , their products

I hope the boot goes well for them . I have no reason to bear Trickers any ill will , quite the opposite to be honest .

Agree there, I wish Trickers all the best along with all the other good English makers.

I was a little disappointed but then again I do actually quite like the tramping boot. Just not enough to rush out and buy a pair.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought them as they are fairly local and have an open day every month. View attachment 1241229

Thanks for that. The fabric looks really good and I like the colour.

Cut looks good as far as I can tell too.

I also have a pair of 21oz iron hearts. Absolutely brilliant jeans and make anything else i’ve had feel a bit rubbish in comparison. Warm but with enough ventilation to not be overbearing and softer than you’d expect but feel like they’ll last years. Wearable up to about 15c in my opinion then they might be a bit much in heat of summer (that’s a good proportion of the year they can be worn in the UK)

I have the 888 cut and love the fit, very subtle taper and high rise.

The price is a bit eye watering but they should last years. I only wish they would do some smarter models with no pocket detail etc.

Also they’ve recently introduced free repairs which is great news.

Pedlar

Reaction score
I also agree with this. I am not in the market for boots right now… So I’m very glad this listing is not my size. Hopefully someone here will get it.

PS. I had not noticed before that the much-discussed tramping boot is only being made in a run of 36 brown and 36 black. I wonder what else will be made on this new last. Surely no one commissions a new last and retires it after 72 pairs.

Toosoupy

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The fabric looks really good and I like the colour.

Cut looks good as far as I can tell too.

I also have a pair of 21oz iron hearts. Absolutely brilliant jeans and make anything else i’ve had feel a bit rubbish in comparison. Warm but with enough ventilation to not be overbearing and softer than you’d expect but feel like they’ll last years. Wearable up to about 15c in my opinion then they might be a bit much in heat of summer (that’s a good proportion of the year they can be worn in the UK)

I have the 888 cut and love the fit, very subtle taper and high rise.

The price is a bit eye watering but they should last years. I only wish they would do some smarter models with no pocket detail etc.

Also they’ve recently introduced free repairs which is great news.

I'm a huge Iron Heart fan, have pair of 777 which are a similar cut to the HebTroCo but a much lower rise. Also have a pair of 666 and did have some 888 which I sold as I found there was too much room in the top for me. Also got a few of their shirts which are fantastic

I have several pairs of Momotaro, Oni and Edwin which are all fantastic but the Iron hearts are just on another level.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those Skipton boots have been for sale for a long time. Very nice looking boots.

I would buy a rerelease if these definitely.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge Iron Heart fan, have pair of 777 which are a similar cut to the HebTroCo but a much lower rise. Also have a pair of 666 and did have some 888 which I sold as I found there was too much room in the top for me. Also got a few of their shirts which are fantastic

I have several pairs of Momotaro, Oni and Edwin which are all fantastic but the Iron hearts are just on another level.

I like the look of their shirts but haven’t been able to bring myself to pay the money yet.

I also have a couple of pairs of Edwin’s and some Cone Mills white oak 501’s all of which are nice but the Iron Hearts are far superior to any of these.

They probably are worth the price, it’s just a lot to spend on jeans in my opinion.

Metrosey

Reaction score
I like the look of their shirts but haven’t been able to bring myself to pay the money yet.

I also have a couple of pairs of Edwin’s and some Cone Mills white oak 501’s all of which are nice but the Iron Hearts are far superior to any of these.

They probably are worth the price, it’s just a lot to spend on jeans in my opinion.

It’s not boots so I’ll make this quick, Claudio Lugli makes some nice shirts for a ‘good’ price. I’ve got one, really unique and got quite a few compliments on the first day alone :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads